Sliema Hotels

Our Members Say

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Miranda aparetments.: Excellent value off-season.

I was looking for an off-season stay in Malta for about a month and checked on several of the usual booking sites I used, finally deciding on the Miranda apartments. There were several reasons for this. The location seemed good with easy access to the nightlife etc. of nearby St, Julian (San Giljan) and also easy transport to Velletta and a small kitchenette. Staying for an extended period, eating out every meal was going to knock the budget a bit so the thought of a little self-catering was attractive. The clincher though was the price which was absolutely right. I ended up paying approximately £13 sterling per night which is a snip and even lower than the prices published on the official notice in the apartment.

I have described on another page here that there was a slight hiatus on the night I arrived as the room had not been made up but I was given a decent room in the Europa Hotel two doors along. The Europa actually own the apartments.

The rental apartments are all on the ground floor with the upstairs floors being occupied privately and this leads to a sense of it being a "home" rather than just a holiday resort place. Security is as you would expect in a private residence and you actually have to negotiate four doors to get in your room, so that is not a concern. If you like, you can rent a safety box in the hotel but I really didn't feel the need. You can also get wifi in the internet cafe in the hotel if you feel the need although there is none in the accomodation.

so what is it like? Well, I do not require much from the places I stay, I just need somewhere to sleep, wash and, in this case, eat a little. The images probably do it justice bed. It was perfectly comfortabel. Being an apartment rather than a hotel, I was expecting the room to be made up about once a week with new laundry etc., but it was immaculately made up every day I was there. It was a twin room that I had sole occupancy of and the bed was comfortable and big enough for me rather tall frame. The toilet was small but adequate and clean although the shower cubicle was a bit tight for me.

The kitchenette consisted of fridge, sink, two ring electric burner and microwave. I don't know how many people they expected in a twin bedroom but the pots were huge, you could have fed ten from them. My only slight complaint was a lack if implements, there was really only kitchen cutlery and a couple of plastic spatulas etc. but this was explained to me when I met the former owner by chance one night. He exp;ained that the guests keep stealing everything!

It is not a problem for me, having travelled in Asia where it is common, but there is no window in the room, save for a tiny one high up on the wall to allow ventilation. I know this may be an issue for some people.

All in all, this place was extremely cheap and I was not expecting too much but it really was rather cosy. I would certainly stay there again.

The contact details are for the Europa Hotel and you should go through them.

there is nothing unique about Miranda but,certainly off-season, it is an extremely inexpensive, clean and comfortable place to spend a few weeks.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 26, 2013
Tip Photo

Miranda apartments, Sliema, Malta.

• antistar profile photo antistar
  • Reviews: 2792

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

St. Rita Street, Sliema: Holiday Apartments

The holiday apartment options in Malta seem to offer much better value for money than the hotels. We rented one for a week that was better than any hotel you could book for the same price. Just 50 euros a night for a 55m2 apartment that was as pleasant as an 80 euro hotel room with half the space.

We booked with a guy called Graham Busuttil, whose family run company is responsible for numerous apartments across Malta. They are considered experts in the field and I even saw his brother being interviewed on Malta's main channel. I had no idea what they were talking about though.

We were very pleased with the apartment. It's nicely decorated, well equipped, comfortable, clean and with a little balcony. There's also a roof terrace above, which you only share with one other apartment. We seemed to have the terrace to ourselves in December, which was nice. The only significant bad thing about the place was that it was cold in winter - it has wonderful high ceilings but these kinds of buildings are difficult to heat with (air-con) wall heater high up because hot air rises. But this is typical of Maltese apartments, I believe, and nothing terribly important.

The location is absolutely perfect, just a few hundred meters from the promenade, the buses, the water taxis and the harbour tours. Graham, was also very easy to deal with. We never met in person, everything was sorted out via email and with the driver who Graham arranged to drive us to and from the airport. It was all very simple and quick, allowing us to get on with our holiday without a worry.

(Sorry I only have pictures with my son in them but the ones on the website are accurate)

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written January 21, 2013

Balcony

• LotusV8 profile photo LotusV8
  • Reviews: 256

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

115 Strand Aparthotel: Good value for money

This was perfect, nice hotel with everything that you could wish, we bought some food in a local store and had our breakfast in the room, but they also serve breakfast at the top of the roof.

Satelite-TV, Aircon, Kitchen, pool on the roof, nice view over the harbour

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written September 23, 2006
Tip Photo

• stewartbel profile photo stewartbel
  • Reviews: 225

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Balco hostel: The cheapest hostel in Sliema

Balco is located in Gzira, which is a part of Sliema. It is very near the main street and the promenade.

There are 2-3 bed rooms, at 11 euros for a bed. I stayd at 2 beds room and have an exclelent experience. Rooms are specious, with the bathroom and balcony. Every room has its TV, satelite, airconditioner and refrigerater.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written April 22, 2007

A room

• Elly01 profile photo Elly01
  • Reviews: 354

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hj Diplomat Hotel: Hj Diplomat Hotel

This hotel is situated just opposite the sliema Promenade just as you past the Tower. The hotel consists of many seaviews, bar, restaurant and cafeteria.

Indoor pool