Karaimu 53 A., Trakai, LT 21104, Lithuania
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Trakai

TrakaiTrakai

Karai houses, custom and Kenesa from the frontKarai houses, custom and Kenesa from the front

Trakai, Karaim Kenesa from the back (no apsis)Trakai, Karaim Kenesa from the back (no apsis)

Karaite KenesaKaraite Kenesa

Trakai from Vilnius

by adelaidebs

Does visiting Trakai require a full day or just a half day? I plan to go there from Vilnius and back.

What is the best time of the day to visit the castle, for photography, morning or afternoon?

Regards,
Adelaide

by remigia

hi
Visiting Trakai half day is enough if you just want to see the castle. It's better done in the first half of the day. Just check the castle opening time and bus schedule before planing your trip.
cheers
Remi:)

by adelaidebs

Hi Remi,

Do you recommend visiting anything else other than the castles?

Regards,
Adelaide

by thetravelguy

Not sure if the poster has gone already to see for him or himself, but I just got back from Lithuania last week. I'd second the fact that a 1/2 day will suffice. Its a bit of small town which has a lot of charm, but from what I saw, the castle was the main attraction. There's a nice eatery on the mainland that has fantastic views of the castle and its fun just to take in the sights and for people watching.

Hope this was of help.

TG

Travel Tips for Trakai

Information

by ginte

If you haven't found an information you were looking for at my Trakai page, take a look at the official Trakai website: http://www.trakai.lt I'm sure that there you'll find all information you need: schedules of the buses, restaurants, accomodation, history of Trakai, etc.

Orientation and hours

by matcrazy1

There was this map, on my picture, put by the entrance to the Trakai insular castle. Enlarge it and look, please. The castle consisted of the two parts:
1. Forecastle - on the bottom, larger part in area, there was part of castle exposition there (in western wing of a yard);
2. Main castle (called Palace) - upper-right on my picture, smaller in area but higher, residential area of the castle which housed historical exposition.

The two parts were seperated by deep moat and connected by a drawbridge. The moat was dry. When you walk around the castle you can walk along there.

HOURS
Summer season:
Monday to Sunday 10.00 am - 7.00 pm
Winter season:
Tuesday to Sunday 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Warning: castle bookstore and souvenir stores closed earlier, at 5.00 or 6.00 pm. Well, there was no explanation when summer season started and ended. June was summer season. Hmm... I think that summer is from May till September (but maybe June to August only). Excuse, I don't know.

Old or new castle?

by matcrazy1

The Trakai castle was built in the late 14th century. I could see this scale model of Trakai castle from 1950, on my picture, in the castle museum. As I noticed most of the forecastle and many parts of the Palace were completely destroyed that time. Hmm... larger part of the castle, I could admire, was not authentic but newly built.

Karaites

by albert34

The first karaite families were settled in Trakai in the XIV Century by the Gran Duke Vitautas.They came from Crimea and they brought with them their religion(jewish),their tartar (turkish) accent and customs.Nowadays they are only a few.
I ate an exotic food made in Trakai for the karaites.It is called "kibinai",a kind of cake with meat and baken in the oven

Basketball + beer = friendship

by matcrazy1

I saw a lot of gifts and souvenirs referred to basketball sold in Trakai and generally in Lithuania. There were T-shirts with Lithuanian basketball players, with beer mug and inscription: "Vilnius = friends forever".

Well, my recommendation, is to get to know more about Lithuanian basketball (follow the link below), before you go to Lithuania. Unfortunately, I was ignorant on that subject when I was talking with my young friends in Vilnius :-(. They were proud of great succeses of Lithuanian basketball. I think that basketball was very good topic to start talking with esp. young locals. I could say: beer + basketball = friendship in Lithuania.

Comments