Hotel Roermond

Hotel Roermond
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Next to train station, large room, good breakfast

Prior to my trip, I made arrangements through hoteliers.com to stay for one night at the Hotel Roermond. One good thing about hoteliers.com, as opposed to some other services like Expedia, is that you don't have to pay the fee in advance. Instead, you pay the fee directly to the hotel at the time of your stay. Also, you have the flexibility to change or cancel your reservation up to 24 hours before your arrival.

Travelling to the the Hotel Roermond by train is the ultimate in convenience. You see the hotel as soon as you exit the central train station. In fact, you don't even have to cross a street to get to it!

There is a restaurant called The Dinner Inn that is connected to the hotel. In fact, the front desk of the hotel is in the restaurant.

I arrived before the check-in time. A hotel staff member graciously allowed me to leave my bags with them until my room was ready. When I checked-in, the hotel charged me in full. I thought this payment-in-advance procedure was odd.

Another odd feature was my wake-up call. Instead of receiving a call on the telephone, I received a knock on my door!

Even with these oddities, I was quite pleased overall with the hotel. My room that was located further down the street through a separate entrance. Whoever said hotel rooms in Europe are small has not paid a visit to the Hotel Roermond! Even though I booked a single room (the smallest that they offer), my room here was by far the biggest on my trip. In addition to the standard bedroom, I had a separate living room with a couch and chairs -- a fully-equipped kitchen -- and the bathroom was very large. For my purposes as a tourist, these furnishings were more than needed. However, for someone else who may be looking for extended stay lodging, the kitchen and living room may be a big plus.

One negative about the room, though, was that there was no in-room safe. Since the hotel is in a high traffic area near the central train station, I had concerns about the safety of my valuables. One recommendation that I would have for the hotel is that they install combination safes in each room.

The breakfast buffet, which was included in the price, was excellent. There was a great selection of hot and cold food.

Unique Quality: Right next to the central train station

Large furnishings, including living room and fully-equipped kitchen.

Breakfast included.

Negative: No in-room safe

Directions: Next to central train station

More about Hotel Roermond

Visit the Stationsplein

by BillNJ

The Stationsplein (station square) is across the street from the central train station and my hotel (Hotel Roermond). Surrounding the square, there are a bunch of cafés and pubs. On the Monday that I was there in May 2008, the city of Roermond was turned into a fairgrounds -- and, by nighttime, the Stationsplein was full of rides and other amusements.

Christoffel Bier

by BillNJ

Christoffel Bier is brewed in Roermond. There are two main varieties, Christoffel Blond and Christoffel Robertus. Christoffel is a relatively young brewery, founded in 1986. Christoffel brews according to the German “Reinheitsgebot von 1516”, which means the brewing process takes place in a completely natural way. Around the year 1990, Christoffel Blond was awarded the title of “Best Beer from the Netherlands” for three years in a row.

While I'm sure that many places in Roermond serve this fine beer, the bar at the Dinner Inn connected with my hotel (Hotel Roermond) did not. Fortunately, I was able to try Christoffel Blond later in the week at a pub in Maastricht. The beer has a full body, a very balanced taste and a beautiful bitterness due to a generous addition of fresh hops during the brewing process. Highly recommended!

Lovely Small City in Central Limburg

by BillNJ

"Where the Roer Meets the Maas"

The German VTers that I met on my trip knew of Roermond only as the site of the large McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Center. I hope that my VT page helps to show that Roermond has more to offer a tourist than simply this popular outlet shopping center.

Roermond is located in the middle of the Province of Limburg where the Roer River meets the Maas River (aka the Meuse River). The Roermond city center has a pedestrian zone with shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, churches, and other attractions. The most picturesque area of the city center is the Munsterplein in which you will find the magnificent Munsterkerk (Munster Church) that was re-designed by the famous architect, P.J.H. Cuypers. In the Munsterplein, there is also a statue of Cuypers who was born in Roermond.

It only takes a couple of hours to see the major attractions in the Roermond city center. After doing so, you can then walk through the short pedestrian tunnel to the McArthur Glen Designer Outlets where you will find top brand-name merchandise at discounted prices.

"Easy to Access By Train"

One of the main reasons that I chose to spend a day in the small city of Roermond is that it is very easy to access by train. I traveled to Roermond from Düsseldorf with a brief stopover in Venlo. If you immediately get on the connecting train in Venlo, the entire trip takes approximately an hour. Then, if you are staying in the Hotel Roermond (like I did), you only have a very short walk to your room. In fact, the walk is less than one block -- and you don't even have to cross the street!

When I left Roermond, I took a train directly to Maastricht which takes approximately 40 minutes. From Maastricht, it is only about 30 minutes to Liège, Belgium. In Liège, you can get a train going east to Brussels -- or west to Cologne.

"Relaxed Atmosphere"

The small city of Roermond has a relaxed atmosphere. If you are seeking a fast-paced city with lots of famous tourist attractions, you probably want to head north to Amsterdam. However, if you want to experience a lovely small city in the south of the Netherlands without a lot of tourists, Roermond is a good place to check out.

Has anyone stayed at Hotel De La Station?

by theizness

Hi, it's hard to find out info about this hotel online. But the location and price is very convenient. Does anyone know anything about it? Mostly I'd like to know if it's clean and if still exists because it's not on any of the hotel booking sites.

Hotel De La Station
Stationsplein 9, Roermond

Thanks!

by pieter_jan_v

I cannot find "De La Station"in the phonebook.

These accommodations are recommended by the local tourist organistation:

or

PJ

by ATLC

If you google 'Roermond Hotel de la Station', then you find that Hotel de la Station is the name of the company that owns the hotel you mention. Its actual name is Hotel Roermond.

Hotel Roermond: www.hotelroermond.nl and also via various hotel booking sites.
Looks like a good find! :-)

by theizness

^^Thanks! That explains it.

by BillNJ

In May, I stayed there (Hotel Roermond) for one night. I have posted a tip about this hotel on my Roermond page. Cheers from New Jersey, Bill

Comments