Qawra Street, St. Paul's Bay, SPB 05, Malta
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Dolmen Resort Hotel

A Lovely Experiance at the Dolmen Resort Hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Josephine_Greenstar

Just a few lines to say that I was very impressed and satisfied by the quality of service and food at the Dolmen Resort Hotel. I was very skeptic after visiting the hotel’s website as it projects itself to be too good a hotel, a ‘cut above the rest’. I know that there are bad hotels out there that have very good marketing managers who market it as a four star where in fact it is a two star hotel. However, what you see in the website and what you pay is what you get, plus more. There are three restaurants, one a la carte, one at the cafe' and the other which is the main restaurant. All three are very cozy and serve good food. I could not complain except that there were a few rude negative clients who kept spoiling my dinner. The waiters and receptionists were always ready to help and even though, I must admit that I am a very difficult customer, were always very professional. They were always positive, patient, smiled and always seemed to have the right approach. The coffee shop is open 24hrs a day and is ideal for anyone wanting a snack or a glass of wine in the odd hours of the morning. The barman, even though evidently tired was always cheerful and would keep you company. The Hotel which covers large garden grounds and has 4 outdoor pools, were always kept clean and tidy. Regarding my room, which was on the seaside was very spacious and comfortable and was always found clean after I came back from breakfast early in the morning. The only draw back was that I would have preferred it if it was on a higher floor. Unfortunately the Hotel was fully booked and the receptionist on duty could not offer an other room. However, did keep me informed when there would have been one available. Unfortunately, by the time there was one available it was on my last night and therefore, stayed where I was. The Spa, where you can spoil and treat yourself for a relaxing massage is a Heaven and you can also use the sauna and Jacuzzi which by the way is free. The entertainment was adequate but I must complain that it was very loud at times. Any case, I shall return and definitely recommend this Hotel to any other lucky customer who may want to visit Malta and look for a Four Star Hotel. The Dolmen Resort Hotel will definitely be my favorite destination when I visit Malta again in the near future.

One of the worst hotels I know

by TripAdvisor Member ZHtraveller

I have stayed for one week in the Dolmen Resort Hotel. It was terrible. I got a very old room with a wonderful view on all the air conditioning systems. When I opened my window I got the smell what was cooked in the kitchen. In my room I did only get twice shampoo - no shower gel at all. So you rather bring your own stuff when you decide to stay in this hotel. One night I woke up having a big fat cockroache in my face - it was horrible.

The room has a minibar, but be careful the fridge does not cool the drinks, so you only get warm water or warm beer. The room has an aircondition but more then noise you cannot expect from.

I rather recommend not having breakfast in the hotel. You cannot drink the coffee it just tastes so bad. All the rest is rather poor.

This hotel is defenitely not a 4 star hotel - avoid it, there are so many good hotels in malta, there is no need to stay in this hotel.

Avoid like the plague

by TripAdvisor Member markrgriffin

Noisy hotel. Doors banging, street noise from buses and boy racers. Bad selection of breakfasts. Reception staff are very unprofessional and do not like requests from thier guests. Hotel leaks like a seive when it rains and rooms flood. No maintenance being carried out in this hotel. Paintwork chipped, plasterwork unpainted, balcony doors falling apart, airconditioning faulty, damp musty smells throughout the hotel.

2 Star hotel - cockroaches, rude staff and dirt all around.

by TripAdvisor Member angryjmalta

This hotel is only 2 Star not the 4 that they have displayed everywhere.
No room service - what hotel does not have room service?
No locks on doors - and the staff think that they are not neccessary on the inside?
Cockroaches in the grounds and some rooms on the 2nd floor
Paying a deposit for a tv remote control - is this prehistoric ?
No mattress covers on the beds and two stained and marked sheets on the bed.
Dead insects on my wall where previous people had mashed them.
Rubber pillows if you are lucky as the feather ones must have been used in a pillow fight.
Poor selection at breakfast - tinned fruit, the only fresh fruit was quartered oranges and grapefruits that you would get at a school hockey match.
The coffee and tea you have to serve yourself.
Noisy lift shafts every 100 metres.
Mould in the shower in my room that was supposedly new
The staff have a very poor attitude - not service oriented at all.
Only 1 towel in the bathroom and no soap or shower gel?
None of the room facilities that should be the norm in a 4 Star hotel.
This is not a 4 star so avoid if you can.

Fantasic

by TripAdvisor Member Heatherdel

I was a little worried when I check Trip Advisor days before going on a trip we'd booked for our anniversary. We had stayed in Qawra before and had admired this hotel, especially when the hotel we were staying at was so disappointing.

We arrived after midnight but check in was a doddle and our bags were taken to our room for us. Luxury! Our room was fantasic. It was big, had a mini-bar, had pleanty of cupboard room and wonderfully comfy beds, and, we discovered in the morning, a lovely view of St Pauls Bay. Our only concern that night was the night club across the road, which finally finished business at about 5 in the morning! However we didn't get any more noise from it throughout our stay.

The morning and breakfast was another pleasant surprise. The food was lovely and you could have as much, or as little as you liked. OK it was a bit of a scrum at times to get to the coffee but there were two coffee 'posts' so it wasn't too bad. When we got back from breakfast our room had been cleaned so it was ours for the rest of the day. One thing though, you need to 'mark' your table at mealtimes. So in the morning get coffee before finding somewhere to sit and in the evening wait until your drinks arrive before going off to get food. We did see a couple of embarassing occasions when people came back from getting some food to find someone else sitting at their table.

Meals at the Dolmen are lovely. The chefs take a real pride in their cooking and want you to enjoy it. We went half board and we hardly needed anything for lunch as breakfast was so good and you didn't want to spoil your appetite for dinner.

All the staff were quietly efficient and polite. This could be mistaken for rudeness but they were friendly enough if you engaged them in conversation. The whole hotel, as much as we saw and we did take the lift to a couple of other floors, was clean and well kept. The spa is a real treat too.

We will be back. We love Malta and now we've found a great hotel which just makes a wonderful place even more so. I admit that the hotel probably suffers somewhat when it's full but out of season its paradise.

Had a great time!

by TripAdvisor Member alfieWorcs

We have just returned from a lovely relaxing break at the dolmen hotel. The holiday was a late availability and on arrival we were informed that we had been placed at the Dolmen hotel. I was a little dubious about what we would find having previously read some poor reviews about this hotel. However, we were very impressed with the hotel and need not have worried.

Our request to be up graded to a sea view room was efficiently dealt with. Consequently, we were offered a suite at a good rate. We ended up in a clean, extremely comfortable room with a fantastic balcony and wonderful views. The room had good facilities, including a reasonably priced mini bar. The rooms were cleaned and tidied daily and the staff dealt with requests swiftly and cheerfully.

The spa facilities on offer in the hotels own spa were excellent. A real treat. I treated myself to a facial and pedicure; both of which were wonderfully relaxing and excellent value. I would recommend that if you stay at the hotel you make use of this facility. The indoor pool was clean and tidy and included sun beds, Jacuzzi and sauna. The atmosphere was calming and relaxing.

As for the food it was excellent! Our compliments to the chef! If you want egg and chips, as some guests seemed to want, then visit the local English style cafes and bars down the road. However, if you want ‘a la carte’ style food from a well stocked buffet then don’t venture from the hotels main restaurant. We stayed half board and were never disappointed with the quality or choice of food. There was an international feel to the food, including (surprisingly) a superb Asian style evening! The local white wine was excellent; I would recommend ordering a carafe. There was a good choice at breakfast; from scrambled eggs and bacon to a wide range of continental meats and cheeses. There was always a good selection of fresh fruit, cereals and breads/pastries. We ate twice at lunchtime in the café overlooking the sea. Both times hoping for a small snack and ending up with a plateful! The diet certainly took a beating!

The staff, throughout the hotel, were always friendly and helpful. All in all, we had a lovely relaxing seven days, enjoying the sunshine, meeting friendly people and visiting a very interesting island. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

As expected Brilliant!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Misty69

I was very glad to be staying back at the Dolman Resort Hotel again I had previously stayed here some years before and on many visits back I had also witnessed the re-vamp of the hotel when an extra floor was added at an amazingly rapid rate.

I have to say I was not disappointed on my return back this January, the check-in was swift and great that some else took the case to the room, they have put in new lifts which are bigger which is very good when you do have to bring your cases down.

The food in the resturant did not disappoint it was still the same high standard it was before, plenty to eat and choose from and not felling like you can only go up once if you wish to sample other foods on offer, breakfast is great a wide range to choose from and feel full till your evening meal. The rooms were great beds were comfy that you did not feel like getting up the next day rooms contained air-con/heating, mini safe, mini bar at normal price rates, hair dryer ( but best to take your own if you don't want to be there all night). Best of all is the Spa, I did have a pedicure with the parafin treatment and for the cost it was fab the appointment was 1 hour but she took 1 1/2hrs!, I also arranged a facial for my mother which she throughly enjoyed.

Not suprisingly i have booked again and going in May and will again make use of the Spa my mother is already planning her treatments and she's not even there yet!

The best thing for this hotel is if it does rain (in Jan or Feb) you don't have to leave the hotel as if you like to gamble is linked to the Oracle Casino by walking through the hotel to the other end, this is great if you want a late night out with not far to go (or fall) when in this hotel.

could be better

by TripAdvisor Member sukieYorkshire

We have just returned from a fortnights holiday on a half board basis at the Dolmen Hotel in Qawra .
Not too impressed with this hotel ,it is large and impersonal,some of the staff tend to be rather offhand ,especially the receptionists .Last Saturday evening the 17th February it was Carnival in Malta ,the queue for the dining room was nearly to the front door ,guests in the hotel were having to stand and wait to eat along with chance diners ,who were coming in off the street
We sat and watched as some guests complained to the reception , and were very disappointed to see that they really could not have cared at all ,and treated it all as a big joke .
Consequently some of the guests did not dine that evening !!!
The bedrooms were clean ,but the chambermaids were very noisy ,shouting to each other ,heaven help anyone who had a DO NOT DISTURB notice
The food was very ordinary and bland ,and a lot of tables in the dining room appeared to be reserved
The dining room staff were on the whole very pleasant,and helpful
We would not stay at the Dolmen Hotel again!!

Please make us feel more welcome.

by TripAdvisor Member O-D-Ham

Stayed there on my own for business trip in November 2006. Standards seem to have fallen a bit. since my stay one year before, and several times previously. My room was at the back with just a glimpse of the sea, and no balcony. My bed was situated under the window, so very draughty. Unpacked on arrival in early hours, so though disappointed with the room (which was a very long walk from the dining room and reception, )could not be bothered to ask to be moved. The lido area had more or less closed down for the winter, despite continued good weather, as had the poolside bar. The Temple bar is now much less comfortable following refurbishment.

Food (breakfast only booked) was OK, but nothing special.

The Maltese attitudes towards tourists are drastically in need of overhaul - no feelgood factors in evidence. Regular and compulsory "Have a nice day" Instruction Classes for hotel and restaurant staff would not go amiss, especially at the Dolmen.

A Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member midnightdav

Me and my husband stayed at the Dolmen for a week from the 20th Feb. We were on a B&B basis but ate in the hotel cafe Delos a few times.
We found the hotel staff very helpful and the staff took our bags up to the room for us. We stayed in a sea view room - it is really worth it! beautiful views!! We were on the 5 th floor which was great however i wouldnt want to get a room on the 2nd floor as they look out onto the roof of the Cafe Delos and consquently you can see the air con units and extractor.

The room was very clean with really good beds and bedding and the bathroom was lovely! nice clean towels daily - a good service.

Breakfast included the usual english breakfast items plus croissents and the maltese Pastizzi. Continental breads and cheeses and hams were also available as were cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juice, coffee and tea. it was really good food and everything was topped up frequently - my husband loved the fact that hot milk was provided for tea/coffee too!

The hotels location was brill - so close to the square but far enough away from the hustle and bustle! I cant fault the hotel really if i had to pick something maybe it would be that one lift was out of order for 3 hours one day - but there are other s in the hotel!! so not really a problem!!

Anyway hopefully everybody who goes there will have a good time as we did.

Temple at the New Dolmen Hotel MaltaTemple at the New Dolmen Hotel Malta