Mariblu Hotel

Mariblu, Mgarr Road, Xewkija, VCT 111, Malta
Mariblu Hotel
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

86%

Satisfaction Very Good
Excellent
43%
10
Very Good
39%
9
Average
4%
1
Poor
8%
2
Terrible
4%
1

N/A

Value Score No Data

Show Prices

Good For Solo
  • Families87
  • Couples71
  • Solo100
  • Business0

More about Xewkija

Photos

Information board at the entranceInformation board at the entrance

The RotundaThe Rotunda

Inside the RotundaInside the Rotunda

The RotundaThe Rotunda

Travel Tips for Xewkija

Xewkija's Rotunda in figures

by Diana75

Rotunda inside: 64m long, 43m wide

Dome's internal diameter: 24.5m

Dome's external diameter: 27m

Dome height: 75m

Dome weight: 45,000 tons

Columns height: 13.5

Main door: 10m high, 4.8m wide, weights 6 tons.

Information about the Rotunda

by Diana75

At the entrance to the Rotunda is an information board with details about the impressive works to the church, its items of interest, the history and most important aspects.

Books and souvenirs can be bought from the museum.

The sacristy

by Diana75

The entrance to the modern sacristy is located on the right side of the Main Altar.

Its item of interest is the collection of the portraits of most of the parish priests since 1678 when the village became parish.

Xewkija's Rotunda

by Diana75

Located half way from the Mgarr Harbour to the capital town of Victoria, Xewkija is considered the oldest village in Gozo.

The village became the first parish outside Victoria on the 27th November 1678 by Bishop Molina.

The word Xewkija is derived from Arabic meaning an area of vast fields full of thorns which characterized the region in the past.

The first parish church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected and consecrated in 1755.

After the 2nd World War, with the growth of the population, there was the need for a larger church. The architect Joseph D'Amato, inspired by the famous Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute in Venice, drew the plans of the new church and the first stone was laid down in 1951.

Today, the majestic Rotunda, dedicated to St John The Baptist, is Xewkija's distinctive landmark and parish church.

Xewkija

by edinka

Xewkija is dominated by the Rotunda parish church, dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. The old chapel was rebuilt at least twice. The new church was built around the former church, itself raised on the site of a still older church. The community was, until the middle of the twentieth century, made primarily of farmers and fishermen. They had made all sort of sacrifices to build the earlier churches. The dome, 75 metres high, with a diameter of 27 metres, and a circumference of 85 metres, is one of the largest in Europe. Its total weight is calculated to be around 45,000 tonnes.

Comments

Popular Hotels in Xewkija

Mariblu Hotel

Mariblu, Mgarr Road, Xewkija

Show Prices

Ta' Gittu II Farmhouse

St Dominic Street, Xewkija

Show Prices

View all Xewkija hotels

View all Xewkija hotels

Latest Xewkija hotel reviews

Ta' Gittu II Farmhouse
1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Aug 24, 2013