Hotel du Commerce
16, Place du Marche, Echternach, L-6460, Luxembourg
More about Echternach
Chipka pass on the path to Hohllay, 22-05-2009
The orangerie, 22-05-2009
Basilique and Abbey of Echternach, 22-05-2009
Travel Tips for Echternach
The old church was restored in 1862 and consecrated in Sept., 1868. Another solemn translation of the relics took place on 4 June, 1906, from the Church of St. Peter to the new basilica. On this occasion occurred also the annual procession of the holy dancers (see ECHTERNACH, ABBEY OF. -- The Dancing Procession). Five bishops in full pontificals assisted; engaged in the dance were 2 Swiss guards, 16 standard-bearers, 3045 singers, 136 priests, 426 musicians, 15,085 dancers, and 2032 players (Studien u. Mittheilungen, 1906, 551).
Gorge de loup
That's why we love it so
You can walk in the woods for hours and hours without see somebody and then suddenly you are in the middle of a village.
The link is only written in dutch but it says,
When you go to Luxembourg there's one thing you must have seen and done.
The gorge de loup walk.
Watch the pictures
This early center of European Christianity was heavily damaged during World War II, but we're glad to report that it has been completely restaurated
Its narrow medieval streets, ancient ramparts and old patrician houses still impart a feeling of centuries past. The scenic Gorge du Loup, the Museum of Prehistory, a Benedictine abbey (today a school) and a 7th-century basilica (beautifully painted vaults and frescoes and the white marble sarcophagus of its founder, St. Willibrord) are among the town's highlights. The town is also known for its centuries-old Whittuesday dancing procession in May or June (depending on the year), which attracts many pilgrims and visitors. We suggest at least a one-day visit. 20 mi/32 km northeast of Luxembourg City.
The Summer residence of the abbots
Schloss Weilerbach. Abt Emanuel Limpach aus Echternach ließ das Gebäude durch den Tiroler Baumeister Paul Mungenast 1777-80 errichten. Vom Schlafzimmer des Abtes führte eine verborgene Treppe in den Weinkeller.
1780 nach Plänen von Paul Mungenast für den Abt von Echternach als Verwaltungssitz der Eisenhütte errichtetes Schloß; 1944/45 schwere Kriegsschäden; in jüngster Zeit Restaurierung der Gebäude und Gartenanlage mit Pavillon, Beginn der Sicherungsarbeiten für die Ruinen der Hüttenanlage
Als kunst- und kulturhistorischer Juwel präsentiert sich das nahe Bollendorf gelegene Schloß Weilerbach erbaut 1777 - 1780 vom letzten Abt der Abtei Echternach, Emmanuel Limpach. Es gibt Zeugnis von der geschichtlichen Verflechtung mit den luxemburgischen Nachbarn. Die sehr eindrucksvolle Anlage umfaßt zudem einen groß angelegten Barockgarten mit Pavillon und Brunnenhaus.
Weilerbach Chateau. Abbot Emanuel Limpach from Echternach had this house built
by the Tirolian Master Builder Paul Mungenast from 1777-80. Inside of the
Abbot’s sleeping chambers, there is a secret staircase that goes from the
bedroom down to the wine cellar.
Built as a clerical residence in 1780 from the architecture plans by Paul
Mungenast as the Echternach Abbey, to serve as an administration facility for
the steel mill, it suffered heavy war damage in 1944/45; and was restored during
the post-war period, including its gardens and pavilion, Recently they have even
started to restore the old steel mill.
Weilerbach Chateau represents an architectural and historical jewel, which lies
near the village of Bollendorf, and was built between 1777 and 1780, sponsored
by the last Abbot from Echternach Abbey, Emmanuel Limpach. It is a silent
witness to the historically woven fabric with it’s Luxembourg neighbour. The
impressive ensemble also contains a large baroque garden with a pavilion and a
with thanks and gratitude to weissdorn
Echternach - The Sure valley
The valley of the Sauer (Sure)
Echternach was discovered by the Romans in the 1st century B.C. They too, seemed to
like the picturesque valley created by the river „Sauer“ ( today’s borderline to Germany)
and surrounded by woods.
The Romans were mainly merchants from nearby Trier ( a town 30 miles into Germany)
and they made Echternach their second base.
In the 7th century the region of Echternach belonged partly to King Pipin of Herstal
(Franken, Germany) and partly to Irmina, Abbess of Oeren (near Trier).
In 698 the Abbess donated part of her lands to the Irish Benedictine monk Willibrord who encouraged the protestant development on the Continent.
Popular Hotels in Echternach