The Diplomat Hotel Malta

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Diplomat Hotel Malta

Diplomatic Incident

by TripAdvisor Member fairdos

IF you're on the lookout ( and why not ? the very nature of this site backs up Horace's De gustibus... ) for an hotel oozing mediocrity, look no further. The Diplomat looked really quite promising, on the promenade at Sliema overlooking sea etc., but the reality is a tired wedge-like building with a welcome to match. Admittedly we showed up for our overnight stay an hour before check-in time but reception helpfully filled half of this with a lengthy search for our bookings - I had handed over the Confirmation Vouchers at the outset. The girls in charge wore that bogus air of concern which masks the equally familiar indifference : eventually we were permitted to go to our rooms at the ( very ) thin end of the wedge. Our room was tiny ; our son came off rather better. We had asked for 2 non-smoking rooms - neither was. But at least our windows were intact - behind a curtain drawn firmly across one of our son's windows and held in place by a stray piece of furniture the glass was shattered from top to bottom. This was really rather dangerous and I cannot imagine on what basis the management thinks such a room can be let. When I drew the attention of the desk to the shattered window next day after breakfast ( the usual bunfight in a subterranean apartment deemed fit for purpose ) the girls took solemn note.
I asked an elderly fellow guest, in the lift on our way to freedom, what she thought of the hotel - she replied briskly " Not much - and we're here for week ". I really don't know what we were thinking of, given the proximity of the reliable and accommodating Victoria, also in Sliema, where we stayed last time....

Not worth the price

by TripAdvisor Member SpanishGirlMadrid

Hotels in Malta don't follow the same "standards" as they do in Europe or the US. This hotel is rated as a 4-star but is more like a 2 or 3 star max. (We paid 60 Euros a night which I found too expensive for what the hotel offered and looked like in general).

The good aspects first:
The location is magnificent. There's a pretty view onto the Sliema waterfront and a nice café-bar with friendly waiters. It's within walking distance from St. Julians restaurant/night life area (pleasant 20 min) and Sliema port which also has restaurants and shops. Buses are cheap and stop near the hotel and take you all over the island. (Maltese buses are reliable and efficient yet very old and rundown--a scary experience since the Maltese are careless drivers. Dirving is on the right too! )

The not-so good:
All amenities like the safe box, mini bar, sauna, laundry etc required an additional charge. Breakfast was unappetizing and the coffee absolutely undrinkable. (The café-bar has good cappucinos) Our room's "double bed" consisted of two twin beds pushed together (crack in the middle) and overlapping bed-covers. The tv had no remote and the buttons to change channel on the tv had popped out. The curtains were tacky and bed spreads unwashed (ours smelled of a previous guest's armpit). No shampoo provided, just a dispenser of pink gel. The lobby and halls smell stenchy. The hotel does have what it offers but it's all "barely there" in terms of quality.

Malta is worth visiting but keep in mind it's decrepit in general and
that it's not covered in beaches. The few beaches on the island are TINY and nothing special. Eating out is not cheap either.

Very Good Place to stay : Lovely staff and service

by TripAdvisor Member nimonika

We had a memorable holiday and a very pleasant stay at the hotel. The staff was absolutely lovely and unlike any other hotel staff we have come across so far. These guys do a marvellous job. We have been recommending the hotel to many friends. The location of the hotel is just perfect for a holiday in Malta. We are vegetarians but we had a good selection avaialble at breakfast. The hotel went out of the way to return to us some of our stuff that we had accidentally forgotten in our room. I would recommend this to everyone looking for a good place to stay in Malta on a holiday.

Best Overall Combination

by TripAdvisor Member EMPTC

Malta comes with its own set of standards for accommodation, and its most fascinating attractions are not in its hotels. I have stayed in dozens of hotels there and The Diplomat is at the top of the list for combining seaside location, amenities and value. The facilities are adequate and clean, it's right on the seafront promenade near nightlife and shopping, and yet it remains affordable for tourists. What puts it over the top is the staff. Going far beyond the call of duty, this hotel's people treat a guest-in-need like they would a member of their own family. You can't put a dollar value on that.

Diplomat Hotel - the friendly one

by TripAdvisor Member HappyBunnyEngland

I have been a frequent visitor to Malta for the past 12 years, one could say it is my second home. Unlike many who go to Malta my visits are for business, which has been taking me there for between 5 and 6 times per year and of which the last 10 years I have always stayed at the Diplomat hotel. The hotel provides for an excellent centre for shopping, eating, sightseeing or just sunbathing, there being an excellent sundeck on the roof with a small pool.The accommodation is moderately priced, the rooms being adequately furnished and clean, the seaview rooms having a spectacular view out over the bay and across to the Portomaso complex at St. Julians. I stay in many hotels in different parts of the world and I would challenge any hotel for having such friendly and helpful staff as the Diplomat, staff always willing to go the extra mile for its customers to make them feel welcome and "at home" in the hotel environment, nothing is too much trouble. I now know very many staff there and it is these people that make me feel comfortable and at ease - there's always a smile no matter what. I have read many of the reviews, and yes, if one is truthful, some of the points raised are true, but to me, it is the management and staff who both individually and collectively make the Diplomat the warm, friendly and comfortable place it is.
Keep the good work up "guys".

Friendly place to spend a holiday

by TripAdvisor Member buses

May 2006 was our second visit to this Hotel,we had been in April 2005
We had found it so friendly and a perfect Location.
All the staff were very good and attented to our every need.
The rooms are not posh but clean. Food was very good.
The Location was perfect, as I can't walk too much the Promonade in front off the Hotel with many seats all the way to ST: jULIANS made it easy for me to get about. The bus stops are only a short walk from the Hotel, so you can easily and cheaply look round the island.
We stayed in a room overlooking the sea, and it was nice to stay in a Hotel in such a lovely position but without all the noise you usually get in Hotels on the front.
We enjoyed our Holidays very much, and would reckomend this small friendly Hotel.

Excellent hotel with a good location!

by TripAdvisor Member Sofiane12546

I stayed in this hotel between the 5th of may till the 12th of may on HB basis.From the first day I saw that the staff was realy nice,friendly and also professional!Whatever you want they can help you and they always do it with a smile on their face!So the the staff realy gives you o good service but most important also a good feeling,like you are at home!Also the restaurant staff is realy nice and they have a realy good head chef!
The rooms were realy nice,comfortable,with mini-bar,cable tv,a nice bathroom and all the space you and everything you need for a nice and comfortable stay.The food at the restaurant was also good,in the morning I had a large variety of intercontinental food and there was also a english breakfast,just delicious!
And one advice I would give you is to stay at the Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel if you wanna visit Malta cause will realy feel at home with this staff!
I will definitely go back to this hotel,because of the friendly staff that make your holiday just perfect! Thanks to all of them for what they have done!Just Great!!
It's realy worth it!!!

Just like Family!

by TripAdvisor Member skylarJ

The Diplomat was a wonderful place to stay! We chose the Diplomat because we knew it was a good location and great price. There is a beautiful lobby with a grand piano and walk up bar. They have internet access, 3 bars, a roof top pool(it was the best!), breakfast every morning and many room options. The check- in went smoothly and EVERYONE was very welcoming. The staff treats you like family. Calling you by name soon after you arrive. They are willing to do whatever you need, taxi service, dinner ideas, excursions etc. We had so much fun learning Maltese, each staff member wanted to help us learn! They were always up for conversation and were never too busy to help. We had a BEAUTIFUL ocean view room(worth every penny) and it was always clean. The location is right on the strip and you can walk anywhere from the hotel, not to mention the beach is right outside your window! The bus stops are close by as well as the money exchange stop. We had a great time and I'm sure you would too! If you go, ask for Jesmond, he will take great care of you!!!

What a wonderful place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member RedWiddow

From the very moment we walked into the Diplomat Hotel, we couldn't have dreamed of, or asked for better service.

We received a warm welcome at the reception, and then enjoyed fantastic hospitality from all the staff in the hotel till the end of our holiday.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and felt very looked after, and would always recommend the hotel. After all the drinking and eating, I think I need to go on a diet.

So all in all we had a wonderful holiday, and really enjoyed the stay at the Diplomat Hotel. We would like you to pass on their thanks to Conrad and all the staff for looking after us so warmly, and that we hope to see you all again soon.

Very Hospitable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member emador1

We had a very nice holiday in Malta and a very pleasant stay at the Diplomat Hotel, very clean ,good food and most of all nice staff,we recommend it.
Mrs D. Camilleri

Bus, Sliema, Malta 2010Bus, Sliema, Malta 2010

Three cities tour busThree cities tour bus

Fly CatchersFly Catchers

Ferry from Valetta to SliemaFerry from Valetta to Sliema

howard johnson diplomat hotel, Sliema

by buster4

any comments on this hotel please

Re: howard johnson diplomat hotel, Sliema

by jayhawk2000

I recommend doing a search on www.tripadvisor.com and seeing what other travellers have posted there. A quick glance just now shows a positive rating for the hotel and a very complimentary first hand description.

If you need ideas for places to eat and drink in Sliema have a look at my Malta pages.

Happy trails!

Re: Re: howard johnson diplomat hotel, Sliema

by Incubus30

It s a good hotel (think 4 star) in a very central location in Sliema. It s very close to the beach and also to the promenade where you can enjoy a nice walk. Shops,cafes and restaurants are also very close.

The hotel itself is cosy ,had some friends who visited Malta there some months ago and they did not complain.

Have a nice stay