Graaf Bernstorff

Hotel Graaf Bernstorff
Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Schiermonnikoog

Just outside the village.Just outside the village.

How to use the bikeHow to use the bike

If you get lost just look for the lighthouse.If you get lost just look for the lighthouse.

A car won't get you far.A car won't get you far.

Verkeer op Schiermonnikoog

by Kiewie

Voor een onderzoek van Wageningen Universiteit ben ik op zoek naar ervaringen van toeristen en recreanten met betrekking tot het verkeer (en de overlast hiervan) op Schiermonnikoog. Het gaat dan om auto's, bussen, taxi's en fietsers en wandelaars. Zou u kunnen laten weten of u het te druk / te vol vindt op de weg en in het dorp? Alvast bedankt voor uw hulp aan dit onderzoek.

Re: Verkeer op Schiermonnikoog

by Mique

Wat wil je precies weten. Zoals je het nu stelt, kan ik alleen maar zeggen.. Heb er zelf nog nooit overlast van gehad.. Vooral omdat er eigenlijk geen verkeer is behalve die paar auto's van de eilandbewoners zelf..

Re: Re: Verkeer op Schiermonnikoog

by pieter_jan_v

Send an email (in Enghlish) to the VT-members who have visit the island, see http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/s/?m=2&t.l=6fbe4

You can skip Mique

PJ

Re: Re: Verkeer op Schiermonnikoog

by Mique

Yep, you can skip me. I would do so too .. :-)

Still thinking about chocolate PJ. And who'sto blame for that.. ?!

Travel Tips for Schiermonnikoog

Wassermann bunker

by nighthawk

It was quite cold and windy because of the time of year.
This is about the highest point of the island and on a clear day you can see the main land of the netherlands.

Proof of the fights that were fought here during WW II.

Warm clothes and rain gear

by nighthawk

Be aware you gotta carry your luggage on and off the boat and then into a bus which will bring you to the village. So do not overpack! Boots, rain coat, warm sweater, no matter what the season. And of course some decent walking shoes :-) Just bring the things you use at home, if needed most stuff you might need extra, are available at the island. Ah, the usual : lots of filmrolls or some compact cards for your digital. And bring an umbrella, in case it rains ;-) If you want to act a Dutchie, bring your own food like potatoes, coffee and tea. ;-)

A beautiful island

by sim1

I love this island and I tried to capture the atmosphere of the island with this photo. It has now become one of my favourites, proudly hanging on my wall, always bringing me in a wonderful vacation mood when I look at it. The main part of the island is natural landscape : dunes, beaches, woods and also shallows and a polder. On the rest of this page I'll show you a bit more of all that.

The thing I love about this island, is that there are no cars allowed. The only ones that are allowed to use a cars are the island residents. So in fact it means no traffic at all on the island, except for the bicycles. It's really a paradise for people that love to make a relaxing bicycle trip or enjoy hiking.

The woods

by sim1

The woods are an area not to be missed on your bicycle trip, as they make a lovely change to the dunes. The woods were not originally in this area, but are relatively new. These conferous woods were planted around 1920 by the Count of Bernstorff. The trees grow poorly on the island though, due to the hard wind and salty sea, so they never lived up to their expectations and economical use. It's a lovely area now though, very popular among an increasing number of forest birds on the island.

The sound of the seagull

by sim1

Seeing the pheasant was fun, but the one bird I remember best of all is the seagull and especially its sound. Yes, I know, this sounds crazy, a seagull doesn't sing so particularly well and it makes a sound that could be very well described as screeking. The high pitched noise carries far and long and isn't easy on the ears....

But for me it is like music to my ears: I associate this sound with the coastal area of The Netherlands and most of all I think about my trip to Schiermonnikoog: memories of a walk on the beach, taking the ferry, bicycling through the dunes, the fresh seabreeze blowing in my face, salty air of the sea, a moment of relaxation, of being away from it all pop into my mind. And every time I see this photo, I hear the seagull in my head and I am there.... for just a few seconds, back on Schiermonnikoog, with my love Åke and my family. Beautiful memories of a wonderful times.

Comments