Conti

Expedia.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Comfortable 4* hotel in good location

We booked this through www.venere.com due to its price and location. 5% discount as our stay was for 7 nights and 10% discount for being on Venere mailing list.
    1x standard double room with buffet breakfast for 7 nights 454.86 Euros (we could have had free parking too)
    Although we were on a budget, this hotel came in under budget. As we were here for a week, we wanted somewhere where we could relax between sight seeing/ eating out.
    Our room was spacious and comfortable, and we also chilled out in the lounge/bar. We didn't get time to try out the Fitness suite/sauna.
    We were very pleased with our choice

Arriving in the early hours of Sunday morning, we were checked in efficiently, and handed our card key to our room on the 3rd floor, reached by lift (elevator) or stairs.
    We were ready for a drink, and I was hoping that there would be a kettle/tea making facillities. There wasn't, but there was a mini bar !- so it was a beer each, while we unpacked etc.

Our air conditioned room had twin beds (We'd expected a double), wardrobe space, dressing table/writing desk, armchairs, TV (with BBC World news/CNN), long mirror.
    our view was over the glass roofed restaurant.
    En-Suite Bathroom - Over bath shower, Wash basin, WC, hair dryer, razor point, plenty of space for toiletries etc.
    Complimentary soap, shower gel, shampoo, shower cap, wash cloth.
    Fluffy towels - there was a notice encouraging guests to use their towels for more than one day - no problem for us, so we hung our towels on the rail as instructed each day (place in the bath or on the floor! if you want fresh towels) and each day, we'd come back to find fresh towels!

Breakfast is served daily 07.00 - 10.00 (11.00 at weekends) in the ground floor restaurant. Room Service available.

Hot and cold Buffet - We found that when we arrived for breakfast around 09.30 for the first few days, much of the hot food had gone and wasn't replaced, or somedays the eggs had congealed .
    Usual selection of scrambled egg, sausages, bacon, fried eggs, boiled eggs, also pancakes.

The hotel is popular with tour groups, who probably eat early before setting off for the day. It's also popular with business people/conference groups etc

I enjoyed the fresh grapefruit/orange/grapes/kiwi fruit and pineapple in juice.
    Cereals, yogurts and what I think was curd - it seems to feature on most menus - similar to cottage cheese
    Selection of cold meats, cheeses, fish, breads (I particularly enjoyed the caraway seed bread)
    Toaster available (it could be a bit slow)
    Cakes, pastries, croissants/pain au chocolat
    Choice of 2 'juices' - I'm not sure if these were heavily diluted or made from powder - not entirely pleasant.
    Coffee available from Vacuum jug, along with hot water and selection of tea bags. Our first morning this consisted of a range of fruit teas and green tea - Hmmmm - luckily, I found an Earl Gray teabag. The following days, there was a wider selection.

We ate in the hotel twice in the evening. There is quite an extensive menu. Food served until 23.00

Our first night I wasn't feeling too well, so we decided to eat in - I thoroughly enjoyed my soup - although I had ordered beef and lamb and Phil had ordered tomato, he ended up eating my meat soup, while I got fish soup!
    Another night it was raining heavily and the temperature had dropped, so we decided to stay warm and dry.
    Again, I enjoyed my meal and finished it with an Irish Coffee.
    Quite a good selection of beers and spirits in the bar, along with a rather nice Argentinian white wine.
    leather couches/booths in bar/lounge

Laundry/dry cleaning service.
    Shoe polisher near lift

Wifi in reception and some rooms

Copies of 'Vilnius in your pocket', maps, the English language 'Baltic Times', tourist info at reception.

Safety deposit boxes behind reception for a small daily fee - 2 keys to open- one held by reception/one by user.

Post Cards/gifts - mainly amber stuff/fridge magnets.
    Stamps can be purchased from the Kiosk across the main road.

Hotel Conti surprisingly doesn't have a currency exchange. I think the nearest is at the railway station, but I could have misheard.
    My info from Venere gave the price for our room in Euros and stated that it was cash only, no credit cards. So, we were surprised to find that on checking out it was payment in Litas or credit card - Luckily Phil had packed plastic!

Flying with Wizzair proved a slight inconvenience in that you can only check in online 7 days to 3 hours prior to departure, which meant that we'd have to print our 'boarding cards' in Vilnius. (Ryanair and Easyjet, who I fly with frequently allow checking in 15 days prior to departure.
    Well thanks to helpful VTers, (especially aterola who personally 'phoned the hotel to find out about printing off our boarding cards) I found out that this wouldn't be a problem Forum replies
    The reception staff were very helpful, and I eventually succeeded in printing off the 'cards'
    The hotel lap top used by guests was having a strop (a 'helpful' guest had decided to update the software - when we left after breakfast it had been on number 14 of 72 for quite a long time!), so I was shown into the hotel office, where again the computer wasn't co-operating, so I was offered the use of the hotel reception computer (much to the bemusement of the staff that had just changed shift) which worked straight away - Result!!!

So, would I stay here again ? Certainly! Would I recommend it? Yes.

Unique Quality: Apparently some rooms have views over the old town etc - ours didn't!

Stepping outside the hotel, leads into a small square with benches surrounding a column with a large egg balancing on a 'nest' of branches.

Most days, we spotted a group of men sitting here smoking/drinking and chatting. One or two had wooden crutches. At first I was a bit wary of these, but they didn't bother us at all.
    When we first arrived at our hotel, we went for a short walk around the square, and spotted one man sleeping in a doorway on a mattress, surrounded by articles of clothing/foot wear.

Surrounding the square is a shop selling a wide array of toiletries/make up etc, a clothes shop, then a 'Spa' an off licence, and one of our favourite Vilnius bars (we never got to try the bar directly opposite the hotel entrance) and a lovely patisserie/confectioners!

The square opens onto the busy Pylimo Gatve, where you can get the #1 trolleybus to the Television Tower. Cross this road opposite the kiosk and if you turn Right you reach the Halles Market - follow the road round and you come to The Gates of Dawn.

If you take the road just to the left of the kiosk, Rudninku, you are a few steps from The Church of All Saints and a short walk from the centre of the Old Town.

Turn Left on Pylimo Gatve, and you're a few metres from the Choral Synagogue.
    We walked to the Genocide museum along this road, where it becomes Pamenkalnio, then J.Jasinkio (here you'll see the museum sign-posted)

Directions: Old Town between All Saints Church and Choral Synagogue

500m from rail/bus station

• kailung's Profile Photo

It's good - it's VERY good....

Have spent quite a few nights at this hotel and highly recommend it. Service is impeccably courteous and efficient, decor of the highest standard and beautifully-presented rooms. Immaculate reception area, lovely bar and fine restaurant - it's quite out of place in the slightly-shabby area in which it is located. Have only stayed in the cheapest 'garret' rooms so far, which are ideal for a single person and represent a real bargain for a single traveller at around £55 a night for luxury accommodation.

Directions: Walk about 5 minutes from train station along Pylimo avenue and turn left.

Comments