Bed & Breakfast Batavia

More about Amsterdam

Albert Cuyp street market - AmsterdamAlbert Cuyp street market - Amsterdam

cat houseboatcat houseboat

the roomthe room

Bikes and bikes and bikes.....Centraal stationBikes and bikes and bikes.....Centraal station

Urgent. Transportation questions.

by sandeepgarg

We are 9 persons (4 adults, 1 Sr. Citizen 69yr., 4 kids 13,9,7,6 yrs. We shall be arriving on 14th May morning in Amsterdam. We would be leaving on 16th May morning.

How and where to get the minivan Taxi to Novotel Amsterdam (Not the shuttle), from Schiphol?? Or is the ordinary taxi also convenient and reasonable?

How do we go to Centraal Station in Amsterdam, from Novotel, to catch the train to Brussels? We will have luggage with us too.

Can we deposit our luggage at the station in early morning, then go to Anne Franke House and return to take the train to Brussels? We want to leave latest by 11 am or so, from Amsterdam.

Can we do Zaanse Schans and Madurodam in 1 day? HOW?

Re: Urgent. Transportation questions.

by grandmaR

I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but why not just leave your luggage in the room (or somewhere in the hotel) and run out early in the morning to see Anne Frank and then come back to the room and go to the airport. Is the checkout time before 11 or noon? That way the senior person and the little people would have a chance to use the bathroom before leaving.

Also be aware that the lines at Anne Frank house will be very long and it is pretty small inside.

Re: Urgent. Transportation questions.

by Britannia2

You cannot do Madurodam and Zaanse Schans in one day comfortably by public transport. From Amsterdam the train to The Hague takes about 50 minutes and then you need to take a tram to Madurodam - another 30 minutes. It takes at least 2 - 3 hours to enjoy Madurodam and then you have to get back to Amsterdam to get a train to Koog Zaandick - about 25 minutes. The walk to Zaanse Schans is I think 15 minutes and then you need perhaps 2 hours there. I would say it is not really possible.

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

VVV office - and great coffee!

by Rachael71

Right opposite Centraal Station is the Tourist Information Office - the VVV - and Smits Coffee House. There are also landing stages for all the canal boat companies here.

The VVV is good if you have arrived without pre-booking your accommodation, as they will help you find some. You can also pre-book museum tickets here. You won't get a discount, but it does mean that you can jump the queues and go straight in.

After visiting the VVV, go downstairs to Smits Koffie Huis. Smits has been around since 1919 and I gather it is one of the oldest wooden buildings in the area. You can sit on the terrace with a coffee and watch the river traffic. I also recommend the ice-cream that contains the orange liquer, it has quite a kick!

Remember Holland is as flat as...

by Steve-H

Remember Holland is as flat as a witches tit and if you go at the wrong time of year, we last went in October, it can be very cold and tourists a bit thin on the ground which is why i'm the only person outside this cafe (looks like a picture from Where's Waldo)In summer its great, very warm and colourful and still very laid back.

Sweet Mushrooms, August 2002

by bakpakchik

My fascination with mushrooms goes back to seventh grade when I read 'The Purple Pileus' by H.G. Wells. In Brussels, one of the Irish boys at my hostel advised me to try mushrooms in Amsterdam and my seventh-grade craze was reawakened. In Amsterdam, Jill introduced me to mushrooms formally. 'shrooms, shall we say. Mexican, Thai - take your pic. I had Thai the first night - which the guy at the Smart Shop said are supposed to make you contemplative and observant. My contemplation and observation that night comprised mostly of thinking up ways to harass the Japanese tourists that seemed to be walking round in circles.

We pretended to have deep philosophical conversations and make meaningful observations. Lol. The only remotely observational aspect of the evening was noticing that there are two types of people at Dam Sqaure: weird people and normal people acting weird. I don't know how meaningful this observation was, but we sought comfort in putting ourselves in the latter category.

Pick up a (free!) copy of the...

by PartyRambo

Pick up a (free!) copy of the Yellow Pages Visitors Guide - it contains maps, tourist sites & information, embassies, etcetera...
I think I got mine at the hotel, but I'm sure they'll be easy to find.

Dogs in Amsterdam

by jo104

We're talking real dogs not hot dogs (although they are pretty fabulous here)
You will notice that the Dutch exercise their dogs whilst still riding their bikes using a long extendable lead. Mind you don't get caught between the lead & the bicycle for a nasty fall.

According to my friend Han there are some irresponsible dog owners here who do not think it necessary to keep the dog on a leash so take care.

I found this sign "hond in de goot" fairly interesting does it mean dogs must be kept off the sidewalk and in the gutter or does it refer to they should poop in the gutter not in the sidewalk?? Not really sure what the policy is on clearing up after your pet anybody know?

Comments