Herengracht 341, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1016 AZ, The Netherlands

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• Sabrina-FL's Profile Photo

Wonderfullllll......

My son and grandmother shared a room at the Ambassade, where we were greeted by a very friendly and professional staff, and whisked through winding halls to our canal view room. It was exquisitely decorated in my favorite, blue toile, with windows from floor to ceiling along the length of the room overlooking the canal. It was large and comfortable, and the bathroom was impeccably clean. On a late and cold evening in December, after having spent an entire day walking and tramming the streets of Amsterdam, seeing museums, stores, we enjoyed hot pots of tea, tea biscuits, and putting our feet up in our room...it was quiet, other than the ducks, geese and swans on the canal - which we found rather amusing.... Though you can order breakfast to your room, we decided to just enjoy the breakfast room - and breakfast tided us over until evenings... everyone is all smiles and good cheer, making for a great start to mornings in Amsterdam. The computer room is a plus, as I did not feel like schlepping my laptop.... So, I definitely will stay here again - and recommend it for anyone who wants to be off the noisy center and enjoy a more "local" atmosphere and elegant "boutique" hotel.....

• VdV's Profile Photo

Beautiful hotel, great location and friendly staff

During my past two trips to Amsterdam, I stayed at the same place--the Ambassade Hotel on Herengracht. Sure it's a bit pricey (particulary for U.S. visitors, with the strength of the Euro against the USD...) But, if I go back, I will definitely stay at the Ambassade again.

Its location is perfect, along one of the prettiest canals in the city. It's only a short two block walk to the main street of Leidestraat, and not too far from the Jordaan neighborhood, Anne Frank's House, etc.

The rooms are smallish, but comfortable and one feels as if you are in your own apartment. The staff is extremely friendly. There is a computer room where guests can access the Internet for free. The breakfast room (breakfast costs about $14 EUR) is quite grand and food good.

Check out their website for specials (some include breakfast, museum tickets, dinners at a local restaurant, etc.) Best bargains are during the winter season.

Unique Quality: The Ambassade is housed within about 10 canal homes (built in the 17th century) side by side, giving each room its own unique character. Two doors down (turn right after stepping out onto Herengracht) is Koan Float, where you can book a massage and/or "float" and have it charged to your room at the Ambassade. There is also a great cafe that makes delicious soups and sandwiches next to Koan Float, which I would highly recommend for a fresh lunch.

Directions: Herengracht - close to Jordaan, the Center, and Leidesplein. Two blocks from Leidestraat where you can catch several tram lines. Also close by (on Leidestraat) is a grocery store.

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo

Whatta great place!

I had a single room in the center house. A complex but enjoyable traverse was involved in getting there. Cross past the first three houses. Climb up, walk across, now climb down again, etc. The final access to the door was up a semi-circular stairway so steep and narrow that it was easier to hoist myself up, than climb.

Unique Quality: Exquisite Heirloom Room, from the XV Century, I think.

Apple Pie a la mode at nine PM on a night in January when the sun sets at four. Priceless.

Directions: On Herrengracht, the 'Gentlemans Canal.'

• Roaminmn's Profile Photo

My favorite Hotel in Amsterdam

This Hotel is made up of about 10 canal houses and has 50+ rooms. Very classy place with outstanding service. They have an elevator as well as a free internet kiosk for guests. Throughout the hotel it is furnished with classy well kept aniques for furniture that adds that extra class and Amsterdam experience. It is located right on the Herengracht Canal

Unique Quality: Elevator, 24 hour room service, breakfast for Eu14, internet kiosk for guests, laundry service, located in the middle of Amsterdam so it is very easy to walk to everything. Stay in room 70 and you will have a street access room on the ground floor facing the canal... extremely nice. They aslo have a full service spa and day trip coordination

More about Ambassade Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DRRB

The Ambassade Hotel in Amsterdam is way beyond ordinary, and I would recommend that anyone planning to visit Amsterdam consider it. Price may deter some extreme budget travelers, yet I found that its many positive features made it a bargain compared to other hotels.
Positive features ? First would have to be the staff ... the quality of service, the care and personal attention that they show, their willingness to
help with problems/complications, their cheerfulness. I never have seen better. Equally important to me was their location, and two aspects stand out here: their location in a quiet part of town that was easily accessible by foot, car, bus , tram, or bike ( many times in my nine days there I walked to and from the train station, to and from the museums ); and their being right along Herrengracht, so you always were beside and had a view of the canal. This makes it easy to fall in love with the canal(s).
Within easy walking distance there are several restaurants, bars, cafes, and coffeeshops. The Spui area with its shops, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, and stops for the bus and tram is within easy walking distance ( two blocks).
The rooms at the Ambassade seem to range from wonderful to magnificent; during my time there I stayed in four different rooms on four different levels of the hotel; each room was truly beautiful, nicely decorated, often with antiques and original artwork. The rooms were all larger than I expected and larger than I saw looking at other hotels. The beds all were very comfortable; the bathrooms all uncrowded. Noise from the street was minimal. It became a true oasis for me: I would walk for hours, return to the hotel for a peaceful, relaxing pause, then be off again,
enjoying my wanderings and always enjoying my return to the Ambassade.
The area felt very safe to me... day and night.
The "common" areas of the hotel are magnificent: the comfortable large library, or the lounge on the second floor next to the breakfast area; both the lounge and breakfast area have excellent views of the canal ( Because I don't eat breakfast, I cannot comment on that service, although I saw a
lot of happy-looking people in there ).
Another plus for this hotel is that parts of it are accessible by elevator...
rare in Amsterdam.
If I am lucky enough to get back to Amsterdam, I surely would stay at the Ambassade . I liked it so much I would turn down offers of free rooms elsewhere. It really is that good. Even if you don't stay there, it is worth looking at. Enjoy

We Loved The Ambassade

by TripAdvisor Member happytrailstoyou

My 16-year-old daughter and I spent 3 days at The Ambassade Hotel in June 2005. We had never been to Amsterdam before and used TripAdvisor in our hotel selection process.
We found the hotel to be perfect for us. Great charm and comfort. Lovely view of the canal and a nice breeze. It was warm, but we had a fan in the room and slept well.
We booked a special summer package deal, which included unlimited use of the hotel bikes and tickets to the Rijksmuseum and a canal-front room. The package also included our full breakfasts and was a good value. The breakfasts were indeed FULL......we enjoyed the food and happily skipped lunch each day.

The hotel's location was PERFECT for the sightseeing we wanted to do and my daughter LOVED the bikes. Bike riding in the city is not for the faint-hearted, but it was a wonderful way to 'go local'. We enjoyed the museum and the floating flower market. The main shopping district is nearby and walking the canals and neighborhood was great fun.
We did the Heineken Experience.....took the trolley out/back. It was fun, but not fabulous. Anne Frank House was somber, but should not be missed. We went about 5PM and encountered no lines.

My husband met us for an afternoon and escorted us to the Red Light District......yes, I know, I can't believe I took my teen there either. But why go to another country, if not to experience the culture? We discussed the role of prostitution in various societies/economies and the effect of legal drugs as well. I would rather that than having her watch VH-1 for the afternoon (the women are dressed the same & portrayed in similar roles anyway: another topic of discussion)!

One other note: saavy travelers are wary travelers. Be aware that Amsterdam is a pick-pocket's heaven. One evening at dinner at an outdoor cafe we actually witnessed a bike-thief attempt to steal our bikes! We were assisted by some big fellows from another table and confronted the man..... he just walked away. Apparently bike theft is a common occurrence.

We arrived/departed via Scheipol Airport and found it very easy to navigate. We used one of the airport/hotel buses into town, but a taxi on the return. The front desk was quite insistent on this, saying that it was common for the scheduled hotel/airport bus to be late. They had been so helpful on everything else, we took their advice on this.

In summary, we would go back to the city in a flash! Our only regret is that we were not able to stay longer.

Canal house living, almost perfect...

by TripAdvisor Member CaptainJames

Ambassade hotel is a group of 10 canal houses. Its location is perfect for a good nights rest with the windows open, as well as a close walk to everything you want in Amsterdam. We requested, and got a suite with balcony in the rear of the unit, our suite ran from the canal in front, through to the back of the property. Very nice and quite large in all respects but the bathroom, photo enclosed. Understanding in advance that Amsterdam homes have small stairways, and that a group of 10 houses together will cause different floors, in the different houses, to be at different levels, we requested and got a unit with direct access to the lobby and an elevator to our floor. We were told to expect parking problems and were told where to park, (we chose to taxi in from the airport, (under 50 euros). Two negatives we found were construction on the street the hotel is located on, and poor quality and quantity of the breakfast, we were given the bums rush to leave. We speak only english, but have good use of phrases in six languages, but dutch is not one. We had no trouble in Amsterdam except for the hotel, where as soon as we spoke english, they ran for an english speaker. While we enjoyed the Ambassade experience on a whole, we will not return, but will choose a different hotel in Amsterdam on our next trip. Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have.

So good I'd be happy to live there

I stayed at the Ambassade for a week in early June, and I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. It is very elegant, but in a quiet, tasteful way. The staff are as polite and helpful and professional as you could wish. My room was large, with floor to ceiling windows looking out on the canal in this very nice neighborhood of Amsterdam.
Room service was prompt, coffee or chocolate brought to you in the front lounge or upstairs in another elegant sitting room, breakfasts wonderful. And the location is perfect--as soon as you step out of the hotel front door, you are on a leafy cobblestoned street with little shops and restaurants just a half block away.
The hotel is immaculately clean and pretty, and I would stay there happily any time I am in Amsterdam.
Carol, San Francisco

Great Location

This hotel was recommended in numerous travel guides and magazines, and after staying there I can see why. The rooms were well furnished, clean, and well maintained during our stay. We stayed in room 16 which had french windows and a tiny balcony overlooking Herengracht. The staff were very helpful and extremely polite.

After spending four nights in Amsterdam we realised that the location of the hotel was superb. We had short listed some other hotels and realised we were very lucky to select the Ambassade. The location on Herengracht is very peaceful, with lots of cafe's and restaurants within easy reach.

Once again we would highly recommend this hotel.

Traveling to Amsterdam again... lets meet!

by Roaminmn

I will be in Amsterdam (again) for New Years. I will be there Dec 27th thru Jan 1. Let me know if there are any groups planning on getting together... I will be staying at the Ambassade.

Roman

Re: Traveling to Amsterdam again... lets meet!

by pieter_jan_v

Done:

PJ

Re: Traveling to Amsterdam again... lets meet!

by holden_dk

what's up roman,

three from austin texas, one chick and two dudes, will be in town for new years. what's cookin? might be fun to have an ex-pat blast (warning Mathew is crazy). let me know what the deal is, we're wide open, staying at durty nelly's until the 2nd.

signed, the not typically obnoxious texans,

lindsay
holden
mathew

by Roaminmn

Cool! It will be me and a guy I work with (Andy). I have been there several times and this will be Andy's second time. The best bet is to pick a pub and get there early, then at midnight go out and try not to get blown up by the fireworks! We will be there the 27th, there is a VT get together planned if you want in on that too.

by pieter_jan_v

Here are all NYE parties:

PJ

by Roaminmn

Sorry we missed the meeting, we thought it was later in the day and when we just looked we realized that it was now and we are on the other side of town. Please let me know if the group plans to meet again. We are staying at The Ambassade Hotel on Herengracht in room 70, you can leave a message there or post it here.

Comments