Familie hotel Alkmaar

More about Alkmaar

KorenschoofKorenschoof

Cheese MarketCheese Market

Canal tourCanal tour

Canal tour, under the bridgeCanal tour, under the bridge

Alkmaar B&B question

by wompbomp

We hope to visit Alkmaar next May; we plan to stay 3 or 4 nights. Is anyone familiar with Pension Onassis? They seem to be centrally located, and offer a room with private bath for 70 euros per night. Other accommodations with private bath seem to be considerable more. We are open to suggestions. We prefer to keep our lodging costs down so we can visit Europe more often and stay longer! Thanks for your help.

by pieter_jan_v

I found 3 others at http://www.fijnopreis.nl/

Select Noord-Holland on the map and thereafter Alkmaar from the list of cities.

Daalmeereiland / Rolf Piening
Daalmeereiland 1
1827 KX Alkmaar (Noord Holland)
Tel: 072-5648809
Email: rolfpiening@hetnet.nl
Website: www.daalmeereiland.nl

I. Margaretha
Kanaaldijk 186-187
1831 BC Alkmaar (Noord Holland)
Tel: 072-5613989
Fax: 072-5645102
Rooms/beds: 18 / 40
Price pppn (vanaf): € 22.70

Wil van der Kleij-Slootmaker
Luttik Oudorp 87
1811 MV Alkmaar (Noord Holland)
Tel: 072 5156141
Email: wilkleij@planet.nl
Rooms/beds: 2 / 4
Price pppn (vanaf): € 35.00

70 euros per night for a couple seems to be the average price for that town.

PJ

by ATLC

I know Alkmaar very well and I've checked the location. It's about 12 minute walk to the famous cheese market (note: the traditional cheesemarket is only on Friday morning in summer season. You need to be there early to be able to see anything!).

The website says 3 minute walk and although you are close to the town center (walkable), and the walk is very agreable since it is a very nice town, it's closer to 10-12 minutes walk.

I don't know all the B&B's, I do know all the hotels from the inside.
Anyway, maybe my Alkmaar page is useful to you:

by wompbomp

Thanks, pieter jan v and ATLC. Your answers are very helpful. We are looking forward to our visit.

Travel Tips for Alkmaar

Canals

by toonsarah

In the centre of Alkmaar are a number of small canals lined with little shops, bars and restaurants. This makes a good spot for photos – look for interesting reflections or capture the gentle pace of life here from one of the bridges. As in other Dutch towns and cities you can do a boat tour on the canal, which takes about an hour and leaves from near the Waagplein, the main market square. Unfortunately though we didn’t have time for this and had to make do with a short stroll on the banks.

Town Hall

by ATLC

My Town Hall tips should in fact also be in the Off the beaten path section, but there are already so many there about the water tower. We visited the town hall and saw it inside. Here's the exterior of the town hall.

De Apres Ski Bar

by penumbra

Well it made me smile. The western half of The Netherlands is almost completely flat and yet here was a bar for skiers. Cross country skiers? Water skiers perhaps? Anytime I’d heard of someone from the Netherlands going skiing, it was usually in the Alps. Surely a skier could find a bar closer to the ski hill. But the name of the bar caught my attention, so maybe the name wasn’t so silly after all. On Houttil, in the center of town conveniently close to the National Beer Museum.

maestro music!!

by Igraine

Every day you will find one of these street organs playing music ranging from dutch classis like "tulips from Amsterdam" to modern songs like "the ketchup song (asereje). The owner invites you to toss a coin in his little copper box for maintainence of his organ and for buying new music.

A day trip from Amsterdam

Alkmaar again:
A train return trip is € 12,10.
At the tourist office in Alkmaar, a city map is free.
The cheese market on Fridays is free.
A canal tour is (if I remember correctly) about 7 euro.
You can eat lunch for an average of 10-15 euro per person including a drink and a coffee.
The Cheese museum is € 3.
So all in all, a DIY day tour sets you back about € 35 per person.

Comments