Hampshire Hotel Avenarius

Dorpsstraat 2, Winterswijk, 7261, The Netherlands
Hampshire Hotel - Avenarius
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Winterswijk

Cozyness with how-to build a hornCozyness with how-to build a horn

Start of the Komiezenpad, St. Vitus stoneStart of the Komiezenpad, St. Vitus stone

In the living roomIn the living room

Garden at the backGarden at the back

Travel Tips for Winterswijk

Glorious Dutch Food

by mary2u99

Staying with friend does have its reward. You get to eat real local Dutch food. Actually I requested that I only want Dutch food so my host cook them especially for me. I do feel very lucky. The best host and wonderful food. What more can a girl ask for?

Winter wonderland

by mary2u99

Can you imagine it snowed after I left this town well like two week after I left it snowed and as you can see from the photos not that much either.

What is there to do in this winter wonderland, stand outside the balcony and take this photo.hahaha

Sinterklaas

by mary2u99

In Netherlands the feast of "Sinterklaas" or "Saint Nicolas" is celebrated on 5 December. He was a bishop who lived some centuries ago. He saved three children and was made a saint for his goodness. , "Sinterklaas" on his horse and his helper "zwarte piet" go over the rooftops to the houses to bring gifts for the children who have been good.

During the weeks before the feast children put their shoe by the fireplace put a letter or a drawing for Sinterklaas or some carrots for his horse they also sing some Sinterklaas songs and the next morning they find some candy in their shoe.

The traditional things to eat and drink with Sinterklaas are chocolate initials, pepernoten. Speculaas, a kind of cookie only bigger made with cinnamon and clove.

It is also traditions to drink: Bishops wine(Red wine with sugar, cinnamon and clove). You can also drink it hot.

We went to pick Sinterklaas at the train station late November with all the kids it was a really nice experience to see all the kids with their costume and face paints. I must say I do feel like a kid too then.

Winterswijk

"Winterswijk"

This is the first time that I travel to this part of The Netherlands. From Schiphol to Winterswijk West. (Cost Euro21.70 for second class single ticket)

My friend was like, I hope you get on the right train and call me if you get lost. Of course the journey was not on one train but I have to change 3 trains to get here and I did. I am glad to see my friend was waiting for me at the station.

"Winterswijk"

Surprisingly for a small town they have 2 train stations one is called Winterswijk West and the other Winterswijk Centrum.

Maybe it's not really a small town after all but most places are walking distance from my friend's apartment like the market place, pubs, restaurants, town centre and supermarkets all within 10 minutes walk.

This is the town that produces famous composer and conductor Willem van Otterloo which was born in Winterswijk in 1907; contemporary poet and writer Gerrit Komrij in 1944.

I really love the weather here well for November it was very nice and warm and the only time we had bad weather and storm was in January and it got a bit colder too around 7C in the daytime but of course I did not get my White Christmas or white New Year.

The fireworks in this town during the eve of New Year is very beautiful and we were so excited to see which neighbour can match or beats the other with their fireworks display.

Comments