Geliu 50, Ringaudai, Kaunas, Lithuania
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Kaunas

Church exteriorChurch exterior

In its locationIn its location

City garden fountainCity garden fountain

Looking towards the Old Town.Looking towards the Old Town.

Bookshops in Kaunas

by Jolly_s

I am likely to visit Kaunas in April/May. I am a book-lover so need to know good book-shops in Kaunas (also Vilnius)where English books can be obtained/purchased.

by yumyum

In Kaunas there is a bookstore on Laives (freedom square) which is the long pedestrianised road in the center. Coming from the church end it's somewhere on the left.

In Vilnius there is one on Gediminio, also coming from the cathedral on the left somewhere.

I know they have books with stories about Lithuania in English but I don't know about novels and the like.

by evaanna

I don't quite see why you want to buy English books in an Eastern European country. I can't be sure about Lithuania but I certainly wouldn't go to Poland to buy English books. Apart from English textbooks for learning English, there are very few books available and only in a few bookshops. These are mostly either dusty classics or modern rubbish, very few ambitious novels or poetry books and certainly not the recent ones. The prices are the same as in England and the selection is very limited.

by Simulacra

Hi, I can recommend you to visit a book-shop in "Akropolis" (very big supermarket in the center of Kaunas). It has a lot of books (also in English) about art, cinema, design, photography, etc.
Also, there are few book shops in the central avenue (Laisves aleja)..

by aterola

What kind of books would you like to look for?

Travel Tips for Kaunas

Post offices and mailboxes

by matcrazy1

If you need to send mail look for yellow mailboxes as on my picture. I found two centrally located post offices in Kaunas:
1. At Town Hall Square (Rotuses aikste # 29) at its northeastern corner (corner of M. Valanciaus gatve);
2. At western part of main walking street of the New Town (Laisves al. # 102) by Zoological Museum (on northern side of the street).
I didn't see more post offices in the centre/downtown of Vilnius but I saw a few mailboxes for example outside Museum of Devils.

Post stamps for postcards sent ANYWHERE outside Lithuania costed 1.00 Lt or 1.20 Lt (priority). Up-to-date rates here.

Call home

by matcrazy1

I found quite many public phones (always for telephone cards) around both the Old Town and the New Town of Kaunas. well, not as many as in say Berlin (visited in February 2004) or esp. in US cities. But I can't complain, in any doubts read below. There was no phone book inside the phone boots but (very nice surprice :-) exact information how to use it in English.

I remember times of the Soviet Union, the country which occupied Lithuania till 1990. Once my father tried to call home (in Poland) from Lviv (Ukraine, now) that was from the Soviet Union. Hmm... it's another story. Simply it was almost impossible, it took many hours (first a trip to the only one post office which offered in theory such possibility for foreigners), passport check-ups, special permissions etc. I though they called to Moscow to allow my father to call Poland that time. Hmm... they really didn't want people to contact without their full control. OK, times luckily changed :-))).

Free calls (no card required):
01 - Fire Station,
02 - Police
03 - First Aid
04 - Gas Emergency.

Lithuanian beer: Svyturys

by HORSCHECK

Svyturys is a popular beer brand in Lithuania. The brewery is located in Klaipeda and was established in 1784. They produce various sorts of beer like wheat beer (Baltas), dark beer (Baltijos) and of course lager beer (Ekstra).

Nowadays Svyturys is owned by Baltic Beverages Holding which is controlled by the Carlsberg breweries.

On my trip through Lithuania I tried a few Lithuanian beers and I must admit that Svyturys Ekstra was among my favourites.

Colorful fences

by matcrazy1

I found a few old, wooden or brick and neglected fences around yards of local, old apartments buildings. Most of them were luckily painted, like on my picture, in form of colorful graffiti. Well, there were no unpleasant (I mean rude words or so) graffiti in the part of Kaunas I visited (centre/downtown), or I didn't find any.

Grey and colorful Kaunas

by matcrazy1

There were quite many old houses not renovated and not painted for years in Kaunas, even at the same heart of the Old Town. Their walls were often grey or almost black (high air pollution?). They didn't look pretty. But some locals, like the owner of this balcony, on my picture, put colorful flowers at windows and on balconies which added some colours to the grey background.

Comments