Magnus Hotel

Vytauto pr. 25, Kaunas, 44352, Lithuania

Magnus Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• Askla's Profile Photo

Very conveniently located hotel.

I stayed three nights at Magnus Hotel and was well satisfied with everything. It is very well located across the street from the bus station which was in my case important as I arrived in Kaunas around midnight by bus from Riga. I got a room facing the court so it was very quiet except for some dogs barking.
    The breakfast might perhaps be a little boring if you stay for a long time but for this short stay it was fine.
    The hotel is ranked as three stars.

Unique Quality: Silly to say perhaps, but I have never used a soap which has had such a wonderful smell as the one at this hotel!! :-)

More about Kaunas

Tatar mosque in KaunasTatar mosque in Kaunas

Synagogue exteriorSynagogue exterior

Accessed through this passagewayAccessed through this passageway

A famous popular singer, I believe.A famous popular singer, I believe.

BUS from Kaunas bus station to airport.

by solveiga_saule

I'll arrive in Kaunas bus station at 23.45 and my flight is at 6.30 in the morning.I have few questions.
Is it possible to get to airport so late?
Is bus station open all night, so I could take the 1st bus to airport?
And what bus number do I need?

by Durfun

Hi, The airport bus is not exactly from the main bus station complex, it is located outside it!!

Journey time is 30 minutes or so, cost is only 1.25 Lt, you buy the ticket from the driver.

This bus stop is located off the main road, at a junction, whereas the main bus station is further in.

I'm sorry I forgot the bus number, but you can look it up on the stop - there is a map, depicting the route & the bus numbers too.

Also, there is a private minibus that does the route. But you have to flag it down to stop it - it has a specific number, stuck in large lettering in the windscreen.

Relax - once you arrive at the bus station, turn right towards the main road, and look up the route map & bus times.

I have to say this city had the best local transport connection from a city centre to an airport I've ever experienced!!

by Durfun

P.S. On the map at the bus stop, you'll see a symbol for the airport - just trace that bus number back to where you are!!

Arriving from the centre, the modern airport will be on your right.

by solveiga_saule

Thank you for your answer! I checked out the schedule and it looks like the first bus to the airport is @ 3.50, so I have to spend 4 hours somewhere. Is there any good bar/cafe/club around bus station, what could be open on Thursdays night?! :)

by Durfun

Hi, Sorry, I can't remember seeing much around that area - it's not exactly pleasing to the eye!!

I'd suggest heading towards the modern Freedom avenue, about a 10 minute walk away. You can relax & unwind at Hotel Daniela - a fine establishment :-)

by Durfun

BTW You only live 'up the road' - so shouldn't you be driving in the 'hoods ??

by remigia

hi
First of all, the guy was mistaken about bus ticket price, it's 2 Lt. buying from driver, if you are student it would be 1 Lt. The ride will take longer than 30min, because nr.29 bus goes around the town center. So you don't need to stay anywhere near the bus statation. You can find some club in the central street , which is 10 min. walk from station.
I would recommend Siena, Bar Bar, B.O. is nice too, but it's litte bit further. Not far from station there is night club Amerika Pirtyje and they have lady's night every Thursday.
good luck:)
Remi:)

by solveiga_saule

Thanks for tips. Kauna was really nice city and really good place to go out also iz Dzem Pub or smth like that. Stayed up till our plane :):):)

by Durfun

Glad you had a good time :-)

Travel Tips for Kaunas

Safety and wrong prejudices

by matcrazy1

I found centre/downtown of Kaunas a safe place both at daytime and at night although maybe I was too short there to catch more accurate opinion. There were not many police seen in Kaunas but I felt there as safe as in any other European capital.

Well, I had wrong prejudicies on low personal safety in Kaunas. That's why I, at least at first, was more careful: I avoided dark backstreets at night, areas around bus and railway stations, I watched my valuables all the time etc. Well, I would be scared to enter alone districts full of huge, Soviet style apartments buildings esp. at night. Coming back to my hotel just before midnight on Friday I walked main and good lighted street - Vilniaus gatve. I felt safe although there were almost no pedastrians. Hmm... I saw one midium-age drunk man walking zig-zag with injured (he probably fell before), covered by blood, face which was unpleasant but not dangerous in any way.

Forget about car thefts but...
I was warned many times not to travel to Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia by my car because of high risk of car thefts (exactly like many visitors are warned to drive to my country, Poland). Haha, I do NOT believe in it although I don't know any official police statistics. Maybe it could happen in the past... maybe if I drive top class Mercedes car.

Well, there was something wrong about car alarms in Kaunas and generally in all Baltic states. I could hear their loud alarms many times although nothing bad happened to the cars. Low quality of alarms or what?

I drove quite new, small (but enough for two) Toyota Yaris (similar to American ECHO) which was equipped in some good (top secret :-) alarms and insuranced against thefts. And... I didn't wash my car during my trip haha. In Kaunas I parked on unguarded paid parking lots including unguarded parking lot of my hotel at night.

Skyline of Kaunas old town

by satara

While walking in Santaka park where Nemunas and Neris rivers have their confluence, I noticed that the towers of Kaunas old town churches make a perfect Baltic skyline.. And of course - deep blue sky with some lost white clouds create the typical sky of Lithuanian summer...

Guided tours

by matcrazy1

Imet a few groups guided by hired guide and walking around Kaunas from one point of tourist interest to another. I heared Russian and Lithuanian language, but there was one group guided in English as well.

To hire a guide (in Lithuanian, English, German or Russian) book in advance. Details here.

Telephone booths/boxes

by matcrazy1

This telephone booth/box, on my picture, was located at the northern side of Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste). I found quite many similar, red or brown, public phones (always for telephone cards) around both the Old Town and the New Town of Kaunas; well, not as many as in say Berlin (visited in February 2004) or esp. in US cities.

They were good example of beautiful, new and modern, Kaunas small architecture. Am I wrong?

Orange people of Kaunas

by matcrazy1

This woman, on my picture, in bright orange uniform worked as city cleaning lady early in the morning at Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste). He was armoured in typical Lithuanian broom, the same as Lithuanian witches used to fly on in the past.
Well, thanks to many orange people of Kaunas, its downtown/centre looked mostly clean :-).

Comments