Chic & Basic Amsterdam

Herengracht 13-19, (formerly "Hotel New Amsterdam"), Amsterdam, 1015 BA, The Netherlands

chic&basic Amsterdam
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 62% more than other 2 star hotels

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Great hotel at the Herengracht

The Chic & Basic Hotel is a housed in three joined authentic canal houses; all of them with three floors.

Unique Quality: Modern interior with flat screen TV and high speed Internet in all rooms.

Directions: Canal Belt, CS-side

More about Chic & Basic Amsterdam

great spot

stayed three nights at Hotel New Amsterdam in Jan 06; excellent location, handy to all sights and amenities without being in the midst of it all. Accommodation was very clean and modern, yet with great character (especially if you are on the third floor up three very steep flights of stairs!). Coffee on tap was very welcome after busy days out and about. Best point was undoubtedly the friendly informative staff who did all they could to make our short visit the best. Great accommodation at a great price. Would highly recommend this hotel for your consideration next time you are staying in Amsterdam.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member orangbabe

Me and my boyfreind just come back from a 3day break for my b-day, my boyfriend had emailed them before we went and asked if they could leave flowers or chocolates in our hotel room as a surprize! and they sure did, which was lovely. When we arrived we were welcomed with tea/coffee, which i hadnt experienced before,after a long day travelling from pembrokeshire you were dying for a nice cup of tea!

We read that the rooms were small but the one we had was quite Spacious,including the bathroom which i was suprized of after reading other reviews.
(ROOM 401)our room was nextdoor to the main entrance to the hotel and had a canal view. Rooms were warm and most of the windows opened.
We had a bath/shower with a a range of accessories (shower gel, shower cap etc...). Rooms were equipt with iron and hair dryer, no telephone tho. Rooms were cleaned everyday.

For breakfast, there were a choice of cereals, meats, bread and boiled egg. with many diff teas, coffee fresh orange juice and water. Coffee, tea and water was available 24 hours. There was also a snack vending machine in the breakfast area. We also had coffee/tea making facilites in our room.
The hotel is situated in a residential area which is 5-10 minute walk to the main streets and central station and within walking distance to the red light district.
Staff were very freindly and went out of there way to make you feel welcomed.
We highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in amsterdam.

Wonderful hotel at a great location

I was charmed as soon as we walked through the breakfast room on the way to our room - there are wonderful paintings on the ceiling! Our room had small, realistic paintings of parrots at various and surprising places throughout the room. While the furniture is modern, the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the paintings bring the charm to the rooms that the furniture does not. The staff is very helpful and engaging, recommending good places to eat and even showing us some empty rooms near ours so we could view the paintings in them. The breakfast offers a variety of items from fruit and cereal to eggs, meat and tasty cheeses. The location is on a quiet street that is conveniently located. For the price this place is the best and we will definitely stay here for each visit to this wonderful city.

Loved the New Amsterdam Hotel

The Hotel New Amsterdam was wonderful in every way!! The location was central, walkable to the train station and most everything we wanted to do and there was always the tram if we were too tired. The service was outstanding! Helpful, fun and very accomodating. Our room was spotless, though a bit small, but no matter. And the breakfast was such a treat -- fresh orange juice, coffee, cheese etc. My Mom and I just loved being there, and hope to again some day!!!

New Amsterdam is a hit!

by TripAdvisor Member mixmaster

My wife and I stayed here in March and it was fabulous. We arrived at 8am and they had the roomm ready for us by noon. Positive points are: great location, extremely quiet, mature clientele, and if you get the suite on the top floor facing the canal, you've got the best view! The staff are extremely friendly (and fit - they had to carry my bags to the top without breaking a sweat!) Breakfast is great, with fresh O.J. and a nifty cafe machine. Will definitely stay there again.

5 Star in my book !

We just returned from a wonderful 4 day stay at the Hotel New Amsterdam.

We arrived in the pouring rain and were greeted with smiles and warm coffee ! We were put in a lovely room on the top floor with an outstanding view of the canal ! Our entire time there was great - kudos to the staff, especially Maarten ! He carried our big luggage up 4 flights of very narrow/straight up stairs ! Great breakfast each morning with fresh Orange Juice and Eggs,Meats,Cheeses,etc. And a great Coffee/Cap machine available 24/7.

Hotel is 10 minute walk from Central Station, close walking to The Dam and other sites, great restaurants and shopping nearby. You most also do a Bike Tour of the City and Countryside (Mikes) and go see the Tulips (just coming out now, late winter)!

Very nice, warm hotel - I can Highly Recommend !

Average Hotel but not bad for Amsterdam

I stayed here for one night in April. I booked online and was offered a rate of around 88 euro.

To be perfectly honest, I found the room ( at the top of the hotel and many many stairs including a flight of stairs once you have opened your own room door! ) to be quite average. It was perfectly clean and quiet which was fine. However, I did not get the "wow" factor at all that other reviewers seem to suggest.
Maybe this was due to my picking the "weakest link" so to speak or others have just had many bad experiences in Amsterdam in the past.

Overall, a clean, comfortable hotel in a central location. I would return maybe but would definately ask for a different room and maybe then I could also give a "glowing" report.

Great Value and really clean

by TripAdvisor Member RUSH2

Me and my travel buddy stayed at this lovely little hotel. Very central location (very near to the central station and lots of cafes/coffeeshops on the corner).
Very very helpful staff (carried our luggage-no lift, downloaded our photos and ordered us a cab) always with a smile.
We got room 323 which is one of the more spacious rooms on the first floor, view on a small balcony with interesting sculptor.
Bathroom stocked with Rituals bath products- really cute.
Breakfast was filling with a variety of options.
Overall, the room was really clean, comfortable (nice couche to laze on) and very convenient, great deal.
We are definately coming back soon.
Recommended to all :)

ps: we really miss heaven (Amsterdam)

Very cute little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingCat

Stayed here 5 nights with my boyfriend and we really enjoyed our stay. I had booked a double room couple months before from the hotel's website, based on the reviews here.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. They showed us our room and helped carrying the luggage. Room was small and there was no air conditioning, but gladly we didn't need one. Room and bathroom were clean and they changed the towels daily and took out the carbage.

Breakfast was included and there was plenty to choose from.

The hotel is in a very narrow house without a lift, so that can be a bit difficult to some. We didn't mind, but our room was in the first floor. I really liked the hotel's environment - it was close to the shops, but there was still peaceful and relaxing. The view from the hotel's frontdoor is beautiful and it really is located in the nice neighborhood.

We would definitely go there again.

Comments