1 Gorg Borg Olivier Street Sliema SLM12

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Rated 11% higher but also costs 44% more than other 4 star hotels

• Dick33's Profile Photo

Very nice staff.

We had been put in a room overlooking a building site. The holiday company hadn't warned us so we told our rep she was very nice and got us a new room on the front of the hotel. It wasn't the hotels fault it was Malta Direct to blame but they moved us as soon as they could.

Unique Quality: The hotel is central with great views from the roof and the staff were so kind one young man in particular I dont know his name but he had eyebrows like Millhouse off the Simpsons.
    It was a great holiday.

Directions: Near the Imperial.

• A nice hotel

This hotel is in the centre of Sliema residential area, but is close to the sea front in Sliema and St Juliens. It is clean, comfortable and very friendly. The staff is extremely helpful, and cannot do enough to make your stay a nice experience.
    The restaurant is excellent and the food is varied and of good quality, the Dinner was changed every night and we ate there most nights. If you are not on full board they offer a buy two get one free with advanced purchase tickets.
    The roof top pool and Jacuzzi are not suitable for children but are OK for adult. There are good views across to Valetta, and worth getting a room on the top floors.
    The new buildings going up along the sea front have ruined Sliema. But it does have some charm in the back streets. The hotel has a free car park, which is very useful, as parking in Sliema can be a nightmare.
    I have no problem in recommending the Victoria Hotel for a holiday; I would stay there again.

More about The Victoria Hotel

Christmas at teh Victoria Hotel, Sliema

by TripAdvisor Member TessieSligo

Just back from spending Christmas at the Victoria Hotel which we enjoyed very much. The hotel is good but I would not rate the room we stayed in as a Four Star - it was clean and comfortable but quite basic and quite old fashioned. One crib in particular regarding Television - the only English channel was CNN and if you wanted BBC it cost about €3.70 per day which I thought was a Rip Off. The food was very good, we booked the Christmas Eve and Christmas day specials and the food each time was excellent. Breakfast was a buffet and you could not complain about anything on it. Martin the bar man is a really good advertisement for the hotel, very friendly and helpful and made you feel really welcome - not just a guest. Overall the hotel is very comfortable but very quiet - maybe a little too quiet but I would have no hesitation in recommending it taking all the above into consideration.

Maltese Charm

by TripAdvisor Member Guto

We chose this hotel from reviews posted here. Driving to the hotel from the airport was difficult with much traffic, little signposting and a lot of roadworks. The hotel is well appointed and all the staff friendly and professional. The swimming-pool, bar and views from the top floor are impressive. There are building works nearby but the noise finishes fairly early. There is underground secure parking. Rooms were well decorated, very clean and spacious. We had a nice continental breakfast delivered to our room on time. Checkout was fast and efficient. Staff gave useful advice aboiut the next stage of our trip. The hotel has its own restaurant but is only a 10 minute walk from the sea and a selection of inexpensive restaurants. We recommend this hotel and would use it again.

IMPRESSED

by TripAdvisor Member Hiebes

We stayed at The Victoria Hotel and were impressed.

The Hotel is lovely - we had a clean, spacious room and bathroom.

The food was delicious - we didn't have one meal that could be criticised. The food was plentiful and the menus varied. Meat, for instance, was cooked to perfection and we never felt like we were being fed second rate, mass catered food.

The Staff were efficient, polite and helpful.

If you want a good view, ask for a room on the 7th Floor - but if on holiday how often are you going to be in your room admiring views. If you are looking for hustle, bustle and entertainment, this Hotel is not for you.

I would describe this Hotel as peaceful, which is exactly what we were looking for. If we wanted entertainment we were happy to walk somewhere else for it and retreat back to this calm environment when we'd had enough.

The only complaint I had was the lack of a UK News Channel - I did point this out to the Staff at the hotel, who seemed to think CNN would suffice. I explained that CNN do not report worldwide news unless it involves America and suggested they consider Sky News.

We will definitely stay at The Victoria again next year.

Great value with excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member SmallBoatCruiser

This hotel was an excellent base for a 6-day stay in Malta. My room, on the 4th floor, had a tiny balcony with a just-visible view of the water to the north of the island. Service was excellent--helpful, friendly but professional staff. Room was clean, well-maintained each day, with two twin beds. I stayed as a single. The hotel is a short walk to either of two waterfronts--one to the left as you exit the front door and the other to the right. To the left a short walk, down a hill, brings you to the Sliema ferry section of the waterfront. I was on the breakfast included plan--buffet was extensive with good choices. I took a couple of tours during the 6 days and pick up was arranged (included in the price) at the hotel. The hotel restaurant also serves dinner--I ate there one night. Although the buffet offered a good variety, I thought it a little over-priced for a buffet. There is a small pool, with snack bar on the 7th floor--with nice views.

Great staff but everything is extra

by TripAdvisor Member Toronto39

We stayed at the Victoria for a week in October. The public areas are lovely & the staff exceptional. The location is good but a tiring uphill walk at the end of the day if you are not young and/or fit. The airconditioning was not working in the first room we were assigned. They worked on this for three days until we insisted we be moved. The breakfast buffet was good. We had dinner a couple of nights but found the buffet a little unexceptional (cost US$24). We had two big complaints. The TV only had CNN in English. All other English channels or the movie stations were pay stations & cost US$12. In Gozo we had a hotel with several free English language stations. Our second complaint is that we asked the hotel to arrange a taxi as there is no way to hail a taxi in Malta. For a taxi from the hotel to the Gozo ferry the hotel charged an extra US$9 over the normal fare. They do not tell you this but we discovered this when speaking with drivers. Sure enough, any other time we checked fares the hotel always quoted an extra 15 to 25%. Once we discovered this we just called a local taxi service on 216-83819. Roger came to pick us up. He speaks English, quotes the right fares & is dependable. Final note - one week in Malta is plenty. We spent two weeks total and ran out of things to do.

Loved the hotel pity about Malta

by TripAdvisor Member katie55

I stayed at this hotel for a week with my husband.We found it excellent,the rooms were clean ,spacious and bright.The lobby and bar area are also very clean with tastefull decor. The staff were friendly helpful and pleasant.The food was in my opinion well above average for a 4 star hotel,the menue was varied and the food was cooked to perfection. As for the deserts well what can I say they were delicious and plentful, not the usual tinned fruit and stale cake normally served. I have would certainly stay at the Victoria again if I were to return to Malta which quite frankly I doubt very much. The hotel I would certainly give a 10 out of 10 Sadly Malta itself does not get my vote of places to re visit ,once was more than enough,but don't let this deter you go and make up your own mind. As several people have said to me you either love or hate Malta .For me it is the latter.

Great Hotel, wrong location

by TripAdvisor Member wilburCheshire

We have just returned from Christmas /New Year in Malta staying at the Victoria in Sliema,having chosen this hotel following reviews on Trip Advisor.I can honestly say that we were not dissapointed with the Hotel ,the rooms were spacious and clean ,apart from the slightly stained carpets. The Hotel staff were fantastic especially the bar staff who had a great sense of humour and the front desk who were particularly helpful.We found the food to be top quality and there was plenty of choice at breakfast with hot/cold and continental available.There was also plenty of choice for meals in the evening from Buffet to a la Carte or bar snacks.My only critiscism of the hotel is the lack of decent television channels with only CNN in English, which they are fully aware of and the fact that you have to pay extra for things that we feel should be free, especially BBC which is free to the island and the renting of the in room safe at 3 lm/week.
As for Malta well I am glad we went but we probably wouldn't go again ,the people are extremely friendly but Sliema has been ruined by the constant building work .Some places are very shabby and you are constantly trying to avoid rubbish, rubble and dog poo, which is a pity because some parts of Malta are quite beautiful such as Mdina, Gozo and parts of Valetta.
If you are thinking of Malta at Christmas it is a great time to go and the Maltese do celebrate it as we do but more religiously but we did feel outnumbered by the amount of Brits over 60 and it did feel a bit like Turkey and tinsel in the sun.
Sue & Daz Cheshire

Good Hotel; Friendly and Efficient Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Waggo99

I spent 3 nights at the Victoria Hotel in early February 2007. How nice to see the sun so soon into the New Year! I cannot fault the hotel. We got a great price by booking through Octopus travel and the hotel proved good value for money.

Bedrooms were huge and exceptionally clean. Staff were friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. There is rather a lot of building work going on nearby and it was noisey from 7am each morning {weekends included), but this was the only downside.

We struggled to work out the position of the hotel. It apeears to be at the top of a hill with Tower Road on one side and The Strand on the other - it did take us the best part of the holiday to get our bearings.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

For anyone travelling to Malta, Mdina is a must!

Comments