Duncan Guest House

See Amenities

Terrible service

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 16, 2015

As a tourist, I went to Marsaxlokk's market with friends. Of course, one of our intentions was to eat seafood in one of the many restaurants along the coast. Somehow, we chose Duncan, aaah if we had known...

Me and my friends waited about an hour before receiving our differents orders. After one hour of waiting, we finally received our expected meal. Well, I say "we" but it was actually only four of us. Two of my friends were still waiting, starving. But still, 10 minutes after me and my friend were served, the two others were still painfully waiting for their meals. We finally realized that they had forgotten them when one of the waitress came to us, asking what were the last two meals. She didn't say anything but it was quite obvious. Our unfortunate friends waited so 1H30 before eating.

In addition to that, the first waitress couldn't even speak English properly ! I thought the maltese were supposed to be bilingual but it's not surprising knowing that most of the people in the south speak only Maltese with eachother and tend to have lacks in Malta's second language. She couldn't explain the meals and when I came to her asking a question, she had to call the boss so that he could translate and answer. I don't speak English perfectly either, it's not my mothertongue but come on, she is a waitress ! Are we supposed to speak Maltese ?

Luckily, the food was alright. Well, for me. That's why I'm not rating lower. At least, the food was good ;)

For this bad service, we didn't receive any apologizes which I find extremely rude. I don't like bringing down restaurant like that but I think they desserve it and as I need to improve my English, it's a good opportunity to practice my writing in a useful way.

[Sorry for the mistakes and if someone wants to correct them, don't hesitate^^]

leics's Profile Photo

Brilliant place

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 1, 2008

Right by Marsaxlokk harbour.

Duncans is also a bar/restaurant/cafe/pizzeria so you can eat on the spot, as it were.

Rooms are pristine, towels are changed daily. All rooms (I think) have the fan/fridge/sink/kettle etc that mine had, so you can make your own drinks/snacks if you want (tea, coffe and sugar supplied). They all (I think) have balconies, and air con.

There's a washing machine available for guests (amazing) and a computer with internet access (you'll have to ask one of the owners to put it on for you, as it accesses the web through another computer).

You can go up on the roof for sunbathing, and excellent views of the bay.

You can have a cooked breakfast if you like (breakfast costs extra), or just bread/toast and preserves and fruit, or cereals, or yoghurt: any combination really.

I can't recommend this place highly enough for excellent value accommodation and really friendly and helpful owners/staff.

Directions: Right by the harbour: unmissable. Parking along the side-roads next to the building, or behind.

Duncan Guest House

• Duncan Guest House Hotel Marsaxlokk

Address: 33, Xatt is Sajjieda, Marsaxlokk, Malta

4 Photos of Duncan Guest House

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Duncan Guest House

• Restaurant

Marsaxlokk Travel Forum

Need advice about Marsaxlokk, Malta? Visit the Travel Forum for Marsaxlokk and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Marsaxlokk hotel reviews

Golden Sun Aparthotel

Explore Deeper into Marsaxlokk
Public Transport
To Marsaxlokk by bus
To Marsaxlokk on foot
Our Lady of Pompeii Church
Things to Do
take a short trip to this nice bay
Luzzus
Food poisoning - be warned
Cafeteria in Square
Local fish Restuarant
Restaurants
Cafeteria and Restuarant in Marsaxlokk !
Visit the Local Market on Sunday
Marsaxlokk Bay
Terraces
Old cars
Transportation
Traditional Maltese fishing boats.
Fish Shop
Shopping
The Eye of Osiris
The Village festa.
Local Customs
A cheap but selling advert !
The Maltese Luzzu