A V Goda

St Peter & St Paul Church  -  VilniusSt Peter & St Paul Church - Vilnius

St Anne's exterior: wonderfully twiddlySt Anne's exterior: wonderfully twiddly

Through the Gates of DawnThrough the Gates of Dawn

St.Anne's churchSt.Anne's church

Siauliai: any lockers big enough for backpack?

by Poling

Planning to go Vilnius from Riga, stop by Siauliai in between. A friend of mine been there two years ago said there was no locker for backpack. Is that true? I don't want to climb the Hill of Crosses with my backpack!!

Re: Siauliai: any lockers big enough for backpack?

by brrr

Bus station was reconstructed recently, though I'm not sure about the locker, especially big enough for backpack.
There was locker near the train station, i.e. in the separate building, but one had to ask the key or something. There should be a window "Informacija" - it is a place to ask about this all. I guess you won't be the first who ask about it.

Re: Siauliai: any lockers big enough for backpack?

by joebarcas

The Hill of Crosses is not all that steep. I'm not sure how big a backpack you are talking about, but it should not be a major problem for you. It may be a bit bulky to manuever, but the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Travel Tips for Vilnius

Panorama of Vilnius

by LanaFromRiga

If you go to Vilnius you have to learn one man’s name. It is Gedeminas. Sorry, I haven’t exact information about this person, but I understood that hi was very important king of Lithuania. In the picture is the museum of Gedeminas. The great view of Vilnius is from gedeminas Museum's tower.

Internet cafes

by matcrazy1

If you are addicted to VT more than me... go to one of internet/cyber cafes ("interneto kavine") in Vilnius centre/downtown. Well, I did find only one of them - were there more?

This one on my picture was located at the backyard of Piles gatve 22 and was called Collegium (go through the gate, the cafe on your left - look at the map).

The cafe was small (only one computer was free when I was there), open from 8.00 am to midnight. Well, it was expensive as for Lithuania: 6.00 Lt per hour or 2.00 Lt per 15 min. Later in Lithuania I did find internet cafes at the price 4.00 or even 2.00 Lt per hour. More: here.

Labas ("Hello" in Lithuanian)

by Grazina

The people of Lithuania are very loving and caring people...but it does take awhile to get to know them...and once you have the patients to allow yourself the time and effort you have a friend for life ;o))

I was lucky enough to be housed by 2 Lithuanian girls that I met back in 1999 at Page America. It took me 4 years to reconnect person to person or face to face, BUT want a reunion. I missed my girls (I'm their Navajo Auntie). I gave them my clan (Towering House people), and gave them Navajo names...Irma I named Nizhoni' (Beautiful), because not only did I see beauty on the exterior, but I also saw inner beauty as well. Grazina I named Shash Yazhi (Teddy Bear), because with her I saw gentle and sweetness plus innocents. The picture shows them with gifts I brought back from the "REZ". The food you see on the table was prepared for me that 1st night in Vilnius...As^tave myliu Mergaites.

Chess anyone?!?!

by Grazina

If you find yourself in a nice quiet park with benches then for sure you will find nice little old men who know their game of chess. Don't be afraid to ask to play...who knows, you might win a round.

Unique chaos

by matcrazy1

Looking at the old town from the top of Gediminis Tower I could see never ending labirynth of different roofs covered by various, mostly red tiles.

Vilnius old town looked for me a little bit chaotic with almost no straight streets, different houses put up in somewhat secret and chaotic way. Simply, I couldn't find any order there. It was rather unique among old European cities. Was (is) the chaos characteristic for the East (of Europe, I mean)? I am not sure... although... the first was chaos :-)

Comments