BickersBed Guestrooms Amsterdam

Center of AmsterdamCenter of Amsterdam

loverboatsloverboats

De Oude Kerk / The Old ChurchDe Oude Kerk / The Old Church

Historic Brew RoomHistoric Brew Room

Renting a modem for two weeks?

by groover101

I will be in Holland next spring and spending some time in the rural areas. The place I will be staying does not have Wi-Fi and I was hoping to bring along my laptop to stay in touch with family and download photos at the end of each day. Can someone tell me if it is possible to rent a modem for two weeks time from Vodafone or another provider and if so what is the cost? Is therea flat rate or is the cost calculated by minutes used? Forgive me but I am a tech dummy for the most part.

Re: Renting a modem for two weeks?

by pieter_jan_v

As emailed: most contracts have a minimum period of 1 year.

PJ

Re: Renting a modem for two weeks?

by ATLC

The techy thing is not the hard part. There are prepaid sim cards that you put in the embedded modem of your laptop.

Prepaid means no contracts. I'm not very good at this but I guess someone should be able to see if this is possible for you. Or you could pop into a mobile phone store once you get here.

Here's an example.

and some prices:

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Non-smoking Amsterdam...

by johngayton

...tobacco that is!!

So the Netherlands have now joined the European consensus that smoking tobacco isn't good for you, it isn't good for those around you, and that the practical thing to do is ban all tobacco smoking in ALL public places.

This is bad news for the "brown bars", those staples of pub-life where you could drop in for a beer and a fag, pass the time of day with the guys ("guys" being of either sex) and just generally chill-out.

So now, when I next visit in the winter, I'll have to go to one of the coffee shops if I want some company and then get totally wrecked on straight grass or a bong of hash.

There is more to life than getting stoned and there is more to life than getting drunk but maaaaan I'd rather just enjoy my couple of beers and my tobacco roll-up in a nice eclectic bar with similar folk than try to hold my *** together with a bunch of spaced-out numpty dopies.

Why they didn't adopt the Copenhagen idea whereby the small bars could opt to be smoking or not I don't know - that would have been the sensible solution to my mind.

Ach, well, Amsterdam now will get an odd couple of hours once every so often in the near future as I pick up my tobacco and on the positive note - I'm now going to be seeing a bit more of the Netherlands and perhaps have a few forays into Germany and Belgium on my next continental tobacco runs.

Architecture-Neck Gable

by guell

Much like my home city of San Francisco, Amsterdam's architectural beauty lies in the countless residential buildings. From the 16th to the 17th centuries and beyond, many of the homes were built with gables, which served not only to hide the roofs from public view, but also to identify the houses until the number system was introduced in 1795.

Pictured here is an example of the neck gable, also known as the bottle gable. This design was introduced in the 1640's and was continued off and on through the 19th century.

Take a canal cruise.

by sheryl_tan

One of the first thing you should do at Amsterdam is to take a canal cruise down the waterways of Amsterdam. The cruise will enable you to see rows of gable houses and some very beautiful boat houses. Even saw a family having a barbeque on their boat.

Free booklets

by tweetycaro

All over Amsterdam you can find free magazines and booklets about the nightlife, theatre,... pick them up !!! They are full of useful information, discount tickets,... We found the Amsterdam Night and Day very useful.

NEMO - (Science Museum) - 1998

by yooperprof

The new Amsterdam Science Museum - NEMO - opened in 1998. It's the design of famous architect Renzo Piano, and is meant to showcase its location guarding the Oosterdok just off Prins Hendrikkade. I've read that the hulk "resembles a green ship rising from the waters, and never fails to raise a gasp from people seeing it for the first time." (That's from my guide book.)

Well. If I'm gasping, it's not out of admiration. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the design. And since when are ships meant to rise _out_ of the water? If you ask me, NEMO is a little too "gimmicky" for its prominent location. Moreover, I didn't go inside the museum - the admission ticket was a little steep.

Comments