51 Rue d'Asselborn, Troisvierges, L-9907, Luxembourg

Travel Tips for Troisvierges

A walk from Clervaux to Troisvierges

by Eberhard

"Starting from home"

I am living in a smaller commune west of Luxembourg city; in Mamer.
It was a warm and sunny summer day when I decided to take a walk and using a CFL proposed itenary.
It is ten minutes to walk to my local train station.
It is very convenient and a nice little station, or not?

"And continue to walk"

From the forest the trail leeds you again through the fields.

The whole way I did not meet anyone, except two farmers working in the fields. During summer time there are, however quite a few tourists in this area. Most of them are Dutch, camping on one of the many camping grounds, or Belgians

"Some flowers"

There are many flowers on the roadside.
Also lots of blackberries, which will be ripe around the middle of Augiust. I tried some of them already, but they were still too small.

Fampous for this area is also the broom, developing in some areas a real sea of yellow blossom.

"Maulusmühle"

About halfway there is a small Hotel/Restaurant where you can rest or also stay overnight, in case you like. Not much confort though. There is at the same time a train stop and only one or two houses.

A few years ago I was staying there for a weekend and it was very nice.

Auberge Maulusmühle
Maison 8
L-9974 Maulusmühle
Tel.: 00352 99 82 02

"Farming"

Working in the fields with a tractor.

One of the only two persons I saw during my walk.

In the meantime some wind was coming up together with some dark clouds. I better speed up a little bit or I would get wet.
I did not have to worry though, there was no rain coming in the end

"Monastry"

Passing by a monastry called "Cinqfontaines" (five fountains). Seven hundred jews were deported from here to Auschwitz during the war.

There ara also other signs still to be seen, which remind of the second world war and the battle of the Ardennes.

"Road"

I am not placing any pictures anymore, because I think you got the idea what is ecxpecting you on a walk like this.

If you like nature and you have time to spend a day in Luxembourg, take a walk with the CFL, and you will have a permanent impression of the little country. About 90% of the surface is still forest and fields.

"Troisvierges"

A little later I saw Troisvierges in front of me. It took another 30 minutes to reach the station.

"Gare Troisvierges"

Here I am. Three and a half hours without taking a break. My water bottles were empty and I was wet from the heat on the whole body.
I did enjoy the walk, like I did many (about hundred ??)others before.
Luxembourg invites you to have a look at its country side and you will not regret it, regardless at what time of the year. You just need to be dressed accordingly.

Have Fun

"By train"

So, why don't you come with me? The overall idea is to take the train to Luxembourg city, from there to Clervaux. Then walk to Troisvierges and come back by train from Troisvierges.

All in all about six to seven hours!!

"Luxembourg Main Station"

At the main station I had to wait a few minutes for my connection to Clervaux.
So I walked around and took a picture of the station.
There is a lot of traffic around.
By the way: for a day like this you buy a one day ticket, which is valid for all trains and all buses in Luxembourg. It costs you 180 LUF, which is about 4 US$.

A very convenient way to let the car in the garage.

"Art on Cows"

In front of the main station you can see one of the 202 cows, part of the "art of cows" exibition this year throughout the whole city. In September you could buy one, if you like one for your garden?!

"Arriving Clervaux"

It takes one hour to go by train to Clervaux. The picture shows you the train station.
I now have to follow the CFL sign No. 40, which will lead me 14 KM to Troivierges.
It is pretty hot today and I know I will be sweatening.
There is, however, sufficient water in my "Rucksack".

"Need a rest?? (already?)"

In case you came from further away and need to drink/eat something already now, or you would like to stay overnight in the area, there is a Hotel right at the train station:

Hotel International
10, grnad rue
L-9710 Clervaux

"Leaving Clervaux"

But now I am on the road. A few minutes later I am leaving Clervaux, but I am still having car traffic on the street.
I will have to contuinue for about 15 minutes before I will reach the fields and the forest.

Watch the walking signs from the CFL very closely. They are pretty small and you can overlook them.
Sometimes they are also painted in light green on the trunk of the trees.

"Through the fields"

Now I am leaving the streets and enter into the fields and the forest.

Again an advice: when you do not see the signs anymore for a longer period and or where there is a road crossing, you better walk back until you find the signs again. To get lost in this area without having a map is not dangerous, but it may take you quite some time to find the next village (without a train station!!)

"Through the forest"

It is nice in the shadow!

The forest is rather varied. And there are valleys and hills, while the height difference is not more than about 150 to 200 meters. With the temperature above 30 degrees Celsius it is sufficient, however.

Comments