3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• glamourprincess's Profile Photo

Modern hotel in the middle of everything

We stayed at Baystreet Hotel during our stay in Malta. Baystreet is located inside the BAYSTREET complex - buidlings containing shops, restaurants, game arcade etc and our hotel. When we arrived we had to make our way through big crowds of teenagers and families who were watching a local talent show being held in the middle of Baystreet complex, it was very noisy and not a place to be for romantic holidays (good thing we had one earlier this summer). The staff is professional though. Our room was cleaned every day, but it was just roughly and we only got new sheets twice. They just made our bed. The room was huge and spacey! Quite modern and far better standard than in Greece, but the balcony was a hole in the wall and faced the opposite buidling, very sad! Safe deposity box were rented at 2 LM, and you could get 10 international tv-channels for 3LM A DAY (crazy!!) The worst part of the hotel was the elevator...there were two, but only one was working..actually the other one wasn't working either, it could take as much as 15 minutes to get to our floor. As it stopped everywhere, it could go from level 3 to 4, 4 to 3, 3 - 7, 7- 0, before taking us to our floor! We were totally annoyed and so was everyone else.

Unique Quality: The pool is located on the 7th floor; the roof and has a splendid view over St.George's Bay. That was really nice. The pool area was always crowded with guests (mostly loud Italians and Germans) and you had to be there before 11 AM to get a sunbed. The sunbeds were really worn out and in terrible condition. The pool was warm and had a perfect temperature. There is a small pool bar downstairs which serves drinks, toast and a fruit salad, cheap but nothing extraordinary. They played music most of the day and it varied between Italian ballads and house music.

The hotel is situated in the middle of it all... the crazy nightlife in Paceville, and it's a good place to stay for young people that wants to go out and have fun during their holiday! There are also some good shops and restaurants in the complex: Marks and Spencer, FCUK and Hard Rock Cafe were my favorites!

Directions: Across the street from St.George's Bay.

More about Baystreet Hotel

A good value for money choice

by infodigger about Baystreet hotel

The Baystreet hotel is quite big with several stores inside it. The stay was wonderful except for one night when there was a party downstairs and we couldn't sleep. Of course the party was great but since we were at excursions all day we needed some time to sleep. The rooms are good, don't expect anything luxurious but it worths the price.

Hard Rock Cafe

by Katakito

Located in the Bay Street Hotel complex in the fashionable St. Julian's district, you will discover some of the most mouth-watering meals ever to be served in the middle of the Mediterranean. Pleasant ambiance and soothing music..........

My holiday in Saint Julian's

by glamourprincess

"Not the most peaceful place on earth"

I visited Malta for the first time in August 2006. Travelling with my boyfriend, we were going to stay at the Baystreet Hotel in the middle of Paceville. Help! I knew we wouldn't get much peace and quiet, and I was fairly right. We did sleep well though, because the rooms at our hotel were very well isolated from sounds and noise from the outside.
When I think of Malta and Saint Julian's, I think of language school students just turned 16 and on their first holiday away from their parents. I was right, I just didn't think there would be so many of them! The language school students are everywhere.. filling the barstreets, Burger King, Baystreet Complex and Saint George's Bay. When I went to Skiathos in June, I felt so young.. in Saint Julian's I felt old and boring. Staying in the middle of the Baystreet Complex is not the most romantic spot on the planet. It's like an open-air mall with lots of stores, restaurants and an arcade. And there was always something going on on the first floor, such as local talentshows.. Oh well. They did have some great shops there though!

"Spinola Bay and Sliema"

Spinola Bay, the area close to Portofino complex and Sliema were all close by and were the most charming and nicest parts of Saint Julian's. I'm used to greek charm with white houses, flowers and narrow streets, Malta was quite the opposite. I missed the beauty of it all.. There was too much waste lying around, and many closed shops and restaurants made the place look a bit deserted and in need of refurbishment. Spinola Bay was quite nice though and it was a nice walk along the sea over to Sliema. Lots of restaurants and cafes to choose from..

"Valletta, Comino and Mellieha Bay"

We went on three trips during our stay. Once we went to the capital Valletta - we walked on our alone through the many streets.. it's cool to see the old buildings, and I'm sure the town carries a lot of history, but we didn't visit any museums since none of us are particularly interested in history or culture.. (not yet!). Water was overpriced and it was hard to find places that sold food and drinks in the burning heat. We went there by bus, an overcrowded cheap yellow old bus. It's like being in a sauna for 45 minutes. Valletta had some great shops (I do love shopping!) : Miss selfridges, Mango, Marks & Spencer.. We had lunch at an outdoor restaurant, low prices and fairly good pizza. I was a bit dissappointed with Valletta as I thought there would be more to see and experience without entering museums and churches.

We love beaches and swimming, so we went to Mellieha Bay which is supposed to be the best beach in Malta. It was nice..sandy and lovely for swimming. Just the right temperature in the ocean. It was a bit pricey to rent sunbeds LM5 for two sunbeds and an umbrella. And there was a lot of trash in the sand such as cigarettes and stuff.. Italians smoke too much! It is so not sexy by the way! Once again we travelled by bus.. an overcrowded overheated bus.. At least it's cheap!

The blue lagoon is an absolute must-see! We went there by boat on one of Captain Morgan's (he's everywhere!) organized trips. A huge wooden sailboat. Really lovely! We got a bit seasick though, too much waves! But the blue lagoon was amazing, and staying at that boat was just perfect. A perfect lazy and relaxing day out on the sea.

My first holiday in Malta

by glamourprincess

"Saint Julians and Paceville"

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions Malta is language schools, and frankly St.Julian's is packed with 16 year old students of language schools! Especially in Paceville. As the age limit for buying and drinking alchohol in Malta is 16 years old..you can imagine the rest. Most clubs have a 16 year old limit as well and being 25 years old myself.. I felt..well.. old!! Some places had an older crowd though..thank God! There is one beach in St.Julian's; St.George's Bay. It is quite small, there is a small area where you can rent sunbeds and umbrellas, but most people bring their towel. The sand is coarse and grainy; kind of like gravel; so Mellieha Bay is an better option if you want beach life in Malta. We preferred the pool to St.George's Bay as it got really crowded with language school students and other young people during the day. There are lots of restaurants, cafes, bars and clubs in the area. The only nice place in St.Julians/Paceville is Spinola Bay with its nice restaurants and the cute little bay with its colorful boats. There is also a long promenade along the ocean going to Sliema.
My boyfriend and I had booked a room at Baystreet Hotel in Paceville/St.Julian's for our holiday. It looked like a modern hotel with all the facilities and it was situated in the middle of the busiest town in Malta, Paceville. Our minivan provided by our travel agency took us to Paceville and dropped us off at the Baystreet Complex which is kind of an open-air mall with lots of stores and restaurants, and our hotel. We knew it was not going to be a quiet and peaceful hotel, but staying inside a mall where the locals had a talent show, was a bit too much. We barely made our way to the reception area. We had to take the elevator to the 5th floor, no big deal, except from it was the elevator from hell, sometimes we had to wait for 15 minutes to get to our level. Our room was huge and spacey, great! But the balcony was a shame, our view was right into the wall of the neighbor building, and the balcony was dark and cave-like. Luckily the rooms were well-isolated, so we were not bothered by the loud music coming from the mall, pool and restaurants. Our pool was on the 7th floor (the roof) and had a great view over St.George's Bay. The pool area was always crowded at certain times of the day (11 AM - 4 PM) so we had to get there before 11 to get sunbeds. The sunbeds were really worn-out! Replacement needed! It was lovely to have a pool though and there was a small cafe that played (really loud) music; a mix of Italian ballads (lots of Italians stayed at Baystreet along with Germans and a few English people), dance and house music, a pop compilation from 1999, LeAnn Rimes..etc

"Saint Julian's and Paceville"

Bay street hotel

by playita

Hello! I will probably stay there around december, is it a good hotel? is it a good area? i mean,beautiful? or is silema more beautiful?and spinola bay? im a bit confused! thank you!! :-)

by Maurizioago

Well, Sliema is only fifteen minutes by bus from Valletta.

by ray_d

The Hotel I cannot help with but as Maurizio said: Spinola and Sliema are very close. Both places are attractive.
However if you want to be closer to late night clubbing then Spinola would be closer to the action.

by Xemx

The hotel is situated in the Bay Street tourist complex which is lively during the evenings and especially on weekends. It's just up the street from St Georges Bay and a short walking distance from Paceville which is the most popular place for night clubbing. Close by is the Eden Century Bowling Alley and Cinema Complex. I've had a couple of friends stay in the hotel and they were pleased with it. It's in a good area if you want to be in the midst of things...Sliema is quieter. Spinola Bay is pretty and a little more lively than Sliema in the evenings due to its various restaurants.

by playita

thank you all! I have booked the hotel! i will let you know when i return( still one month to go!!) :-)

by Xemx

You're welcome! Have a great time :-)

by Maurizioago

Go and take some beautiful pics!

by Incubus30

As Xemx stated , the hotel is situated in a shopping centre. It is quite nosy in Summer time however I guess that at this period it should be okay. Spinola is only 10min walk away while a good bus service is available to make it to Sliema.

Enjoy it !

by yugo

Well malta is very small so wherever you stay wont take you long to get to another destination. I would suggest st. Julians, all the nice hotels are situated around that location. http://www.bbtravelservices.com might be able to help you out with choosing the right hotel.

Comments