Topaz Hotel Bugibba

Triq Erba' Mwiezeb, Bugibba, Island of Malta, SPB 03, Malta

Good For No Data
  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Great place to stay

The Topaz hotel is situated just ten minutes walk from the centre of town and is close to local shops and restaurants.My partner and i went all inclusive here and i must say was excellent value for money.The hotel has thousands of rooms,two pools one of which is indoor,clean and spacious rooms,a very large dinning area and two indoor bars as well as pool bar.Other great facilities include:internet section with computers,wi-fi,piano lounge,tour section for booking trips and 24 hour reception.The food was fabulous for breakfast,lunch and dinner with a great choice for all eating habits,spoilt for choice most nights with fish,various cold and hot meats,soups,salads,pasta and plenty of deserts to keep you going as well as a good selection of wines,beers and spirits and soft drinks.Staff go out of there way to help any time of day and are very friendly and informative.Would definately come here again and can well recommend it.

Unique Quality: Great hospitality,fabulous choice of food,good bars.

Directions: Five minutes walk from St.Paul's roundabout or ten minutes from Bugibba square.

• intertraveler's Profile Photo

Not quite four stars but OK.

This Hotel is in more residential area so there was not much noise at night.
    About 15 min walk to St Pauls Bay or the square in Bugibba.

We were self catering and our room was over the pool bar overlooking the pool area. The room was A/C and had all the usual equipment for s/c, towels changed every day.

The hotel as two anexes linked by under ground passages. There is a buffet restaurant and a Italien restaurant also. We paid for breakfast one morning at 6.50 euros each, you can buy a breakfast at a lot off places for less than 3 euros.

The pool area was good and there was plenty off sunbeds also you can buy snacks at the pool bar which we did one day I had a nice sandwiche and a few beers also.
    There is entertainment by the pool bar most nights and a good thing the music stops about 23.30.

The reception is large and there was a pub also just past the reception.

We enjoyed our stay with no complaints and I would use this hotel again also it was kept clean.

Unique Quality: I liked the Location but a lot off people may not agree especialy with someone with walking difficultes.

The staff seamed friendly.

Directions: Just off the main road going into Bugibba near the Cinama.

• Topaz Hotel

We stayed here in Feb/March 2008 and found it was good value for what we paid (not very much
    as it was a late deal! - £200 each for B&B including flights form Glasgow) We are pretty fit and so spent a lot of time away from the hotel walking and
    only really spent time here in the evenings.
    The breakfast was a buffet with a choice of fruit, cold meats, breads,rolls, cheese, juices, coffee, tea, cereals, yougurt,bacon, sausage, eggs and fried
    potatoes every morning - all served as a buffet so as much as you want.
    The outdoor pool was closed but the indoor one was open but it is SMALL and dark - 5 swimming strokes will get you along the length of it! There was also only 1 x shower and at the time we were there the sauna was not working.
    There was entertainment in the bar every night but unfortunately we were in a room above the bar
    (2 floors above and 5 rooms along) so we could lie in bed and listen to the music coming up through
    the structure of the building. The restaurant/bars are under the rooms immediately behind reception so if your are 'early-to-bed' try to avoid these. After 2 nights we asked for a move
    and we were moved to another block of rooms across the road (accessed via a tunnel from
    main reception) This was MUCH quieter with no traffic in the corridors as there were only 6 rooms
    on each floor - the rooms also 'seemed' to have been refurbished.
    Buses through St Pauls bay are about 200 yards away - these run north and south up and down
    the island.
    The hotel is about 1/2 mile from the main restaurants/bars in Buggibba so should not get much
    noise from those however in March about 1/2 of these were closed.
    A good basic hotel handy for the buses and was quiet at the time we stayed.

More about Topaz Hotel Bugibba

WHAT A GOOD ONE

by JIMAL about TOPAZ HOTEL

ONLY 5 MINUTES WALK FROM THE CENTRE OF BUGIBBA.YOU PASS MANY FRIENDLY BARS AND CAFES.THE STAFF AT THE HOTEL ARE SUPERB,NOTHING IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE.THE EMERALD RESTAURANT SERVES REALLY GOOD FOOD WITH PLENTY OF VARIETY.THE BARS ARE BRILL WITH TRULY FRIENDLY STAFF. THE ROOMS ARE SPACIOUS AND COMFORTABLE. CLEANLINESS IS TOP RATED. JUST A FANTASTIC PLACE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FRIENDLINESS OF THE STAFF.VERY GOOD POOL AREA WITH LARGE POOLSIDE BAR. CENTRAL YET PEACEFUL SETTING

Nice view

by Kushelkitten about Bayside

Nice quiet, inexpensive restaurant in Bugibba, Malta. Located on the water side of Islet Promenade it has a great view overlooking St. Paul's Island. A few tables are indoors but most are outside giving it a cafe like atmosphere.
Wide variety of food on the menu from breakfast, to pizza, pasta, grill dishes etc. The salads here are excellent especially the chicken with pineapple. Made fresh to order comes with small sides of bean salad and potato salad.

Caution required!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ta.Bug

We have just returned from a self-catering, week long stay at the Topaz Hotel in Bugibba. Having read a numbr of 'mixed' reviews before we departed, we were a little confused as to what to expect, however 'mixed' would probably accurately sum up our experiences at this hotel.

Good points: Very nice reception area; a clean, spacious room; a number of helpful staff members; reasonably priced drinks in pleasant bar; nice pool

Bad points: Marathon to get to room, (132 steps, lift with no lighting and situated in another block via warren-like tunnels); apart from the reception area, definitely not the 4* standard described; foul smell in bathroom for 2 days, (due to blockage in drain system); poor view and no balcony; nowhere near enough sun loungers for the number of guests, (only enough for about 25% of guests); a large number of school parties staying, which meant noisy corridors, litter, (and even a fight in the main recption area!)

Overall, if you get a good deal and are expecting to get what you pay for, you won't be too disappointed. However, if you think you have got a total bargain and are expecting 4* luxury for 2* prices then you won't be a happy bunny!!

loved buggiba

by TripAdvisor Member Sammy2010Birmingham

My husband and daughter stayed at the Topaz from 2nd to the 9th of May 2006 the reception is of 4star the rest is of 3 star quality, the room we stayed in was very clean and spacious the hotel bar is lovely and all of the staff are very helpful. There is maid service everyday which is helpful when u have a messy 5 year old' i'll be honest as a head chef and husband a second chef we just about managed to tolerate the food for 2 days and that was enough for us,if we would have carried on our daughter would have lost loads of weight so we ate out every breakfast , lunch and dinner. lovely restaurants and bars just 5 mins away i would stop at the topaz again , but i would not go h/b again
there is a lovely outside and in door pool. Buccaneers bar and restaurant do a lovely breakfast,as bayside and 2 keys do a lovely dinner i, definately going back next year but i,ll stay at the buccanneers as they offer a guest house accomodation with brekkie and 3 course dinner per person for only 7 lira per night .

Loved the topaz...definatly would return.

After reading all these negative reviews i felt i just had to show future travellers that the topaz isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Me and my family, (including my disabled nan) stayed in the Topaz a few years back and loved every second of it. The food was brilliant and every meal was cooked to perfection. The hotel staff were polite and did everything they could to help improve your stay. The pool area was fantastic, and it never felt like you were ontop of anyone else or in their way. The only downfall of the hotel was its overall location. Other than that everything was fantastic and catered for the needs of everyone, with or without special requirments.

Night and day.

Just returned from a week in th eTopaz Hotel booked through Chevron Malta Holidays.
Arriving in the small hours was given a room which could have been in a different town
such was the trek to get there. The room had a pool of water in the middle of the floor,
bathroom was dirty with the shower hanging of the wqll - generally a very 'tired' room
and never could it be described as 4* Did manage to complain and was promised a
change - this did not materialise until Saturday afternoon, two days after arrival, even
this was not forthcoming until the threat to walk out was made, having lived out of a
suitcase for two days. The 'view' from the balcony had to be seen to be believed, a
shanty town description would be flattery! When I did eventually get a change of room
the difference was night and day, such a pity that this had to be contested as thiis
room was exceptionally nice overlooking the swimming pool and in an excellent state of
decoration with quality furnishings and added to the excellent dining room buffet service,
I'm at a loss to understand why this establishment allows it's standards to drop. The
only way I'd agree to return here would be with a guarantee to be housed in the
superior part of the establishment.

It'sd not that bad!!

I was absolutely dreading comng to the Topaz after reading all these reviews, but have just returned today and I have to say it is nowhere near as bad as some poeple will have you believe.

Yes, the rooms are a little tired in places, but they are clean and if you request a Pool View, they have a lovely balcony overlooking the marquee where the evening entertainment plays. I went All Inclusive and didn't leave the hotel once all week. I can't say the food was my cup of tea, but it was edible, and if you love salads/veggies you'll be very happy. I personally prefer meat and fish. There'a always a pasta dish, which is usually quite nice.

It's a bit rough round the edges, the staff go from one extreme to the other; either lovely or miserable. There is one man behind thw Pool Bar whi so was so cranky I was actually scared of asking for a drink. I got the feeling he was totting up in his head how much worth I'd got out of my All Inclusive wristband that day! The chap at Royal Oak is lovely, and there are many delightful staff (peppered with one or two who seem to feel its a huge effort getting you a drink or a spoon or whatever you ask for, particularly in the restaurant)

The entertainment is reasonably good- a variety of four acts aclternating each night. Ernest the singer is particularly good, there are two ladies who sing Disco/charts etc and a Country and Western.I missed the fourth one. I was appalled though by the staff, who proceeded to clean away tables and chair before the act had finished. They would wander across the stage carrying tables so they could get off home earlier! Thought that was very rude for the sake of another 4-5 minutes.

If you have young children (under 3) I would advise hiring the babysitting at 2.50 lira an hour (£4.30) she is very good. I used her for 5 hours a day, she's called Joanne and is excellent. My little boy loved goinjg, and she taught him Maltese words and toook him for ice cream, I was very happy with the service provided in this respect- always reliable, punctual and professional, as well as kind and warm to my 2 year old son.

I would go back to the Topaz, we only paid £1300 for 3 adults and a child All Inclusive for 1 week, so we can hardly complain if the odd thing here and there wasn't completely perfect. I enjoyed mysely anyway!

Stay away from this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are thinking of booking this hotel....... Please don`t, it is truly awful!!!!!!!!!!

1/ Half the rooms are in a completely different annex and some 5 floors beneath the hotel. These rooms are awful, looking out to brick walls, sewerage pipes and air vents. It took us 3 room changes to find one that is decent.

2/ The pool area is dirty, with various locals hogging it and being very protective of sunbeds.

3/ The food is disgusting. Tried a breakfast and ate out the rest of the time.

4/ The bar smells foisty.

We really weren`t expecting an unbelievable hotel, for the price we payed, but this wasn`t even of a 2 star standard. It really isn`t clean and this grossed me out. If you can- avoid this hotel like the plague. If already booked, try and head out as much as poss. Buggiba is nice, with lots of lovely bars and restaurants and the buses take you to various differnt parts of malta.

Topaz Hotel- Bugibba, MaltaTopaz Hotel- Bugibba, Malta

Bugibba
Malta

Re: Lawrences foodstore conversion St Bugibba

by danielson81

I had a quick look and couldn't find anything, but here is how I went about it for future reference! :)

I googled "Conversion Street Bugibba" to get the road name in Maltese.

Then I went here (http://postcodes.maltapost.com/) to check the postcode and confirm list of addresses in the street and got this:

LAWRENCE FOOD STORE TRIQ PATRI GUZEPP CALLEJA BUGIBBA, SAN PAWL IL-BAHAR SPB 2734

I then went here http://www.go.com.mt/Default.aspx?ID=11, Malta's online phone directory and didn't find anything, I searched the whole island on just "Guzepp Calleja" in the street name and it found 1 business match, which wasn't the right one!

I guess they either don't have a phone or its listed as a residential number!

Sorry!