Hotel Stad En Land

Satisfaction Poor

More about Alkmaar

Cheese MarketCheese Market

Cheese MarketCheese Market

Houses along the canalHouses along the canal

Mill De Groot / Piet's MillMill De Groot / Piet's Mill

Schiphol Airport to Alkmaar Cheese Market

by bbcrayon

I will be arriving Netherlands, Schiphol Airport on 24 Apr 09, Friday at 7am. I would like to visit the Alkmaar Cheese Market on the same day right after I arrive. I have the following questions, will be much appreciate if someone can advise:

1).I'm not sure how fast the Netherlands immigration office process will take. However, if I take a train leaving airport at 8am, do you think it's possible to arrive at the Cheese Market before 9:30am?

2). Where can I find the train schedule from Schiphol Airport to Alkmaar? How frequent is the train?

3). As I will have my baggage with me, should I leave the luggage at the locker at Alkmaar station? Do they have a locker for 25" baggage? How much will be the locker rental?

4). From the Alkmaar train station, how can I get to the Cheese Market? Is it within walking distance?

Many thanks!

by K_V_B

1) Schiphol - Alkmaar is less than an hour, and there are four trains per hour. Getting to Alkmaar always involves a change, but the planner on the NS website gives you platform numbers, and stations are easy to navigate so don't worry.
2) see www.ns.nl
3) The Netherlands is metric. Luggage lockers are available at Alkmaar, the small ones measure 90x45x40 cm and the big ones 90x60x40 cm

by Pijlmans

See this site for public transport: http://www.9292ov.nl/9292ov1.asp

You can buy train tickets from the machines at Schiphol.

I think the cheesemarket is from 10.00-12.30 so you'll be on time.

Cheers
Dennis

by pieter_jan_v

4) Yes, it's within walking distance (There will be signs at the station).

PJ

Travel Tips for Alkmaar

Straatorgel

by penumbra

Walking down a shopping street in the Netherlands can whisk you back in time with more than just the scenery. On this day I ran across a street organ that was almost 100 years old called De Barometer. This grandfather of MP3 players, belted out popular tunes from the past, while its owner kept time to the music with a cooper coin box, entreating contributions to the maintenance of this fading Dutch tradition.

Alkmaar

by tini58de

Alkmaar is a small and pretty city in North Holland, not far from the sea, famous for its cheese and its history: it dates back to 1254, when it was granted city rights. There is still so much old architecture and also such a lively atmosphere that I would highly recommend it for everybody who travels in this region. It is an ideal starting point to visit places in the area, because distances really are not big! So: enjoy!! Standing in the first row to watch the cheese market, finally finding some sun lotion to soothe my sunburn and just the more relaxed atmosphere in this cozy little town!

The blackamoor house

by nighthawk

Patrician house, built in about 1730, by charge of Jan van Schagen, mayor.
The blackamoor house got his name from the inn that first stood at this spot.
The initials of the mayor and his wife, Cornelia Craft, decorate the door panels.

Shoes and Brollies.

by crazygal59

Always wear comfy shoes. Make sure they are shoes you have broken in before or you will suffer for sure. The cobbles on the streets make it next to impossible to walk with shoes with a heel. Also make sure your shoes have a good cushion in the sole, otherwise your feet will suffer. Trust me....I know! If your camera takes batteries, buy plenty before you leave home. Since the euro,everything is more expensive, especially things like batteries. Always carry a small umbrella or plastic raincoat,even if it's a sunny day. The weather can change on a dime and you could be soaked.

Canal Tour

by penumbra

The first time I visited Alkmaar, I went with some friends and we decided to take the canal tour. The boat is a bit smaller than the boats in Amsterdam and doesn’t have a canopy, but that just lets you get that much closer to the town during the tour. We didn’t realize how much closer until we started passing under bridges. Some of the bridges are high enough that you can actually remain seated. A couple of the bridges are low enough that you have to lean over in your seat to pass under. One bridge in particular we had to get down between the seats because the height of the boat alone barely made it beneath the bridge. No one was hurt (they hardly ever loose a passenger) but there was some nervous laughter after that last bridge.

There are some canal boats in Alkmaar with canopies but these are from Rederij de Schans which puts on a cruise from Zaanse Schans to Alkmaar (and return) for the Friday cheese market.

Comments