Center Apartment

Good For No Data

More about Amsterdam

graffittigraffitti

Singel 404Singel 404

One of the many canalsOne of the many canals

bed of wonderful tulips in Kuekenhofbed of wonderful tulips in Kuekenhof

Amsterfashion

by bandanna

OK, Dutchies and recent visitors...if hooded ponchos are not currently in fashion, please tell us what IS in fashion around town these days...for women, men, kids, dogs, bikes...anything.
Tell us!

by dustmon

wow---an all encompassing question for the masses----I just came back from a week there and while it was still warm, I hung out on the back of my houseboat in shorts and a t-shirt, waving at the locals and the tourists floating by....walking around, it rained a few days so had to go with dark pants,dockers or somesuch, and a long sleeved shirt---otherwise it was khakis and polos or short sleeved shirts.....Obviously I am not a fashion king, but have a great time with comfortable clothes in hospitable cities like Amsterdam...
Locals mostly had black attire, from miniskirts on the bike riders, to tight black tops on guys and girls on the Leidseplein Square----

dustmon

by johngayton

Locals may correct me on this one but Amsterdam folk seem to be totally unfashionistic. That's not to say that they don't have class but that being classy is nothing to do with the clothes they wear.

Tourists on the other hand manage to mangle designer chic with obvious touristic delight.

Me I love the leggy Dutch girls for whom the sensible thing to wear when cycling around the city is of course a short skirt - but then I'm just a dirty old man LOL ;)

by bandanna

Haha, I love those leggy Dutch girls!

by goodfish

Anything goes. Seriously. Cargo pants, khakis, jeans - just about all is worn and acceptable as long as it's tidy and clean. Just wind a long scarf around your neck and you'll fit in as long as you leave the "pants on the ground" or baggy sweats at home. No wild patterns either.

Yup Johnny, I saw lots of leggy young ladies in tights, knee-high boots and short skirts. Saw the same in Paris.

by ATLC

If you want to watch fashionistas with loads of money to spend on designer clothes, go to the fashion shopping street P.C. Hooftstraat (near Museum park) and simply watch people pass by (on their scooters or too large SUV's) while you enjoy an overpriced cappuccino. Plenty of blonde and bling to be seen.

Other than that, have a look at department store websites like www.vd.nl or www.wehkamp.nl (click 'dames' or 'damesmode').
Mainstream fashion, you'll get the drift.

by pieter_jan_v

I agree with John: don't expect too much of fashion from the common Dutchies.

Although I notices high heels are becoming a trend (not recommend for the Amsterdam cobble stone walking areas).

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Not your average cup of joe

by bamadiver

working overseas I have met people from all over the world, and this is a good place to have a large group of different nationalities togehter. Went to Amsterdam for a wedding of one of our friends. He chickened out ...smart. She got over it though by sleeping with his brother. My favorite part of Amsterdam trip, was watching a friend munching on space cakes, and then realizing what was in them. Laughed until I cried. This is an older friend who stayed clean cut through the 70's and waits until he is turning 45 to catch his first trip. I watched him tear up widow maker like he smokes a marlboro. And this is a chain smoker. The 12 of us had to literally take turns carrying this man back to his room, we then shaved his eyebrows and one of the girls put makeup on him, they then stripped him naked and called for room service. We left the room and was glad to go see a museum and then it was to a techno club, we ate at a bar that had rooms over it, and since it started flooding that night we just grabbed all the empty rooms and drank and partied. Followed the next day by remembering the older man was needing to fly that afternoon. We got to his room, woke him up, he answers the door still naked, with one of the hotel staff in his bed. Seems the girl had a thing for older guys(even stoned ones). He wasnt even pissed about the eyebrows. They got married 6 months later. The reception party was even better. Good times, nice people, great time with great friends, seeing things I never thought I would. Hard Rock Cafe' aint nothing to go out of your way for either. If you've seen one, you got the idea the first time.

enjoy yourself.

by excitableone

my favorite thing about amsterdam is the fact that i truly felt free while there,this had nothing to do with the fact that i was on vacation. this city had a calming effect on me and my fiance, at no point during our trip did i think about al queda attacks, or any negativity for that matter. it was like the world was on hold for 11 days, and we were just enjoying what life had to offer. im personally going to miss all but the red light district, that's the only part of amsterdam that makes me feel uncomfortable. we weren't approached by to many drug dealers or beggers, in fact we only were approached in the red light by these types. even then a firm NO usually did the trick.i was especially drawn to the rijks museum, it has more culture and history than all of las vegas combined. that place was a magnet for me, anytime we were near i was taking a new picture of it. the museum it's self was breathetaking, we spent a couple of hours there oohing and ahhhing.

See the canals, specially in...

by travelstevie

See the canals, specially in summer, walking in a very romantic city where everything is possible...but, watch out for pickpocketing! Act like you live in Amsterdam and nothing bad will happen. Amsterdam is relaxed and easy-going. When I am away I miss the easy live, the special humor of the people from Amsterdam and the feeling that you can do what you want. There are a lot of nice cafe's, restaurants and bars.

if you like the pot part of amsterdam...........

by excitableone

buy the smokers guide to amsterdam available in most coffeeshops, this will be the only guide for marijuana and hash you will need. it gives lot's of information on everything you'll need to know about coffeeshopping or smartshopping ( mushrooms,peyote,etc...) good book to own, it helped us out at times.

Amsterdam Tip

by sunnywong

One thing that gives Amsterdam something very special is the boathouses that boost all around in the canals (about 2,500!). This is normal boathouse in Amsterdam....and it even have a flower garden!

Comments