Preluna Hotel & Spa

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Tags

Family Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Spa and Resort
See Amenities

Great effort made by hotel staff

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 4, 2015

It is difficult to give a fair review at times when we have been spoiled by the 5 star hotels in Thailand, but taking all things into consideration The Preluna does a very good job.

Visited May 19th to 26th 2015. We knew before we got there that some of the rooms had been refurbished and some not. Unfortunately we got a room that was not refurbished and had no sea view. You have to pay extra for a balcony which we did in advance, and you have to pay extra for a sea view which we did not have the opportunity to do in advance. When we arrived we did inquire about an upgrade to a sea view but there were none available.

However, the room had everything else you could need or want regardless of the furniture and decor being a bit tired. The beds were comfortable not like most Spanish beds and there were big, fat comfy pillows (always a sore point with travellers when hotels give you one pathetic pancake pillow). Extra pillows were provided, tea and coffee, TV, DVD player hairdryer. Ladies, I would say take your own hairdryer unless you want to spend half an hour getting your hair dried as the hairdryer was one of those ones that you have to keep your finger on the button to keep the air flow and it kept cutting out at a certain temperature and had to wait till it restarted.

Though the room was at the back of the hotel (room 7414) we did get the sun on the balcony in the afternoon which must have pissed off the people who paid for a sea view room.

There is a sun roof on the 8th floor which has panoramic views. Only problem is no parasols though I suspect this might be because when it gets breezy parasols might disappear over the barrier which is only about 3.5 feet high and onto the street below.

Not best safe for small children but luckily for us Malta is not a place that particularly attracts families and small children.

We did B and B only which was fine for us. Breakfast room very nice and staff helpful. At times it gets very busy and crockery and cutlery disappears at a rate of knots.

Food plentiful with a range to meet most people. Tea, coffee, juices on tap. Hot and cold food and European and British. My only complaint is poached eggs over cooked and staff not cleaning the hot plates when making fried eggs. I chose a fried egg one morning but the underside was coated in black carbon off the hot plate so I could not eat it.

Layout of hotel is a bit confusing. New guests should make a point of exploring on the first day or you will miss half of what is available.

Entertainment is dire. We did not attend every night at the lounge on the 13th floor but what we did see was enough to drive us outside. One night there was a DJ who was resembled a stuffed dummy, Another night a very pretty lady played an electric violin and on another night there was a man playing piano in the downstairs bar.

In any event it is what you make of it. There is an indoor gym and spa centre, an outdoor pool across the road (weather permitting) and several restaurants within the hotel.

Local buses very frequent, often a rugby scrum to get on, but another one along soon.
1 euro 50 cents for an all day bus ticket to anywhere. 6 euro 50 for a weekly ticket. Ferry to Valletta just along the road and 2 euro 80 cent return. There is a further discount for bus pass holders but I never found out how to go about that. Maybe check that out from the UK.

Staff could not be nicer and more helpful if you need any help or information.

Would we go back? Probably, but would maybe try another location just to see more of Malta.

uuiiioo's Profile Photo

Somewhat Acceptable Hotel in Sliema, Malta

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 18, 2014

To start off, the hotel was supposed to send us a taxi to take us from the airport to the hotel. However, it never turned up. We waited about an hour and ended up having to pay for our own (again).

Looking at the hotel itself, it's quite alright. The lobby is welcoming and there is a little bar towards the back as well as a seating area.

Regarding rooms, both mine and my step sister's and the parents' rooms were muddled up. They gave them a twin room and us a double. There was some issues with the booking of the actual rooms as well, but I cannot remember exactly what; it took practically forever to finally be able to go up to our rooms. Turns out that when we went up to our rooms the baths were dirty, the fans were about to fall off the ceilings and there were hairs about the place.
We did manage to get a different room that night, thankfully a twin. It was better, but the bath was still dirty, hairs about the place and the fan was going to fall off the ceiling. We did have a balcony however, so we were somewhat content.

Then my step sister had a pair of her underwear stolen by a cleaner. We complained to the reception and they did nothing about it what-so-ever.

Generally, the staff seemed pretty nice, the food was good and there was access to an indoor and outdoor pool. The wifi was also very very very very very slow with poor signal.

Unique Quality: I think that the only thing close to "outstanding" was the pool. It was clean and next to the sea, lovely view. There was also a small grill and bar there.

slothtraveller's Profile Photo

The Preluna

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2008

I found the Preluna a great base while holidaying in Malta. Situated in bustling Sliema on Tower Road, there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The rocky beach is also just opposite. Over the road, the hotel's outdoor pool was a good size and filled with saltwater.
The sun deck on the hotel roof was a highlight as it is equipped with two jacuzzis and many sun loungers. Included use of the adjacent spa includes a steam room, indoor pool and sauna. The staff were very helpful and hospitable. A safe was available in our room for a small charge and there was no problem in leaving our bags at reception on the final day.
A very professionally run hotel which I would certainly recommend.

Swansea100's Profile Photo

One of Malta's best hotels

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 13, 2006

As my father is Maltese, although now living in South Wales, my parents decided it would be nice to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary in Malta. The task of organising the trip was left to me and having visited the island on a regular basis over the last 30 years I decided to book the Preluna Hotel as it is in a pretty central location. As my mother had recently come out of plaster the hotel facilities were also of utmost importance, as she was still not very mobile.

I have to say, the holiday was a huge success and was even better than expected! The customer service was outstanding in every department, the food was excellent and the hotel facilities are certainly more than you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Malta, either as a tourist or on business. Everything you could possibly need is either at the hotel (including WiFi internet access and excellent conference facilites) or within walking distance. Should you wish to be exceptionally lazy the only reason you need to leave the hotel is to get to the airport, which is only a 20 min drive (depending on the traffic ofcourse!)

Unique Quality: One of the outstanding characteristics of this hotel has to be the excellent customer service. Having stayed at various 5 star hotels in both this country and Malta, I have yet to receive better customer service than at the Preluna!

Nearby Preluna Hotel & Spa

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Sliema Travel Forum

Need advice about Sliema, Malta? Visit the Travel Forum for Sliema and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sliema hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into Sliema
Excellent local cuisine.
Now closed.
Restaurants
Great kebabs and open late!
St. Julian's
The old distillery of Sea Water
My view from my room in Hotel Milano Due
Manoel Island & Fort Manoel
Things to Do
The boulevard "The Strand"
The Church of Jesus of Nazareth
Tigne Fort
Things to Do
By taxi to and from the airport
Take the Hop-on & Hop-off-bus from Sliema
Transportation
From Sliema to the airport by public bus
great food & reasonable prices
A Coastal City
Harbour Cruise
Manoel Island
Things to Do
away from the tourist crowd
sea water distillery