S Daukanto str 21, Kaunas, 3000, Lithuania

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Past glory for little money

I really fell in love into this category of hotels and try to book one, if I am travelling through Eastern Europe. Hotels like the "Metropolis" were once very prestigious houses at their places, but were overtaken by modern hotels from the 1990s on. Located in a beautiful 19th century building, Metropolis still breathes the old charme from the communist era of the 1970s, including the furniture. Dark, wooden panels everywhere, signs of wear and tear on the wardrobe and the rest of the interior. It's like a time-trip to the Brezhnev-era, but without the fear of being tapped by the KGB. Still the room was comfortable and clean, the only real drawback was the lack of a remote control for the tv so that I had to rearrange it in order to be able to pull the plug from the bed.
    The service as well as the breakfast buffet were not splurgy, but still good. I was very satisfied with this hotel and would like to see it in this state for some long time top come. Maybe it's not everyone's taste, but I loved it!

Directions: Close to the old town, roughly between Liberty Avenue and the Devil Museum

• Cockleshell's Profile Photo

Faded Glamour but still worth the stay

Loved the very grand, if faded, reception area and stairway with all the stained glass. A good value for money hotel with adequate breakfast in a very convenient place for transport connections. An easy fifteen minutes walk to centre of Kaunas Old Town.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Worst hotel we´ve been in!

Everything was so dirty,that we were afraid to take our socks off,and it was terrible to go to shower,thinking what there might be at bathroom..
    If you go to this hotel,be sure to get a room from new side,we were hoping to get a cheap room,so we took from old side..What a mistake..In the picture it doesn´t look as bad as in true,but photo of toilet tells you more..i suggest you will enlarge my photo of toilet,before booking this..
    Breakfast was bad also-allmost nothing to eat,if you ask us.And only bread there was,was taken by big group of school-trip kids,and no-one brought new bread.. :D
    Some people has got angry from these comments.If you see my other pages,you will see that we don´t uset to go to luxorius hotels,and we don´t care if something is broken or so,but this was really something different!And it was so unclean,that I really felt bad taking my shoes of and didn´t dare to shower.I see many people have liked me being honest here.
    I understood some rooms were restored-I suggest you pay little extra for that if you go here.

Unique Quality: If you want to live like in soviet times,I belive this is it..

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hotel Metropolis

We stayed 3 nights in the Hotel Metropolis which is located in a historic building with a grand staircase and wonderful stained glass windows. The hotel dates back to 1899 and is probably in need of renovations, but this adds to its special soviet-style charm.

Our huge twin room had a little balcony and an en-suite bathroom. The price of 100 Litas (30 Euro, 2006) included a buffet style breakfast which was served in Hotel Takioji Neris which is located in K. Donelaicio gatve 27 about 10 minutes on foot from Hotel Metropolis.

In my opinion the hotel is perfect for undemanding travellers who prefer soviet style charm to international hotel chains.

Directions: Hotel Metropolis is located right in the heart of Kaunas' city centre, just off the busy Laisves aleja.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

An old style hotel in downtown

It was formerly known as Hotel Lietuva and now belongs to the Takioji Neris, about 2 blocks away where one gets a really good buffet breakfast.

Prices (2005):
    Singles 70 Litas incl. breakfast
    Doubles 100 Litas
    There are also triples and suites. If you don't want breakfast, you pay less.

I got a big enough room with a TV and balcony and the most impressive was the old style sitting bath tub (with shower) and the soviet style heating element. I liked this hotel a lot and it's smack in the center on a pedestrian street.

The next door restaurant with its disco or live music can be heard depending on where your room is. There is no lift!

Receptionists are very friendly and helpful but depending on who is there you may be lucky if understood in English with special requests but I succeeded with Russian.

I stayed several times in this hotel.

Comments