Paradise Bay

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Paradise Bay

Paradise is not at the Paradise Bay Hotel Malta

by TripAdvisor Member Doug 135

My wife and I visited the Paradise Bay Hotel for two weeks, last week in September beginning of October 2005. Our findings were as follows:-

1. We selected what they term as a Superior Sea View room, thinking that this was the best. How wrong we were. When we arrived in our room we walked onto our balcony to find... yes a sea view, but overlooking the Gozo Ferry Port, a main road with oil Tankers coming and going, the noise from the road was such that after the first night of little sleep we asked to be moved.

It was then explained that we could move to what they call a Superior Sea View - Bay View Room (not looking at the Gozo Ferry: no road, no concrete, no vehicles) - cost to move over £100 ? What a con? Obviously because we were there for two weeks we paid the money.

2. This Hotel was the furthest Northern point of the island, has no local shops etc. Unless you have a car or use their busses at night you are stranded. The entertainment is of a poor standard, they do not cater for the younger generation at all and what they do provide is of a very poor quality which generally results in very few people attending.

3. There is no way that this is a four star Hotel. The food is poor, and the waiters lack training - they do not know how to wait on tables. Shortages of food, poor food (fresh fruit only available for an extra charge) and table settings happens all to often.

4. The Buses are cheap, but are old and uncomfortable to ride on. Most of their drivers have little respect for the tourist and will short change you at any opportunity.

5. The outdoor swimming pools are of a reasonable standard but the indoor pool, if that is what you would call it. constantly leaks rain through the roof - thus you have great difficulty in finding anywhere to leave your towel to keep it dry.

6. When we spoke to our Rep at the end of the holiday she explained that 95% of people were happy with this hotel and returned several times. What a joke - all of the people who waited to see her had complaintes of a simulare nature to ours.

Two of the BEST hotles on the...

by mag-gie

Two of the BEST hotles on the island are
1) The Corinthia Palace at St Anton and
2) The Paradise Bay hotel
The first has excellent food and luxurious rooms. The second is great for family hotels.The staff and management love your kids!!!

The LoveSexy Free Beach Festival

by andy2003 about Paradise Bay, Malta.

The LoveSexy Free Beach Festival -Paradise Bay, Malta.
Local live acts, dj’s and outstanding nights with a vast variety of music ranging from commercial, house, tribal, progressive and trance.
Last event Saturday 6th July 2002.

Indiscriminate Building

by steventilly

I have to make a comment about building in Malta. Planning regulations seem to be quite lax (I may be wrong, I'm not the expert just a casual observer). But in many places you can find the most monstrous of buildings spoiling an otherwise picturesque location.
Take for instance Marsaxlokk (see my tip). It's an absolutely fabulous, picturesque spot, and quite a magnet for tourists. It sits in a bay, and to the left of the bay is a huge power station, with vast oil storage tanks and a dock for an oil tanker ship for refuelling it. At the right of the bay is a huge container port, its cranes really ruining the view there.
Near Paradise bay (a really lovely, secluded bathing beach) there is now The Paradise Bay Hotel - a quite monstrous building that does nothing to blend in with or complement its surroundings.
In most towns there are uncleared plots of demolished buildings and the uncomplete shells of new ones. It seems that speculative building is rife - build now and hope some one wants it later - except that the bulders don't have the money to complete the job until a buyer is found. It makes for some bizarre sights.
My mother told me of her visit to Malta that "If it's not falling down they are pulling it down" and that certainly can appear so.

Disapointing hotel

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from 27th September to 4th October.
At first impression it seemed a nice hotel, nice reception area, nice pools friendly staff.
The rooms however were dirty with smelling mouldy carpets.
The smell being so bad in the first room we were allocated (room 112) that we asked to be moved and were put in room 126. This room didn't smell so bad but still wasn't very clean. The problem seems to be with water leaking from the room fridges causing the already dirty carpets to go mouldy. The balcony furniture was filthy and a dead cockroach remained on the balcony for the length of our stay.
Access to the rooms is via a gloomy dimly lit corridor lined with cigarette bins and often smelling of cigarette smoke.
The main road for the ferry to Gozo runs right outside the hotel where the above rooms are, making them noisy from traffic (the ferry runs very late at night and starts very early in the morning).
The food at the hotel left a lot to be desired for our tastes too. The breakfasts were ok but the evening meals were poor choice and often cold (Buffet style meals), so much so that we stopped eating in the dining room and used the excellent bistro that is attached to the hotel. The bistro has a good selection of plain food served hot cooked when ordered and pleasant friendly staff. (Thank goodness that bistro was there, we were seriously considering going to another hotel).
We made use of the Paradise Bay diving centre while we were there and found them to be excellent. Competent friendly instructors made the experience of a first dive very successfull we can highly recomend them.
In conclusion the Paradise Bay hotel is certainly not a 4 star hotel I would only give it 2 and we wouldnt stay there again.

relaxing and quiet

by TripAdvisor Member micky-p

11th to 18th oct 2005 we heard of bad reports of this hotel dirty smelly and overcrowded by locals but when we arrived it was just the opposite we had a lovely room overlooking the swimming pools and bay. The decoration was not 4 star but it was clean and tidy and cleaned every day. the three pools were very clean and not overcrowded you could swim at anytime without any bother. The food was good the service excellent the dining room was very clean and tidy The entertainment in the hotel does need to looked at but there is something on every night. If you want a nice quiet relaxing holiday I recommend it. The hotel is being refurbished but it takes time. you can go anywhere on malta for 50cents on the buses it an experience not to be missed also the ferry to gozo is cose by . Yes I would go back to the paradise hotel and see the rest of malta you cannot see everything in a week

Not 4* would'nt go again

We went for a romantic weekend & it did say quiet on the Lastminute site we booked with. Our 1st problem was getting a taxi as the taxi drives said it was too far away in the end we shared with a couple going to St. Pauls Bay. Our room was very dated & tired. It had 4 narrow single beds & a dingy grey carpet. We arrived late eveving & decided to have a drink & go to bed - but the mini bar was empty (you must have to order it in - that would explain the padlock on it - not 4*). The bathroom was very dated in decor & when the loo was flushed took ages to loudly fill up & the fridge - strangely on , though it was empty & it buzzed all night. I guess they are aware of how tatty & dated parts of the hotel is & refurbishing as we were awakened at 7.50 by loud drilling. We opened the curtains for a view of the road & ferry port not the prettiest of views. Plus points though to be fair the pool was nice & very clean. As was the sea & great location if you like diving. Good views from the rooms overlooking the pool & sea. Also handy if you want to go to Gozo as the ferry is on your doorstep. I rate it as no way a 4 star hotel 2 probably maybe 3 for the clear sea & rugged rocky front on to the sea - quite pretty. I would say you would need a car to get around. Also not much around if you like to go out in the evening no bars or restaurants. Good for family's - family sized rooms, good for relaxing away from things or tourist areas if you don't like touristy places or if you like diving or swimming. Not good for a romantic weekend, people who like to be in lively places or like to be in easy reach of bars, restaurants, nightlife etc. No good for a romantic break (well not in the room we got i felt like i was in a dormitory & the decor was late 70's style & bleak, or single groups as a very quiet location. Its a shame as it could be very pretty - but not if you get a room over the road. Check you get a refurbished room & if they are still doing work. Needless to say we did'nt stay & moved to a hotel in St Julians after checking it out 1st having only stayed 1 night at the Paradise Bay - a totally different experience that made us think we might go back to Malta again where as if we had just seen the Paradise Bay i would'nt have there are much nicer hotels on the island. No 4* feel i'm afraid i did feel a bit cheated by the rating.

Great location, terrible staff

Standing far from all the noisy spots, and extremely close to the Gozo ferry, this hotel could be a perfect choice for a Malta holiday, if only the management be half-competent.
Unfortunately, the place has a sort of half-finished atmosphere, with works seemingly forever-in-progress. To avoid severe depression, you are advised to ask for a superior room. That is, if you really decide to spend your money in a hotel where a barman hands you a glass dipping his fingers well inside it, and a chambermaid leaves a pair of your shoes, soles down, on your armchair.

SO GOOD I AM GOING BACK!!

I just stumbled on this site and feel I must write a review.
I travelled with Chevron in September 2003 with my teenage daughter for a break from work. My husband book this hotel as I wanted somewhere quiet and not in the town. Paradise Bay was perfect. We arrived late into the night after a long coach drive from the airport but I did not mind at all as I enjoy the ride around other towns. On arrival at the hotel, staff could not have been more kind, helpful and pleasant. The room faced the ferry termninal which I for one did not mind at all. I really enjoyed watching the sea, people at the bus stop, cars, ferry etc, all part of the holiday in a new country. The room was very large for the two of us, yes it was in need of updating especially the bathroom but it was quite adequate for our needs. You are hardly ever in the room. Had tea/coffee making facilities, fridge and tv. The corridors were lovely hugh old fashioned affairs which were great and were always light and well lit but we were back in our room before midnight. The food was excellent as far as we were concerned. Buffet style is best as you can choose just what you like and how much you like. Great choice of dinner (we were on half board). Staff were lovely and chefs were super. It is what you make of it, get to know people, smile at them and they will smile at you. We made friends with other families and their children. The shop was expensive but that is to be expected. The bistro and bars were great. The pools were clean and we always got a sunbed no problem as there were so many. We never went in the indoor pool as it was so warm outside and you could go down the steps and swim in the sea from the back of the hotel or at the front there was a private beach where you could have diving lessons together with a bar where you could order pizza, etc brought to your sunbed. Perfect. I loved the fact we were the last hotel on the island exactly for the peace and quiet and also took the ferry over to Gozo. I was so impressed that I longed to return and my husband has just booked us a week and we leave in 10 days! I am so looking forward to it. We will not hire a car as the bus stops right outside and we intend to make full use of it. I loved visiting the set of where Popeye was filmed and all the staff there on that day were so friendly. I will write another review when we return.

How good?Have you got a week?

Myself and my Auntie, who is VERY critical of hotels, cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. In fact I am on the web now looking to book AGAIN. Fantastic!! I must mention THE POOLS!! Out of this world! Kate Andrew and Gill Winstanley

Paradise Bay HotelParadise Bay Hotel

Hotel near airport

Hi everyone

Arriving at 9pm 20th may and staying in Gozo. See that latest Ferry over is 10.30 and doubt very much can get from airport in time.

Anyone recommend a very cheap hotel close to airport or somewhere in Valetta? How much should a taxi fare be from airport to Valetta

any help appreciated

thanks
Jon

by alisonel

Try travelrepublic.co.uk for cheap hotel prices anywhere - we were getting some good deals for Malta last year

by Azzel

Hi Jon,

Closest hotel is Paradise Bay Hotel Resort in Cirkewwa.

You can walk it to the ferry - its only 2 minutes away on foot!

Cheers

by blackie4242

Thanks for reply - may have misled a little

Was planning to pick car up at around 9.30 (if flight was on time)and drive to ferry thinking the last one was 23.30 - now realise its winter timetable and last ferry is 22.30 - just wouldn't be enough time to reach the ferry. So anywhere closish to airport would do - would then pick car up following day and travel on.
Just wanted a fairly cheap bed for the night - any recommendations closer to airport

thanks again

Sorry - flight arrives at 21.00 Malta time

thanks

by Azzel

oh sry, i misread your request - thought u needed a hotel closest to the ferry.

Im afraid that there aren't much cheap hotels around the airport area .. the closest I can think of is in Valletta - it is about 15 to 20 minutes drive away from the airport. It is very central since it is the capital city and you can easily catch a bus to the airport from there.

Check these links for accomodation in Valletta:

Cheers
Ela

Hi Ella,

Thanks for your reply. I've had another look at the ferry timetable and think
I made a mistake in thinking the last crossing from Malta to Gozo was 10.30pm. We are coming on 20th May and I now think the last crossing is midnight which would give us plenty of time to reach the ferry even if the flight was delayed a little.
I have sent an email to ask for confirmation but it was undeliverable. Any way you can find out the timings for 20th May?

many thanks for your help
Jon

Traveling Solo to Malta

by miclev21

Thinking of traveling solo to Malta. Safe, possible, would it be fun????? Please give me any advice...Thanks!

by WinnieWong

I was brought up in Malta and I feel that it is one of the safest places in Europe to travel to. Maltese are friendly and are always willing to help in any circumstance.
If you still intend on going I'm sure you'll have loads of fun. Just one suggestion...rent a car. Public transport sux
Wendy

Re: Re: Traveling Solo to Malta

by pieter_jan_v

You will be OK travelling on your own. I think the Maltese people are the friendlyiest I ever met. The only guys bothering me were the "Time Sharing Selling Sharks".

I loved the public transport (see my tips and T-logues on Malta & Valletta).

PJ

by Xemx

Winniewong is right - Malta is one of the safest places in the world. As to fun...YES! Check out areas like Paceville and St Julians while you are here. The bus transport system is ok and you can catch a bus from Valletta to most parts of the island. On the other hand, I would definitely suggest a rented car in Gozo. Anne

by ray_d

Propose pospone till Summer.
Fun may be in the eyes of the beholder but much more to behold between May and August.
Safe is also relative but none much safer than this place. One needs to really try hard to get into trouble.
Solo is little problem. English is spoken everywhere and distances are most compact.

by SWFC_Fan

I spent a week in Malta on my own about this time last year. I stayed in St Julian's and had a great time.

As the above posters have said, the island is very safe and you'll find plenty to keep you occupied.

As well as seeing quite a lot of Malta, I also did daytrips to Gozo and Sicily and I would recommend both of those.

by butch068

Hi,

There's loads to see in Malta, so you won't be able to see it all in just one week, you would need at least 3 weeks.
Regarding where to stay, its up to you and what you looking for!
There are many hotels around the Island, I work at one which is "The Paradise Bay Resort Hotel", which is in the North of the Island.
Maybe if you interested, you could tell me when you coming, so I could check if there will be a room available plus the rates.
Anyway as I said there's lots to see and do while in Malta.
Do hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,