138 Tower Road, Sliema, Island of Malta, SLM 08, Malta

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• planxty's Profile Photo

I shouldn't even be writing this!

There is a reason for the slightly odd title of this tip which will hopefully be explained by the following which is taken in part and edited slightly from my blog so apologies if it is a different writing style to my normal hotel tips. Basically, I was booked in to stay at a nearby studio run by the hotel.

" I went to reception and booked in although I was rather surprised to have to settle the bill upfront. Not a major problem as it is an extremely inexpensive deal by European standards. The chap took me along to the apartment building and opened the door to #5, my allotted billet. One look at the place showed something was wrong as it obviously had not been made up. To make a long story short, there was not a studio for me due to a mix-up in the housekeeping and I was offered a room in the hotel for the night.

The room was OK with a lovely view of a building site and a little cold with a small electric heater trying it's best to battle the chill." It was spotless and perfectly acceptable however. My one slight complaint was with the shower cubicle which was obviously designed with someone much smaller than me in mind. I am not normally a fan of taking your own photgraph at arms length which seems to be such a feature of the modern mobile 'phone and social networking generation. I have, however, included one here purely to illustrate how small the cubicle was. To give you a sense of scale, I am 6'5" tall.

The shower was only a small problem and the room was certainly comfortable enough with the additional bedding being utilised to keep off the winter cold although I did notice there was only one set of extra bedding in a twin room.

I was on the fourth floor and had read some horror stories about antiquated Maltese lifts but the one in this building worked perfectly well.

I had chosen the studio rather than a hotel room for an extended stay as I fancied the option of cooking a bit myself and the prices for both options were identical. The price I have quoted is for off-season and is remarkably inexpensive. This would definitely be a good long-term option in winter although I still prefer the studio.

Excellent value.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique, just a clean and comfortable place to lay your head even if my stay was unplanned.

Directions: On Tower Road directly opposite Fortizza restaurant.

• mcflin's Profile Photo

One of the Worlds worstDo not even think about goi

Do not even think about staying here.
    Bathrooms in poor condition and room definitely not clean. Beds absolutely shocking and sheets left a bit to be desired.
    Ceiling fan unusable due to constant squeaking - all in all a bad experience.

We have stayed in hundreds of accommodation rooms throughout the world over the years and this is on a par with the worst. We booked on the internet and PAID for 4 nights , but walked out after one night. They had also promised us a sea front room, but no such luck - ended up right out the back.
    This place has a 3 night cancellation policy so we lost that money, but at least a far more comfortable hotel (at not too much extra cost) made our stay in Malta more pleasant.

Unique Quality: A night never to be forgotten!!!!

Comments