5 Dragonara Rd, Saint Julian's, Island of Malta, STJ 02, Malta

Westin.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• oritperi's Profile Photo

The best accommodation in Malta

Great experience .Huge room- executive floor +view to the pool and casino .nice terrace Breakfast is amazing . service is great

• ElinGlen's Profile Photo

Elegant, Peaceful Luxury

These are just a few of the words I have used about this great hotel. I was lucky enough to go there for a one week conference and stayed on for a long weekend on my own afterwards. The help we got in organizing the conference was above par; they bent themselves backwards to help us and also came up with suggestions to things we had not thought about ourselves. They were there for us 24/7 and always with a smile and a helpful attitude. I want to specially single out the two Karen’s and Pierre as exceptionally helpful people; they felt like part of our group in the end. The reception and concierge staff were also always smiling and even when there were busloads of participants arriving at the same time – everything was done swiftly as they were well prepared. The elegant setting of the lobby with the little bar with plenty of seating groups was very nice after hours on the flight and in transit. You felt you could really relax there. The rooms were bright and wonderful and with either one huge or two big wonderful beds. I slept like a baby every night to the sound of the waves from the open balcony door. I was lucky and had a room at the end of the towers so I had a very big balcony with a sofa, two sunbeds, two chairs and a small table. It was so nice to go out there in the morning to stretch and start the day with the beautiful vista of the ocean.
    The breakfasts are phenomenal at this hotel. I could have eaten breakfast 3 times a day – but for the beautiful lunch buffets they also prepared for us. The staff at the restaurant and the lobby bar are also so friendly and always helpful with advice for the tourists. Everything was high quality and freshly made – I cannot fault the food drinks or service in any way at all – just splendid.
    I spent some time in the spa when I was there on my own and loved the swimming pool and little Jacuzzi a lot, there is steam bath and sauna in the respective changing rooms as well. I tended to go just after lunch time as there were less people down there at that time. The gym is well equipped and the treadmills have great view over the ocean. I did not have time to check out the spa unfortunately – but I heard that their massages are to die for.
    All in all a very good conference/holiday – and I am sure I will come back here again – they looked after me like my family and who can resist that? If you are going to Malta and like friendly, efficient service, do not hesitate – book the Dragonara today!

Unique Quality: Quiet helpfulness. Smiling staff, full of humour and they are so welcoming at all levels.

Directions: Great location by the beach, casino and few minutes walk from the lively area with bars and restaurants.

• weak westin

Not wonderful. We recommended this hotel to friends visiting us in Malta. Day 1 no towels or soap provided in bathroom - same thing day 2. My friends waited 2 hours before they helped themselves to the house keeping cart. Breakfast was a fight to the finish, basically a badly supervised buffet. Lots of kids playing with food. Plus my husband got sick after eating fish in the lobby restaurant at lunch. Check out was disappointing. Even though the hotel were informed well in advance that a late check out was require and took the booking on that understanding, there was considerable argument when the time arrived. My husband and I were deeply embarrased to witness this is a so called 5 star hotel treating people with little regard to their basic needs.

• lforrro's Profile Photo

Good place to organize a convention!

I have just returned from a couple of days spend in Malta for a convention.
    The hotel is beautiful and has a great view above the sea.
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner were served as a buffet and you could choose what you wanted. I liked the fresh fruit, the soups and the cold dishes, didn’t like the meat (a question of personal taste, perhaps…). The coffee in the restaurant was not strong enough (but coming from Italy I’m used with the expresso’s…), but the serving personnel in the restaurant was very friendly.
    The bar in the lounge was not ready to make happy a lot of clients at the same time, so a lot of my colleagues had to walk away after waiting way to long in order to ask for an espresso.
    I never met the maids taking care of my room, but I’d like to thank then this way as the room was impeccable every single day.
    Also the personnel from the Reception was very helpful and friendly and we also appreciated a lot the transfer service offered by the hotel. The driver took us to La Valetta and brought us back to the hotel at the time we agreed and fro a very good price.
    In conclusion: a good place to organize a convention!

Unique Quality: Great view on the sea.

More about The Westin Dragonara Resort

Luxury hotel in St. Julian's

by marjanh about Westin Dragonara

The hotel has large rooms, all with a balcony with sea-view. There are several restaurants, rather expensive. The italian restaurant is not very good, but both Terrace - the buffet restaurant - and Quadro are excellent. it is located next to the casino.

The best place for family or love holidays

by pmeurice about The Westin Dragonara Hotel

Nice hotel with a real character, big but quiet and with huge rooms and beds and a kid club of excellent quality. Get rit of them, they will be as happy as you and you will have time for love... Plenty of restaurants around, Night clubs and discos of Paceville for those who like that, quiet hotel, nice indoor and outdoor swimming pool, kid club, sea water swimming pool close to there. I went there three times and I love it.

Malta's Best

by challenger about Westin Dragonara

This is one of the best resort hotels on the island. Contrary to other high-class establishments it is utterly devoid of any snobbery. Staff is very friendly, helpful and relaxed. You can walk around in shorts to any of their restaurants without feeling intimated. It’s got access to the sea on a small private beach as well as some nice pool areas and also houses the Dragonara Casino if you would like to try your luck. Most rooms have balconies with sea view.

Great Location

by rcsparty about Westin Dragonara

We had a great time at the Westin. Our room was more then spacious for the four of us, and our view from the balcony was fantastic. The people at the hotel were very helpful in terms of planning our days activities. They also had kids activities at the hotel, although our kids were not too interested in letting me and wife explore the island on our own. The hotel was walking distance from some very good restaurants and nightlife.

Overall, we were very happy with both the hotel and the service.

5 Star Luxury in a Lively Area of Malta

by mazzap about Westin Dragonara Resort

The Westin Dragonara Resort is a beautiful 5 star hotel with the most courteous and friendly staff you could ever hope for! Huge comfortable rooms, an elegant, grand foyer and extensive well maintained grounds set in a quiet location a few minutes walk from the lively areas.

The hotel has every amenity you would expect from a top class hotel - a beauty salon, large gym, 1 indoor and 2 outdoor pools (one saltwater one fresh), many bar areas, several good quality restaurants, lovely gardens, kids club (which I heard was very good!), water sports hire, beautifully maintained public areas, and several lido areas with direct access into the sea!

We chose to stay in a tower room as they have such large balconies with amazing views (and gorgeous cane furniture if you request it and are lucky enough to get it, but they can't promise!).

Staff here are ever willing to please. On a couple of occasions there were treats such as wine, fresh fruit and a large dish of local snacks awaiting us in our room!

We had negotiated use of the 'Club Lounge' which is generally reserved exclusively for guests on the top 'executive' floors. Well worth the extra in our opinion!

The newly revamped lounge has smart leather sofas and outdoor seating with great views, soft drinks available all day, help yourself alcoholic drinks for 2 hours daily from 6pm and the most delicious snacks and nibbles to accompany them!

In addition there are books and daily international papers, 2 large plasma screen TV's, and 2 computers with free internet use (but on a first come, first served basis so sometimes you couldn't get a look in as kids monopolised them for ages to chat and play games!) At less busy times it was easier to find a free terminal to use if necessary.

A lovely buffet breakfast is served in the lounge with a good choice of hot and cold food until 10:30 each day.

The Heavenly Bed & The View

by Bilimari about The Westin Dragonara Resort

This was one of my best hotel stay experiences... the great ocean view from the room, wonderful services by hotel staffs, the concierge, the facility, etc. And the best of all, "the heavenly bed" was just that, heavenly comfortable. Though I didn't spend much time in my room, it was nice to go back to always clean and more than comfortable bed.

There is a casino next to the hotel, and many restaurants, pubs, bars, clubs, and shops within a short walking distance. This hotel has many qualities including, nice restaurants, bar, outdoor swimming pool, spa, suvenir shop, dive shop, conference facilities, kids check-in area, etc. but the best quality is beautiful ocen view from your room.

If you have any questions about the hotel, the area, etc., go to their website and ask questions using 24hours live chat.

Internet connection is available for extra charge. (lm7.00/24hrs) You can also purchase WiFi card at the concerge desk. The card is good for 3 days from the time you first log in.

Not worth the money???

by TripAdvisor Member Walshy1967

My Wife and I stayed at the Westin Dragonara in Sept 2002.

We stayed in a tower room which was nice and didn't cost too much extra, but too many touches are missing all around the hotel which in our opinion stop it from being a true 5 star hotel.

The waiters were always looking for tips, and even though we booked half board, we had to spend half an hour when checking out at 3am in the morning as we had been presented with a bill for several hundred pounds for our evening meals. Even when we showed our booking forms stating that we were on half board, they refused to believe us and wanted us to pay the money and then argue about it later! Not the type of service we expected from this quality of hotel.

The hotel is undoubtedly very nice, but for the money, we would have rather stayed at the Phoenicia in Valetta which is a proper 5 star.

Good hotel, but with certain problems

by TripAdvisor Member travelquick

I stayed at Westin Dragonara in mid-September, which is off-season for families, so I did not experience crowds of kids in the pool or elsewhere, but I understand there can easily be a crowding problem, as there is only one mid-size pool for 341 rooms and the so-called "beach" is an unapproachable piece of cement built on a rocky shore, the sea being rough all the time.
The hotel combines certain very high standards (eg very comfortable double rooms with two queen beds, wide corridors, efficient lifts, elegant lobby, one of the best locations on the island overlooking the sea) with certain negative aspects and lower standards of performance, due, to some extent, to the resources and conditions that are available on the island of Malta, which is not a fully developed place. The bathroom, for example, had certain faults inconsistent with the hotel's rating (eg the inox equipment had turned black, it needed just regular maintenance, the toilet was small), the curtains were cheap, the sliding doors to the balcony only had one coat of glass, so that every noise on the street was heard (the room was on the 3rd storey and a track's engine working for more than half an hour woke me up every day at 6am!) The prices for meals, room service and other services, though reasonably expensive by north-European standards, are definitely excessive for the island's standards and price levels. The same is true for all services pre-tailored for tourists on the island, including taxis, which charge pre-defined prices that are, nevertheless, more than triple of the corresponding taximeter calculations (but taximeter-taxis are practically unavailable at hotels and hard to find or unreliable in other places). Food is just what one can expect from the level of the hotel (but nothing spectacular, it could have some extra flair) and the staff is sometimes good and sometimes inexplicably inefficient. It is obvious that the staff is instructed to be helpful, but they lack background and experience. Overall, the price could be lower to reflect that fact, as well as the condition of the island: Though it is picturesque with certain interesting touristic sites (castles, the cathedral, old towns etc), a large part is congested and in state of neglect (eg, almost all electric wires hang around buildings!) and there are hardly any beaches. The weather is sunny but very humid, not at all like Spain, Italy or Greece. St Julians is where the big hotels are built, but, except for the Westin hotel's location, the place is congested and quality is generally very low around, with places offering good food and service being very few and relatively expensive.

Westin Dragonara Resort rear view of tower roomsWestin Dragonara Resort rear view of tower rooms

Dragonara CasinoDragonara Casino

Dragonara CasinoDragonara Casino

Dragonara bathroomDragonara bathroom

Westin Dragonara

by ryeandwater

Hi all
My wife and I have accumulated enough points with Starwood and are thinking of booking the Westin Dragonara in September. Can anyone provide me with feedback (good/bad/other) on the actual hotel, its location and proximity to activities.

Thanks

rb

Re: Westin Dragonara

by Xemx

I've never stayed in the Westin Dragonara, but we've booked some of our clients from work into it and no one's ever complained. It's situated in St Julians in a very good location, close to the heart of St Julians and a nice walk from Sliema. It's very easy to catch a bus from there to Valletta main bus terminus which has buses to every part of Malta.

Re: Westin Dragonara