Triq il-Maskli, St. Paul's Bay, 05, Malta

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Santana

Hotel Santana, Qawra

by steventilly about Hotel Santana, Qawra

A 4* plus accommodation in the centre of Qawra, very close to the bus station, the seafront and Bugibba centre (about 10 minutes walk).
It's in a quite quiet street but is not far from 5 or 6 nice little pubs that also do meals. The hotel itself has a pizza place, a-la-carte restaurant and (24 hour) coffee shop that also serves as the internet cafe. The hotel is just "nice". Rooms are clean and comfortable, everything works, staff are friendly and efficient, breakfast is nice... You can pay a bit extra for a "superior room". I'd certainly do that - the room was almost twice the size of the standard room, having both a sitting and dining area, as well as a small kitchenette and space for a childs bed.
Views are not superb - ours faced the car park, some just face across the street and some face a small courtyard containing the generator :-S
The hotel deals mainly in package tours, but rooms are available direct from the hotel too.

by ROCKARIA

Hotel Santana is a good 4 star Hotel in Bugibba.I do not see any problems re strollers in buses and if the wheelchair can be folded and not too bulky the bus will accept it.
Pavements are generally in good shape but in villages can filled with potholes etc.
May is a good time and the nice weather starts about this time.September can be rather hot..enjoy

Not a 3 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lottog

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at the Hotel Santana. The lobby is quite nice, and the front terrace was enjoyable. The staff was friendly, but the room was really not up to the standards of a 3 star hotel.
We had no water pressure. I mean no pressure. You had to hold the shower head on your head to get a trickle out. The staff did fix it though.
We had the breakfast only option which was nice. The hotel room was clean, but shabby. I had heard that the hotel was not that old. The room had two twin beds, a small tv and a balcony.

Good, but could be better

by TripAdvisor Member jayelkay123

My other half and I have just returned from a last-minute break to the Santana Hotel in Malta. We booked with Malta Bargains - a new company to us but very helpful when we made the booking.

We flew with British Jet - I'd not heard of them before but they were fine for such a short flight. There was very little room but as it is such a short flight it is just about acceptable. Having said that, my partner is well over 6 feet tall and he struggled with the space. We were fed the same meal both ways - so not a lot of inspiration there - it was chicken curry, a roll and a chocolate muffin. No other options.

The hotel looked nice when we arrived but our room was MUCH smaller than the standard room photographed in their brochure. We did not even have the smallest room - I believe there were others even smaller. Our room was at the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor - overlooking waste land but we could see a hint of the sea if you looked between buildings. Yippee!

The room was quite dark because they say they have changed the bulbs for low energy ones as they are trying to be eco-friendly, so we can't moan about that. We had twin beds pushed together. There was not enough room to separate them if you were not a couple. They were very small and dreadfully squeaky; when you turned over you woke yourself or your partner up with the noise. They also moved very easily as they are on casters, so the beds were often in a different position in the morning from when you went to bed at night! One young couple, who booked in at the same time as us, returned to reception to say that they had asked for a double bed. The reception staff just arranged for their twin beds to be made up like a double. I can't imagine how they coped - they would surely have fallen through the middle!

I was peeved to have to pay to use the safe (about £6 for the week) and for the in-room mini-bar on which the TV stood (another £6 for the week). No drinks were supplied, we just had to pay to have the mini-bar there! We needed it to store our insulin so we had no option. Our lock broke after two or three days and was not repaired, despite promises. For a 4-star hotel, I expect the safe and the mini-bar to be included in the cost.

I know others have said it but be careful with the TV remote - there is a green button which I am sure would be very easy to press accidentally - this switches on the pay-TV channels. There is a warning that even if it is pressed accidentally for a couple of seconds, the computer will recognise this and you must pay for a full 24 hours' use.

The furniture, decor, fixtures and fittings in the room and corridors are all in need of an upgrade. As others have mentioned, the bathrooms are very tired and need updating but the towels were clean and plentiful.

The reception, restaurant and 24 hour bar/snack bar are lovely - they have obviously had their refurbishment. The restaurant food was quite good (we have been spoiled by the Caribbean hotels with all the varieties of fruit and salads etc, I think). The roasts in the evening were always good. We enjoyed a drink most evenings on the terrace at the 24 hour bar watching the world go by [very pleasant] or upstairs on the roof [drinking from cheap plastic glasses] during the three nights when entertainment was provided.

The staff were mostly friendly and helpful - nothing outstanding either way – apart from a lovely waitress in the restaurant. She was delightful, informative and always smiled and made conversation.

The pool was lovely on the roof of the hotel but the loungers were in dire need of replacement. I complained to one of the staff that at least 50% of them were broken and she said to put the broken ones in the middle of the terrace but that did not work as others came and had to use them. There is definitely a shortage of covered/shaded areas so there was occasionally a bit of a confrontation when people reserved beds under the shaded area and then sunbathed in the middle of the terrace.

I think the hotel acquired its 4 star status because it has a spa area with indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym. Although we did not use it, it looked very pleasant.

Despite all the above, if we ever decide to return to Malta we would probably go to the Santana again as it was in such a good position. If you want further information, don't hesitate to get in touch.

4* - I think not!

by TripAdvisor Member Comp

I think Malta has a problem. The hotel trade there seem to think a building with a bed equals 4* hotel! Wrong!!! I would classify the Santana as a UK 2* and a not very good one at that. Okay It's clean and presentable although threadbear, but poor plumbing and atrocious service and food selection in the restaurant (more like a 1970's throw back roadside cafe) meant the one day we stayed there couldn't be over soon enough.
It could have something to do with it's location, Qawra like a lot of Malta seems to be a half built, tacky, dirty and cheap resort plagued with time share touts.
The Times of Malta had recently reported on the decline of tourist numbers this year and if this is what they expect people to stay in they better learn (and quickly) from the other Med countries, or else our Pounds and Euros will not be coming back.

it is the 1 of the hotels in malta that they are good

by TripAdvisor Member paulpulis

i stay in the santana 5 days and it was a very nice experience . who is going there do not trust people who say that the hotel is bad it is value for money and it is good .the area is good for pubs and value shops
lifts are ok .
the hotet was full up not in the peak time .
the food was good the rooms are clean and equipped with many appliances.
toilets are clean ands the bath was very big
trust me .....
help full reception

enjoyable stay but not 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member steveofDensole

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Santana. The hotel is showing signs of becoming dated & could benefit from a good refurbishment. We upgaraded to one of the Superior rooms which by all accounts are more spacious. Cooking, water & fridge are hidden in a cupboard, but are a useful addition as no tea-making facilities are provided unless you pay extra.
The main restaurant was undergoing refurbishment & therefore all meals had to be undertaken in the smaller Trattoria restaurant which at times was over crowded & noisy. It would have been nice if we had been advised of this when booking.
The rooms are nice & clean & the level of service from the staff was very good. Meals average,
Location is very good especially for the excellant island bus srvice.
Hotel is defineately not a 4 star hotel

Santana experience

by TripAdvisor Member fluzyflapper

Having stayed at many different hotels in this general area - good and bad, we would definately recommend this one.Although we mostly only sleep and eat at our hotel ,and then travel about in Malta, this hotel had the most excellent facilities which we didn't actually take any advantage of.It was great on a late flight in to find there was a 24hr cafe/bar and we could buy water and drinks and have a quick relax before retiring to our room.The superior room was excellent -roomy with safe/tv/radio /hairdryer /fridge/aircon and fan.The tv remote was given with the key ,and safe charges were fairer than many.Although it was only an overbath shower there was always oudles of hot water and no 'searching' for it.The dining facility was excellent( the layout gave it a nice cosy feel) ,and no matter what your nationality you were absolutely spoilt by the vast multitude of choices at breakfast - and REAL BACON ALWAYS !No complaints on the food front.Evening meal choices and variety were fine too.All the hotel staff were top rate at their jobs without exception ,but if you don't rise before 8am I would recommend a do not disturb tag on the door.Finally I would just comment that the Maltese hotel star system doesn't quite equate to the UK one.This hotel in our opinion is very much a 'SUPERIOR' one in this area ,and we will definately be returning on a regular basis.One last plus, if you like to travel the island ,it helps to start from the terminal if you can.Here you were only minutes away and so could travel out seated,and return quickly to the hotel at the end of the day.

Superior Room, Hotel SantanaSuperior Room, Hotel Santana

Norway is calling

by Marcel73

Hello people from hole world!!!I am going to go to Malta in july 2009 and i want to know about accomodation there.can you recomanded me a nice hotel.

thanks
marcel from Oslo

by leics

If you are looking for clean, friendly and excellent-value budget accommodation (guest house rather than hotel)then I can personally recommend Duncan's in Marsaxlokk:

Marsaxlokk is well away from all the partying clubs/bars etc, so if that is what you want then best to look along the north coast of the island: Sliema, Bugibba, St Julians etc.

by Dick33

I have just stayed in the Corinthia palace in Attard and it was fantastic there is not much nightlife in Attard but it is easy to go into Valletta. If you want a lively nightlife you will want to be near St Juliens.
I hope this is a little help if you want to ask any thing please feel free.
Ian

by Gili_S

Take the Hilton, great hotel in perfect location.

by tango_jd

We stayed in the Hotel Santana, Qawra/Buggiba.
Close to the bus station for trips to Valleta and beyond - or direct to many places.
It has night-life nearby without you being on top of it and the food was very good.
Oh yes - The pool is on the roof - in case that matters to you.
Plenty of bars and restaurants just outside the front door but it was not a noisy hotel.
See my Malta page plus here....http://www.maltahotel.net/hotel/santana-hotel-qawra/index.html

by Marcel73

Hello Ian!thanks a lot for your information.I will see at the hotel you recommended.tell me what you like best in malta?it will be my first time there.if you can recommended a good restaurant and some interesting places there.
greetings from cold Oslo
Marcel

thanks a lot!!!!!

hello from oslo
Thanks a lot!!!

thanks a lot!!!!

by leics

Malta is absolutely full of history, with some of the most magnifient prehistoric temples in Europe (older than Stonhenge).

Have a look at the VT Malta pages for info/photos/tips on what to see and do.

Mine are here: