Cavalieri Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Costs 54% more and rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value hotel overlooking Spinola Bay

I stayed at the 4* Cavalieri Hotel with my fiancee and her parents for 1 night during our visit to St Julian's in December 2013.

We booked our stay through Travel Republic and paid just £28 for each double room with buffet breakfast included.

We paid in full at the time of booking; about 10 weeks before our visit.

Location

Cavalieri Hotel is located on the waterfront on the northern edge of Spinola Bay in St Julian's.

We arrived in St Julian's on the X2 bus from Luqa International Airport; a journey which took around an hour in heavy traffic and with flooded roads after heavy rainfall. We disembarked the bus at the "Spinola" stop and walked along the water's edge to the hotel in around 5 minutes. It was an easy walk, even with our luggage in tow, but with the seawater lapping at our feet we might have been better walking along the main road; simply walk up the hill (Triq San Gorg) from Spinola Bay and turn right onto Triq Spinola.

At the end of our stay we left St Julian's on the 222 bus heading to Mellieha. We caught this from the "Ross" bus stop which was slightly closer to the hotel than the "Spinola" stop, albeit an uphill walk.

There are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk of the hotel, including several upmarket places with terraces overlooking the picturesque Spinola Bay. The centre of St Julian's is a 5-10 minute walk away, while following the coast south brings you to the large town of Sliema in 20-30 minutes.

In the opposite direction, the dining and nightlife quarter of Paceville is a short walk from the hotel.

Bedroom

Our double room was located on the 2nd floor of the hotel, just above the main entrance. From our balcony we had a partial sea view and looked out towards the small Portomaso Marina and the nearby Hilton hotel. Rooms on the other side of the hotel would enjoy very good views over the outdoor swimming pool, the sun terrace and across Spinola Bay.

Our room was spacious and contained two very comfortable queen beds. They were a bit short (both Emma and I are 6ft tall and found that our feet stuck out at the bottom during the night), but were nice and wide.

There didn't appear to be any way to change the room temperature via the air conditioning/heating system. This was fine by me, as the room was a reasonable temperature, but Emma found that she needed to put a spare duvet on the bed overnight.

The room contained a large wardrobe with ample space for two people's clothing. It also housed the complimentary safe. The safe was sufficiently large to lock my netbook in while we were out; I'd always taken this for granted, but at another hotel that we stayed at during this trip to Malta, we had a safe that was too small even to fit my netbook in, let alone a full size laptop.

The TV picked up half a dozen local and international channels, including BBC News and CNN. Wi-fi was free in the hotel's reception and lobby bar area, but not in the guest rooms. I briefly used it in the lobby bar in the evening and, while it wasn't particularly fast, it was adequate for my needs.

There were bedside cabinets on either side of the beds as well as a drawer between the two beds. There were ample (UK-style) electrical sockets throughout the room for charging batteries and devices overnight.

The room contained a fridge/mini bar (well stocked with the usual selection of overpriced soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, chocolates and savoury snacks), as well as coffee and tea making facilities (namely a kettle, tea bags, coffee and sugar sachets and milk).

The bathroom was clean and modern and contained a bathtub with shower. Unfortunately, the shower in our room didn't work; the button that you would normally press to switch the water supply from the taps to the shower had been broken off, so there was no way to operate the shower. The shower in Emma's parents' room worked fine.

A selection of complimentary toiletries (soap, shampoo, shower gel and shower caps) was provided, as well as fresh towels.

The balcony contained a couple of plastic chairs and a small plastic table.

Breakfast

Breakfast was served between 7am and 10am in the spacious dining room, located downstairs from the reception area, with large windows looking out over the swimming pool and Spinola Bay. It was nice to eat breakfast with the sun streaming into the dining room and giving plenty of natural light.

We only had one night (and hence one breakfast) at the hotel, so I can't comment on whether the selection varies from one day to the next. However, the variety of food on offer was extensive, so even if it is the same each day there is plenty of choice to keep guests satisfied during longer stays.

The breakfast buffet consisted of cereals (several types, with dried banana, raisins and prunes to add as desired), yoghurts, fruit salad, fresh fruit, various cakes and biscuits, croissants, pain au chocolats and a good selection of breads with jams, honey and chocolate spread. Cooked items included bacon, pork sausages, chicken sausages, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, French toast and various styles of eggs (scrambled, fried and boiled).

Drinks included orange juice, grapefruit juice and a vast selection of teas, coffee and hot chocolate.

On the day of our stay, breakfast was a relaxing experience; the dining room was less than half full, we had no problem getting a table and there were no queues for the food.

Facilities

Cavalieri Hotel has both indoor and outdoor swimming pools.

The water in the indoor pool wasn't heated, but it was a reasonable temperature and the room in which it is housed was well heated thanks to the sun shining through the large windows. After a quick dip in the outdoor pool (which would be best described as "invigorating" in December!), the water in the indoor pool felt as warm as bath water!

A section at one end of the pool contained seating and water jets. The jets weren't working at the time of our visit and when we reported this to the staff they didn't seem to know how to fix the problem. We got the impression that the jacuzzi part of the pool hadn't worked for some time.

The pool area also contains a sauna cubicle, but it hadn't been switched on on the morning that we were there. We didn't have time to wait for it to be switched on and to reach the requisite temperature. Another guest reported that he had used the sauna earlier in the week, so it does apparently work, unlike the jacuzzi.

Towels for use around the pools are provided. Obtain a towel token from reception and trade it in for a towel at the downstairs desk. Return the towel to get your token back and return the token to reception to avoid having the cost of the towel added to your room bill. It was the off-season when we visited and the staff seemed to have great difficulty in getting towels for us. It took 20 minutes or so before we were eventually presented with a pile of freshly laundered towels.

The indoor pool is open from 9am until 6pm. It would have been useful if the pool had been open later in the evenings so that we could have made use of it after a day of sightseeing. Instead, we used it briefly between finishing breakfast and checking out of the hotel.

The outdoor pool is surrounded by a lovely sun terrace overlooking Spinola Bay. Sun loungers are available for guests. I imagine it would be a nice place to relax in the summer. On the sunny December morning that we were there, there were a few hardy souls laying on the sun loungers (mainly in long sleeves) reading their newspapers and books.

General

All of the staff that we dealt with during our short stay were friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were very quick and smooth.

There is a gift shop and a desk for booking excursions next to reception.

The lobby bar has a nice atmosphere, with comfortable seating and live music being performed on the evening of our stay. We sat in there for a while in order to make use of the hotel's complimentary wi-fi.

Overall, we enjoyed our short stay at Cavalieri Hotel and found it to be exceptionally good value for money. The location was ideal (overlooking Spinola Bay), our room was spacious and comfortable, the breakfast buffet was incredibly extensive and the swimming pools were a great place to relax. All for just £14 per person! We would happily stay there again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Directions: Located on the waterfront on the northern edge of Spinola Bay in St Julian's.

• iaint's Profile Photo

recommended by a friend...

A friend pointed me towards this place. It is in the 4 star category.

Well I've spent my first night here...the room is fine & the public areas are nice enough (with free wifi). It's March so I doubt if I'll be testing the swimming pool...

Whilst it is comfortable enough, I'm not sure it's my idea of 4 star. But at the price... Great views over the harbour, the open sea and the marina at the Hilton.

Breakfast buffet was OK, but not 4 star. The breakfast room is kind of strange - more like a works canteen than a 4 star hotel dining room. Maybe it's aimed at the package tour market.

€45 p-night including breakfast.

Unique Quality: The harbourside location

Directions: On the point

More about Cavalieri Hotel

MALTA - you'll Love it OR Hate it.

by unacay

"SAGA Holiday in The Cavalieri Hotel, St Julians"

My unlucky for some thirteenth visit to Malta was a success once again.
My first visit to this All Inclusive Hotel.
Many say don't do the organised tours but even after visiting so often I still do some organised tours and enjoy them.
This time I had four free tours:- An Orientation Bus Tour passing through St. Julians, Spinola bay, then onto Paceville, St. George's Bay and Valletta;
Mosta & Mdina, visiting Mosta Dome 3rd largest in Europe and Mdina (The Silent City and former Capital); Valletta Market & Qrendi, visiting Valletta Sunday Market, and the village of Qrendi where traditional Maltese Cheese & Peas Cakes were sampled in the Preists House & we visited the Church; Villages & Traditions, visiting some out of the way traditional villages, then to a 300-year old farmhouse, where Maltese bread pudding & biscuits were sampled.
I also paid for Four Additional Tours: St Paul's Catacombs, Visiting The Roman Villa (Museum), St Paul's Church, Grotto & Catacombs; Sailing trip round Malta's & Gozo Bays, & Comino's Blue Lagoon including lunch on board The Fernandez (a two master); The Times of Malta Tour, visiting Vittoriosa (Malta G.C./shelter), Fort Rinella (100 ton gun), Ta@ Qali craft village, Scenic drive through Girgenti, Busket gardens (where we had lunch), & Dingli Cliffs visiting a small church overlooking Filfla Islands (where the two tailed lizzards live) that was used as target practice during the second world war; Sicily, Pozzallo for coffee, Taormina a typical Sicillian village where I had lunch in a beautiful Garden overlooking the bay and visited the Roman Ampitheatre, Mount Etna via the cable car only as there isn't enough time to go on the 4 x 4's; I thoroughly enjoyed all of these tours, some with my husband but many alone or with friends I met at the Hotel.
I normally stay in Sliema when in Malta but have also stayed in Bugiba and now St Julians (Spinola Bay). I was pleasantly surprised by this part of St. Julians as it is an area I would normally avoid.
I will continue to visit Malta every few years, I have friends who live in Cospicua but I think I would go back even if I hadn't as it's a lovely Island group and the people are very friendly and helpful.
Malta is in the EEC and next year will be using the Euro.

"Blue Lagoon - Comino"

The Blue Lagoon at Comino is a popular destination for the Captain Morgan and other small Island Cruise Ships, and for private pleasure craft. When there it is possible to take pleasure motor boats to the many caves, such as the Australian Cave where nature has excavated a hole in the shape of an upside down map of Australia, and the cave with the small beach at the end where local courting couples are said to visit. Most people swim in the Lagoon where the water is mostly calm, warm and inviting.

"Valletta"

Valletta has many Museums such as the Casa Rocco Piccola, Historic House, home of a Maltese noble family, still in private hands. The Malta Experience, The National War Museum, The National Museum of Archaeology where there was showing of the Silent Warriors-The Chinese Terracotta Soldiers (a few of them anyway). The Fine Arts Museum, The Palace Armory & State Rooms, and The Museum of St John's Co Cathedral, and many more.

Official Cavalieri Hotel PostcardOfficial Cavalieri Hotel Postcard

SUPERMARKET IN ST JULIANS

by S1234

Hello, a friend of mine is staying at cavalieri hotel in June and is wanting to find a big supermarket that is cheaper than the smaller ones dotted around, they are hiring a car so can travel, i know that there is one closer to st georges bay as i have been there, does anyone know of anywhere closer.

many thanks

by ray_d

I am surprised your friends have this problem.
Typing Malta and Supermarkets gets this link below.

I use Greens in Sliema
and PAVI in Qormi

If you are looking for a TESCO style then PAVI would work for you.

by S1234

many thanks for this much appreciated, i will pass on the info

by ray_d