Golden Tulip Drenthe

More about Groningen

First Class 6 seat compartmentFirst Class 6 seat compartment

Dinner at 22.35Dinner at 22.35

View of Grote MarktView of Grote Markt

Station, Groningen, Provincie Groningen, NL 2004Station, Groningen, Provincie Groningen, NL 2004

Groningen Old Hospital

by marek123

I am interested in examples of revitalization of old buildings. Found short info on old hospital in Groningen, replaced (?) in its function by the new building next door. What happens with the old one? What institutions are located there nowadays? What activities?
Thx,
Marek

Re: Groningen Old Hospital

by pieter_jan_v

I found this at the Dutch wikipedia:

The building now is a housing for 250 people living there and also prociding some work spaces )small businesses).

PJ

Travel Tips for Groningen

Welcome to Groningen! :-)

by sim1

Everyone knows where Amsterdam is in The Netherlands. But did you ever heard of Groningen?? It might be a 'bit out of the way' being all the way up in the north, and not that so well known. But it is a wonderful city and absolutely worth a visit. I just love this place! And I know you won't regret making a detour to stroll around yourself in Groningen. So come visit!!!

For me visiting Groningen is a visit back in time! This is where I used to live as a little child, went daily to when I studied, and still visit whenever I do get the chance. My latest visit was in April 2005 on a beautiful spring day. I loved this day! Strolling around the city in the sun, watching all the historical buildings, seeing all those familiar places again....... and...... doing some shopping! Hahaha, not that I like shopping, but this was an exception :-) I went out to buy some really Dutch goodies to take home with me to Sweden :-) Delicious!

Ready to join me on a walk through Groningen..... than follow me..... here we goooo.....

It's easy to find your way in...

by sandravdp

It's easy to find your way in this city. The heart of the city is at the main square 'De Groote Markt'. From here most busses come and go and you can walk your way into the shoppingstreets and monuments. Also nightlife is represented around here.

Thinking of Monopoly

by tompt

The famous boardgame monopoly has its own dutch version with dutch cities and streets. Groningen is one of the cities on the board. Many times, years and years ago, we bought streets like Grote Markt, Heerestraat and A-kerkhof. And now we have seen this styreets in real life...... Would we ever buy them? In the game maybe, but not at the realestate office.

The Grote Markt, is the main square and the highest point in Groningen (6m above sealevel), it is the place for nightlife.
The Heerestraat is also in the citycentre, it is a shoppingstreet.
And finally the illusive A-kerkhof (A-graveyard), always wondered what it was when we were young. And now it turned out to be the street surrounding the A-church.
Kerkhof means graveyard, but taken apart it is church (kerk) and garden (hof).

The city of Groningen is a...

by Routeman

The city of Groningen is a city with many faces. It's the heart of the Province ( also called Groningen ). There are 160 café's and restaurants, 15 cinema's, 7 theatres, a casino and a musiccentre.The population is about 172.000.

Smiling forever....

by sim1

This is a picture of artwork in front of the Groninger museum. On top is a smiling face..... this one is "really" forever smiling! (see my motto) How could I not love this :-))) Hahaha, it makes me smile every time I see it! :-)

Comments