Marfa, MLH 02, Malta

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• MartinK35's Profile Photo

Great stay.

Looking for somewhere to escape the British weather in February I decided on the Ramla Bay Resort in Malta as it looked like a great deal on all the major hotel booking websites. I actually got an even better deal through the resort's own website. It was February,out of season and they were very clear that some of the facilities like the outdoor pools would be closed at that time of year so I was expecting that. What i wasn't expecting was the fantastic service, amazing staff and all round great stay for such a bargain price. I definitely plan to return in the peak season when everything is open.

My only criticism, it's not really a criticism but it's partially isolated location on the north coast can be a bit inconvenient if you plan to explore other parts of this fascinating island but on the other hand it's location away from the hustle and bustle of Valletta and Sliema is also part of it's charm.

More about Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort

by Speedbeater about Beach Club (Timeshare)

Nice apartment. Friendly staff. A bit far out but everything is so close on Malta, not really a problem. Beachside location, cool view.

sandy beaches

by ROCKARIA

As you have found out the other post have it all wrong...maybe for the benefit of the doubt he meant rocky beaches!
A Forum Post like these is meant to provide info on exact info not guess work!!
Sandy beaches in Malta : Golden Bay, Apple's eye Bay(martinique bay ),Paradise Bay, Mellieha Bay,Armier Bay,Pretty Bay,St George's bay,Buggibba sandy beach,Gnejna Bay,Mistra Bay,Ramla Bay,...should you request any more help,info or support while in Malta just email me...enjoy :)

You really must try to find...

by patr1ck

You really must try to find time to take the ferry to Gozo, the island to the north of the main island of Malta.
Gozo is much more sparsely populated and there are many lovely 'unknown' places to visit.
One of these is Ramla Bay, which is found to the north of Gozo. This is a beautiful beach which, even when relatively busy, allows you your own space.
The waves can be really good around here, as well.

Sandy beaches in Malta

by oRi_5

For sandy beaches, the biggest sandy beach in Malta is Mellieha bay. Other options are the 3 sandy beaches which are found near each other called Golden Bay, Ghajn Tuffieha and Gnejna bay. Other than this there is just one other sandy beach in Malta which is found in the south called Pretty Bay in Birzebbugia.

All of these beaches (not sure about Pretty bay) offer the option to hire umbrellas and sunbeds or do some watersports such as jetski, paddle boat, canoe, banana rides, etc. They also have kiosks where you can buy food, drinks or some water games.

Please note that in summer all these beaches will be very packed with both locals and foreigners. Also, avoid taking any expensive items in your beach bags as unfortunately they might get stolen when left alone on the beach - most of the time by other tourists, usually students!.

Should you wish to go to a sandy beach in gozo, then there is the lovely beach called Ramla Bay. There are another 1 or 2 sandy beaches although these are just tiny strips of sand (ex. Xlendi Bay) and i don't really consider them beaches.

When going to the beach ....PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAKE SUN BLOCK WITH YOU!!
The sun in Malta is extremely strong and trust me, you don't want to start off your holiday with a massive red sunburn! Oh and remember to put cream on your feet and ears too...you'd be surprised at where you can get sunburnt!! ;)

With 30m (98ft) of visibility,...

by yeah_baby

With 30m (98ft) of visibility, warm water and dramatic undersea vistas, Malta has great diving. Gozo has the best spots, including the waters off the northeast coast near Marsalforn. St George's Bay, on the southeast coast, is another good place for a plunge. Comino also has good dive spots, including a 40m (120ft) drop-off at Ras I-Irieqa on the southwest tip of the island.
Despite its rocky coastline, Malta has some good beaches. Gnejna and Golden Bays, on the northwest coast, and St George's Bay have warm, calm waters and good sandy strands. Ramla Bay has Gozo's best beach.

great view - great pool - food okay

by TripAdvisor Member matlock05

Just come back from one week in the Ramla Bay Resort as an all inclusive stay.

We had a few problems to start of with , such as hairdryer in room not connected and only one room key / proof of all inclusive given. Both of these were quickly sorted by reception.

We have only stayed at exclusively all inclusive resorts before and as other people have mentioned we found there to be two levels of food and service (all inclusive being lower level). The pool bar/snack bar was very limited on what was all inclusive. Out of the 30 or so snacks on the menu only 8 were available as all inclusive. (what was available was nice) . There were times we could not get snacks at all. There are no burgers or childrens style snacks. There were prepacked sandwiches.

The water sports center was great , we hired a speed boat and jet skis.

The situation of the hotel is fantastic. We payed extra for the sea view and it was well worth it. You can see Gozo in the distance and there were fireworks every night as it was there festival time. Great sunsets. Only down side is the hotel on the other side of the small bay, plays very loud music . You cant hear it when you shut your patio door but you cant have a quite drink on your balcony after dinner.

The air conditioning was not working properly when we were there. We could only have it working on minimum. (There was a mini heat way and the tempertaure went up to 42! Great!)
We found that we could keep the room cool but not chilled if we kep the air con on 24 hours a day (Loud but at least cool).

We would go again , now we know what to expect.

Quiet and peaceful place

by TripAdvisor Member Pocono

We stayed at the Ramla Bay Resort in the end of June for 5 days. It is located north west of the island and it is a remote area. There are no souvenir shops and grocery stores and only a few restaurants near by. You are isolated from all the tourists’ activities. While we were staying there, there were no loud crows so that we were able to enjoy peaceful time at the sea.

There is a mini market in the hotel but it closes often and we were able to buy some water only once. You need to make a note of their store hours. If you don’t find it out , you are never able to buy anything there. We bought water and some snacks and brought them back to the hotel when we visited other towns.

The pool closed at 6pm and there were not much night activities. Each night some live music was provided but it was nothing like rock or disco type music. You can sit in the bar area and enjoy chatting with your friends and families while listening to the music. If you like a lively night and dance for example, this hotel is not for you. If you like a relax and tranquil vacation it is perfect for you. We enjoyed the hotel atmosphere first but after spending there a few days we became a bit bored at night since we had nothing to do. As a last resort of entertainment we turned on TV but they didn’t have any English channel other than BBC so our children got really bored.

There was a musical show one night but it was a very low quality and it was almost painful to see. It seems that they recruited waiters and waitress and taught them quickly dance steps. It was much worse than some local middle school plays. Since it is an all inclusive resort hotel I expected a much higher quality of a show.

We requested one hotel room since my husband and I were with our two teenagers. What we didn’t know was that they put us in the apartment that is originally for time share. It has a bedroom with kitchen and two baths. We received a maid service everyday but they didn’t provide any hotel shampoo or conditioner. We didn’t take enough shampoo because of airplane regulation and we had to beg at the front desk to give us some. First they were not happy about that but eventually they gave us some. It seemed that they treat guests who stay at the hotel and guests who stay at the apartment differently. I strongly recommend you to check your room arrangement before you go.

The apartment was clean, spacious and comfortable. There is a king size bed in the bedroom and there are 4 narrow couch beds in the kitchen area in our apartment. They gave us only one key and it was very inconvenient.

The sea was beautiful and it was fun to swim. Unfortunately there were a lot of jellyfish when we were there and our children were stung by them a several times. Of course it is not hotel’s fault but I just want to warn you.

We liked to stay at this hotel since it was peaceful and we didn’t need to worry about the safety of our children. Basically only guests of the hotel were there and outsiders weren’t in and out. Do we want to stay this hotel again? Probably yes, but not for 5 days.

Peaceful and Restful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Jonboy1

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in August. The hotel has an excellent Spa, my wife and I enjoyed trying many of the treatments. I can fully recommend the full body message. Dining in the outdoor restaurant offered a peaceful setting, the staff there were very friendly and helpful. The manager of the restaurant was very knowledgeable on his wines and of course the food. Overall I had very relaxing stay and can fully recommend staying at Ramla Bay.

JY

Exceptional hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Veronica_Barlow

Highly recommended! The rooms are clean and modern, most of which have excellent balconies. The staff are young, breezy, polite and know their responsibilities.
The breakfast was delicious, the catering manager, Brian O’Connor was very welcoming and was an excellent host at the evening meal. There were numerous activities to keep the children occupied such as a wide range of water sports while my husband and I enjoyed relaxing in the spa. I can truly recommend this destination for a first-rate family holiday.

relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member englandred

the hotel is very smart since it has been done up,
the food was superb and the staff were very helpful and nice nothing seemed to be to much trouble.
have been to the hotel before and was remembered by some of the staff .

Ramla BayRamla Bay

Ramla bay GozoRamla bay Gozo

St Julians BaySt Julians Bay

View from the roomView from the room

OCEAN CLUB at RAMLA BAY

by pdkcb

Have never been to Malta but have a chance to stay at the OCEAN CLUB at RAMLA BAY. Does anyone know of this place? Also, I would like to know if the beaches in Malta are sandy and safe. Thanks

by johnmperry

There are very few beaches on Gozo, although Ramla Bay has one of the few. I never actually got there though, because the bus service was so terrible.

There seem to be more resort type locations on Malta island itself.

by leics

There are very few sandy beaches on either island.

by leics

Malta buses are wonderful, but it would be far better to hire a car if you are based on Gozo and want to explore either or both islands (there is a regular ferry service).

by johnmperry

Depends on your definition of wonderful I suppose. To my thinking they were overpriced old boneshakers, and the frequency of service was abysmal. And the drivers frequently were "unable" to give change.

by oRi_5

The Ramla bay resort you are speaking of is located in Marfa in the north of Malta. The actual beach called Ramla Bay is found in Gozo.

If you are looking for sandy beaches, the one in the resort itself will be very tiny probably compared to what you see abroad - stretching just a couple of metres.

The hotel itself is very cut off, so if you would like to venture out of the resort, especially in the evening, I would suggest you rent a car as buses would stop passing in the evening.

For sandy beaches, the biggest sandy beach in Malta is Mellieha bay, which would be a 5 minute car/bus ride from the Ramla bay resort. Other options which are about 10-15mins drive from Marfa are the 3 sandy beaches which are found near each other called Golden Bay, Ghajn Tuffieha and Gnejna bay. Other than this there is just one other sandy beach in Malta which is found in the south called Pretty Bay in Birzebbugia. This would be about 30-45 mins drive. Please note that in summer all these beaches will be very packed with both locals and foreigners. Also, avoid taking any expensive items in your beach bags as unfortunately they might get stolen when left alone on the beach.

With regards to the hotel I've never been there or heard any particular comments about so can't really help you I'm afraid. Although i don't think it's really one of the 'high end' type of hotels in Malta.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

beach prices

by mkvalya

could you tell me, approximately, how much is renting a sunbed on a beach in malta?
and how much is a beach umbrella?

usually buying refreshments or food in the bars on the beaches is very expensive?

thanks!

by ROCKARIA

Hi... for a sunbed & umbrella it will cost you approx €5.50 per day. Drinks & food at the beach do cost more than normal places but nothing really exorbent.
Email me if you need more Malta info!

by qaminari

As far as I know there is only one beach in Malta (Golden Sands), elsewhere it is all concrete "lidos". Where will you be?

by mkvalya

i've found on the web that there are many sandy beaches , not only golden bay ;-)

thanks for the info

by ROCKARIA

A Forum Post like these is meant to provide info on exact info not guess work!!

by mkvalya

grazzi :-) you are very kind!
any good reccomandations for car hire in sliema? ;-)

Comments