The "Veluwe" railway, a royal enterprise
In summer of 1887 the railway between Apeldoorn and Dieren was opened officially by king Willem III of Orange, living in Apeldoorn himself. Though the rest of the country far more intresting to built railways, this line was officially built to stimulate the paper-industry that was locally already growing, but also had the nickname to be the personal playing train of the king himself. The name of this line was "Koninklijke Nederlandsche Locaal Spoorweg Maatschappij", (Royal Dutch Local Railway Society). Local's simply called it the "Willem III". The railconnection between Apeldoorn and Dieren (from where transports could be taken over by boats on the river IJssel) was 22 kilometers long and already abondened transport of persons in 1947. Last freight was roling over the rails in 1984.