Hotel Puur

Local Soccer ClubLocal Soccer Club

Venlo to Veldhoven

by Zuzan

Hola,
is there somebody who could advice me how to get the easiest and cheapiest way from Venlo to Veldhoven? Is there a direct bus connection. Some bus weblinks.
Thanks a lot Zuzan

by pieter_jan_v

There's one website that covers all means of Dutch public transportation in English:

PJ

by catnl

you can take a train from venlo to eindhoven and at the busstation get a bus to veldhoven.
there are several buslines to veldhoven, depends which part you want to visit
you can email me the address if you want and i can give the linebumber of the bus
greets carin

by Zuzan

Thanks a lot Carin,
we are staying there at the Koningshof hotel.
Hope it is not far from city centre or some shops.
Cheers Zuzan

by pieter_jan_v

There are several busses going from the Eindhoven station to the Koningshof bus stop close (1 minute walking) to the Hotel:

-Hermus local bus #15 to Koningshof/Veldhoven
-Hermus bus 149 to Reusel
-Hermus bus 150 to Reusel

PJ

by catnl

JP is right, all 3 lines stop at Koningshof and takes about 15 min from station to koningshof
if you have any more questions you can always email me now or when you are at veldhoven
greets carin

Travel Tips for Venlo

Carnaval...

by Dutch1980

Every Year we have Carnaval, its an old Catholic event... but nowadays it's just a good time to drink beer...

3 to 4 days of party and drinking beer and everyone is in a costume or just funny dressed.

Every Saturday before Carnaval there is a event in Venlo called the Boetegewoene Boetezitting... many carnaval bands play local music and everybody is in a happy mood ( and drunk)

Carnaval is in Februari or March it's differend every year... but when you are in town its a lot of fun.

Carnaval is celebrated the best in the Provence Limburg and Noord Brabant...

I Think for toerist Carnaval is better in the big Cities of South Netherlands.
Provence Limburg: Venlo, Roermond or Maastricht
Provence Noord Brabant : Eindhoven, Den Bosch, Tilburg, Breda or Roosendaal.

If you are in the Netherlands in Februari just send me a notice and I can tell you when Carnaval is celibrated that year.

Just one (wet) overnight stay

by bonio

"Bonio in Venlo"

Heading for Eindhoven airport and home we stayed overnight in Venlo. On the border betwen Netherlands and Germany, we felt more in Germany...many signs and information given in German first.
A combination we enjoyed and wished we could stay longer, a lovely B & B to recommend, somewhere good to eat but unfotunately most of our time was spent avoiding heavy rain downpours and one memorable thunderstorm.
I think we will be back.

Venlo

by OlafS

"Short history"

Venlo's history started in Roman times, when it was a centre of trade, the importance of which grew in the Carolingian period. In 1343 the place was chartered by the duke of Gelre, to which the town belonged for the next few centuries. In 1481 Venlo joined the Hanseatic League. In the 16th and 17th century the town was of strategic importance. Occassionally both Spain and the Republic were forced to leave the town to their opponents. In 1715 Venlo became part of the Republic permanently. Until 1867 the town remained a fortress. In the final months of World War Two the old centre was largely destroyed. Soon after the war reconstruction and restoration began. Today Venlo is the most important city of the northern part of Limburg.

"My day in Venlo"

It was a beautiful day in December 2002. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and as I had been so bored the day before I decided to go to Venlo to make some missing pictures for my website. Unfortunately it was also an extremely cold day. As it was a Monday most shops didn't open until the afternoon, and the streets were mostly empty. Perhaps for the better; I've heard that on warmer days the city is crowded with Germans who come to shop for bargains (bargains? In The Netherlands?) and buy some crappy "Holland" souvenirs. But the lack of people must also have added to the cold feel of the place. Empty streets often are windy streets.
I had to wear gloves all day, even when I wanted to take pictures, and that wasn't easy. Whenever I tried to clean the lense of my camera my handkerchief almost froze to it. As I had never been in Venlo before I occassionally had to check a map to find my way. Not easy wearing gloves! Eventually, after I had made the most needed pictures, I went back to the station, abandoning my plan to see one or two places in the neighbourhood as well. Perhaps I will return one day. It's not a spectacular place, but it has some very nice spots. It's nice to see that rebuilding after the war was mostly done in good taste. Nijmegen could have been like this, for instance. There even was some quality modern architecture, but of course I didn't think about making pictures of that until I was back home again.

Comments