Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 33, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 RD, The Netherlands

See Amenities
Maryimelda's Profile Photo

So central....Avenue Hotel

by written on July 14, 2014

I was a bit dubious when I booked this hotel as there were some rather ordinary reviews, but my fears were unfounded. The Avenue Hotel was perfect for me as it had a lift, air conditioning and an easily accessible shower. These are my three non-negotiable requirements in hotels since my mobility has become limited.

The staff in all areas were very pleasant and very helpful and the breakfast (included) was top notch. A buffet with nothing forgotten.

Unique Quality: I guess I would have to say that the very best feature of the Avenue Hotel would have to be its location right in the centre of town within walking distance of so many Amsterdam attractions and of course the railway station.

I came in to the city from Schipol in a shuttle and I was getting quite concerned when the shuttle let everybody else out before me and although the hotels that all the other shuttle passengers were using seemed to be of good quality, I noticed that none of them were very close to the centre and so I was fearful that I too would be staying in a hotel that was not in a good location. I soon stopped worrying when I was let out at the Avenue Hotel and I could see so much of interest all around the area.

malianrob's Profile Photo

Avenue Hotel Amsterdam Continued

by written on November 24, 2008

The hotel has a small bar in the lobby area that they open up in the evenings so that you can get drinks and mingle with other guest. In the mornings if you wake up early you can have a breakfast that is included with your stay here. There was alot of food but personally I didnt find it too good. If you stick to the breads and croissants,orange juise and coffee you would be ok. The bacon was good but the sausage was not so good and niether were the eggs. They also had cold cereal and small pancakes.
If you are a big guy like my husband you might not be too comfortable in the bathroom. Everything is so compact. The bathtub is like half the size that it is in the States. If he stood a certain way his feet would not fit in the tub. I was fine cause i am short.

Unique Quality: Overall my stay here was pleasant. The staff was very nice and I liked the location of the hotel.

malianrob's Profile Photo

Avenue Hotel Amsterdam

by written on November 23, 2008

I was told about this place by a friend. I also contacted a few VT'ers that have stayed here and everyones response was always positive.
The service is good, the front deskstaff is very pleasant. They service a full free of charge breakfast in the morning.
Our room was a double room,it had a double bed for two people only. It was rather small but I hear that is the norm in Europe. The place was very clean and neat although very simple. There was nothing fancy about this place but it was very comfortable and cozy.

Unique Quality: The location for this place is what I really liked. We were close to the central station and the central part of town. We walked to everywhere we went.

Directions: About 5 minutes walking from the Centraal Station.

22scootergal's Profile Photo

good value in Amsterdam

by written on June 25, 2007

I thought the hotel was clean, the room faced the back so it had no view but was
quiet, clean, with a t.v. and comfortable bed. Only trouble was I had booked my
room online (through the hotel's own site) I'm glad I brought a copy of the confirmation
as upon arrival they has lost the reservation. The receptionist cheerfully booked me a
room and upgraded to a double (I had booked a single). My stay was May 30, 2007
and the rate was 90 Euro--which seemed reasonable. A good breakfast buffet was included.
Hotel has a lift.

Unique Quality: Easy walking distance to Central Station & everything else

Directions: very close to Central Station

Bluedawg1968's Profile Photo

Quaint Hotel- Very reasonable

by written on March 12, 2006

My stay at the Avenue was great. The hotel was very easy to find. The entire hotel was very clean. The staff were friendly, and more than willing to assist me with any site-seeing questions.
My room was ready and spotless upon arrival. I was expecting a very small room, but to my surprise it was very roomy. The bathroom was a little small, but clean. It had a bath tub/shower combo.
The atmosphere was quiet, and quite relaxing.
I didn't take advantage of the complimentary breakfast. I was up way too late to get up early enough to catch it. But I heard it is very good.
There is a lobby bar. I did take advantage of that!

I would definately recommend this hotel to someone.

Unique Quality: The Avenue Hotel consists of 79 rooms. You can choose between: single rooms, double rooms, superior double rooms, triple rooms, and quadruple rooms. There is also a furnished apartment available.

Breakfast is included with the room rate.
There is no restaurant at the hotel.

Directions: If arriving via Central Station, it is an easy 10 minute walk (at most). Just cross Prins Hendrik Kade, and stay straight ahead onto Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. The hotel is on the left side of the street.

LauraBBX's Profile Photo

Very nice hotel located in the heart of Amsterdam

by written on March 1, 2006

I thought this hotel was great, it's small (78 rooms) but each room has its own bath/shower...One of my favorite things about it was its location, it's a 5 min walk from Centraal Station, right in the center of the city. Another thing I really liked about it was the buffet style breakfast...(daily from 7am to 10am except weekends, 7:30-10:30). It really offered plenty of choices, including an American traditional breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, etc:) & an European one (croissant, roll w/ butter & jam). There was also a Cafe in the hotel, where one could grab a drink or a snack. The hotel staff were very nice & helpful:). I would definetly consider staying there again on my next trip to Amsterdam.

Directions: Take tram # 1, 2 or 5 from Centraal Station & exit at the 1st stop: "Nieuwezijds Kolk". The hotel will be on your left side at # 33.

GrantBoone's Profile Photo

OUR HOTEL FOR THE WEEKEND.

by written on February 19, 2004

A great hotel in between central station and Anne Frank's house. It was the first hotel we tried after arriving and we had a nice stay there.

Richard_Townend's Profile Photo

Good quality and good location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2004

I have stayed at the 3 star Avenue three times and each time enjoyed my stay. The rooms are decent sized, nicely furnished and clean.
The reception area is small but there is a small bar available.
Some of the rooms overlook the main road below and it's nice to be able to watch the trams go past. One thing I would suggest though is to request one of these rooms prior to your arrival. Once we went and didn't do this. We ended up in an inside room where all we had as a view were brick walls and windows of the other rooms. Ruined the stay a little.
The location is good, 5 mins from Centraal Station on foot. It is near Dam Square and the shops, and a little further you will reach the RLD. As I mentioned, the trams go past outside so it's easy to hop on one to travel further afield.
The breakfast is pretty good too.
Recommended!

Directions: Turn right as you exit Centraal Station. Turn left and cross the main road. Turn right and walk until you reach Nieuwzijds Voorburgwal. Turn onto it. It is situated about 5 minutes on here on the left.

Decent hotel, great location

by written on September 15, 2003

Hotel in central location, 5 minutes from Dam Square, 5 from Centraal Station. On main road with good tram and bus service right outside. Within easy walking distance of many attractions - Anne Franks House, Dam Square, Red Light District, China Town.

Decent accommodation, room was fairly small and basic but did the job for us, was clean and had everything you'd need.

Breakfast was a buffet with a reasonable selection.

Not the cheapest hotel I've been in, 150 euros for a saturday night and 125 each for the sunday and monday nights, but given the location and the other hotels close by I think it was pretty good value for money.

Unique Quality: Main thing is the location - its very central.

Directions: From Centraal Station, come out to the start of Damrak then follow the main road to the right.

LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Great Party Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 26, 2003

The Avenue Hotel ROCKS! A few friends went to Canabus Cup last year and got this cute little hotel at a great rate. It was just behind the pallace in Damn Square. Had this cool bar next to it. If your not picky, this is a fab place. However, it's a busy area, so it's for those who are going to party!

Unique Quality: Rooms
The rooms are also small and are decorated in either pink or apple green in modern style. They are not furnished with especially expensive materials, but they are comfortable. The bathrooms are small, simple and up-to-date and all are in good condition.
Restaurant
There is no restaurant apart from the breakfast room and this can be found on the ground floor.
Exterior
The exterior of this building is very traditional as it consists of typical Dutch townhouses which are all so familiar in Amsterdam city centre.
Lobby
The lobby is large with limited seating and there is also a small bar adjacent. It is all new and was recently refurbished in 2001.
General
This popular hotel is a good three star property which offers a reasonable level of comfort in a prime location. It was refurbished in 2001.jg/03/2003

Bedrooms

Coach parking
Car rental facilities
Baby sitting
Laundry facilities

Directions: This hotel is situated close to the railway station of Amsterdam and has easy access to the main shopping street 'De Kalverstraat'. It also overlooks the main street connecting the railway station with the centre of Amsterdam.

SNEAKS's Profile Photo

by written on August 25, 2002

Unique Quality: Located in the Amsterdam Centre. The Avenue is a clean, well maintained, and affordable hotel. The room I had was small but clean, and the service was very attentive. You are in walking distance to many attractions including; Dam Square, Royal Palace, Red Light District, Centraal Station, and the Canal Boat Tours. The price of a single room is 225 guilders ($90 U.S. dollars).

Directions: Address: Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 27; Trams 1,2,5,13,17,20

Nearby Avenue Hotel

• Avenue Hotel Amsterdam

Address: Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 33, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 RD, The Netherlands

21 Photos of Avenue Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Avenue Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Beverage Selection
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews