De Lairessestraat 7, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1071 NR, The Netherlands

Rated 13% higher but also costs 30% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Museum Square Hotel Amsterdam

Great Hotel, Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member von_levi

I had an overall great stay at the Museum Square Hotel. Both my room and bathroom were quite large. I stayed in the room alone, but considering that the bed was a queen, the hotel must use the room for couples. Even for couples it was very large. Much larger than what's standard in European 3 star hotels.

Everything was very clean. Staff was friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was quite good -- American continental: eggs, cereal, croissant, OJ, etc.

The hotel is situated very close to some of the tourist hot spots: The Concertgebouw is across the street, and the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum are less than a five minute walk away (I imagine that almost everyone who visits Amsterdam goes to both of these fantastic museums).

One thing I do need to mention about the hotel is that it's on the outskirts of the city center -- the heart of the city is about a 15 to 20 minute walk away; the train station is closer to 30. However, trams and buses stop in front of the hotel which will take you downtown. I found that being outside of the city center was a plus. The hotel is located on the edge of a tranquil residential neighborhood which have many good and reasonably priced restaurants. I really enjoyed just walking around the neighborhood and seeing what life in Amsterdam looks like.

And finally, the price was very low.

Next time I go to Amsterdam I will definitely stay at the Museum Square Hotel again. (I have recommended the hotel to friends who tried to book rooms five months ahead of time only to find it completely sold out -- I guess I'm not the only one who had a great stay).

van gogh museum on the museum...

by michel19

van gogh museum on the museum square has a great exebition about gogin and van gogh...
the picture on the left is the new expantion of the museum a rich japanesse bloke financed it.

Four delightful nights

by TripAdvisor Member Peregrina651

This is not the Ritz -- and it doesn't pretend to be. Still, this is the place to stay if you are looking for a pleasant, unpretentious yet convenient hotel in a quiet, safe neighborhood. The rooms are large by European standards and some are even air-conditioned (but you can't get a/c and non-smoking in the same room). The front-desk staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean (though they could stand some refurbishing) and the beds were quite comfortable.

Though non-smokers, we chose the rooms with the a/c for our August stay (and used the a/c even though temps were in the low 70s by day). We stayed in two different rooms and neither of them smelled of stale smoke. Our first room faced the back of the hotel; from the 4th floor (5th by American reckoning), you could see the neighborhood rooftops. Our second room faced the street, from where you could see both the Concertgebouw and the Rijksmuseum. The street-side is a bit noisy with the windows open but the double-glazed windows block out most of the noise (and the neighborhood does quiet down at night).

Although the guidebooks complain about the lack of restaurants in the Museum Square area, we didn't know what they were talking about. We walked around the corner from the hotel on our first night and found 5 or 6 places to choose from--again, nothing fancy, just the local eateries.

The breakfast was a typical Dutch offering -- breads (and a toaster), cold-cuts (yes; ham, cheese, salami, turkey), cold cereal, soft-boiled eggs, some fruit.

Yes, we will stay at the Museum Square Hotel again and we will suggest it ti friends as well.

At the Museum Square there was...

by filipdebont

At the Museum Square there was an artificial skate-ring. I believe this sport is almost the most popular in Holland. You could almost say that the
Dutch babies are born with skates on their little feet. From the moment that it is freezing for some days, they all go skating on the many frozen pools and brooks. When the ice is thick enough, they even have a very long skate contest, named the 11 stedentocht (the 11 cities tour). This tour is
held in Friesland, that is North Holland, and this tour is almost 200 km long. For the region this day is a real festivity, everybody is outside, music bands are playing along the circuit, this is almost as a national holiday, normal life really stops and everybody is around the ice. This is also a great event to follow on television.

Of these 11 stedentocht there are also versions by boat and by bicycle. I competed already three times in the 11-steden tour for bicycles (230 km), I finished twice and I had to stop the last time because of 5 flat tyres (after 177 km)

Stedelijk Museum, Under Renovation Construction

by pieter_jan_v

The Stedelijk Museum is the Amsterdam Museum of modern art.

When I was young I saw the Campbell soup can pictures by Andy Warhol and much more sixties pop art.

The Museum normally is at the Museum square, together with its bigger brothers, the Van Gogh - and Rijksmuseum.
The building is under total reconstruction, see building activities.

A part of the collection could be seen at Stedelijk CS till october 2008. 2009 Update: The building close to the Central Station is being demolished in Spring. Now there are exhibitions throughout the city; check the website for up-to-date information.

After the reconstruction is finished, the main museum will open early 2011.

Visiting hours:
Daily: 10AM - 6PM

Admission: Euro 10.00

fabulous place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member minkfest2

We stayed here for 2 nights over half term with our 3 year old. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. They explained maps, told us how to get to the Miffy shop ( the only reason our daughter wanted to go to Amsterdam) and gave us a card with the hotel number for her to keep in her pocket in case she got lost. The room was a good size and very clean.
The breakfasts were good. Nothing exciting, but fresh, decent food and no queues.
All the hotel staff spoke good English and were happy to book airport buses for us.
The location is great as it is just off Museumplienn - the main square where the Van Gogh Museum and the Concert hall are. There are lots of trams from here to the city centre or anywhere else! It is easy to wlak into the city centre as well, it would take about 15/20 min.
We would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

A bit disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member piggytailchick

I was really looking forward to this hotel, from the trip advisors reviews, however when we did get in our room I was quite disappointed - Maybe we were just unlucky with the room we were allocated, or my expecations were just too high.
It seemed dark, small, and a bit dusty, with a few things that need some maintenance… such as soap dispenser refilling, bulb blown in bath room, the shower unit door being given a decent scrub due to scale/rust and net curtains washing.

Possibly the ‘dark wood’ furniture did make the room seem a touch darker than it was.

In the positive side, all three receptionist staff that we dealt with was helpful and had excellent English. Also the sheets/bedding was clean.
The room had a safe (no fee) so that was a bonus.
Finally, it was double glazed so we did sleep Ok and the location, although a tram journey from the ‘classic’ Amsterdam action, suited us better because we did not want it to be too loud at night.

We only stayed for one night, and did not make breakfast so cannot comment on the selection.

We paid £114.00 for this room which personally I think was over priced, if you could get it for nearer £80.00 I think that would have been a far better (for a major city), and I doubt I would have moaned about the room problems mentioned above!

Lovely location, lovely staff!

by TripAdvisor Member Julian&Moira

My wife, my stepson and myself stayed here for three happy days in August. The location is very convenient for the concert hall and the main museums, but it isn't really smack in the middle of the city. This is not a problem, however, if you can master the tram system. Walking to the Dam Square takes about 25 minutes if you walk briskly, considerably more if you dawdle and take in the sights and shops. Either way it's as flat as a pancake, of course!
My stepson's room was a comfortable double with air con. Our's was a twin on the floor below. Both rooms were at the back of the hotel and therefore quieter. Rooms on the front could be noisy I guess. If it's hot--and it was for our first night--a room with air con is a must. Our twin didn't have it and we 'cooked' as a result. Unusually for a continental hotel the rooms had tea and coffee making facilities and a small fridge.
Breakfast was the usual Dutch buffet: ideal for 'stoking' up for the day ahead.
All of the staff were friendly and, of course, multi lingual.
The hotel is in a nice neighbourhood with plenty of good eating and drinking options.
This is somewhere we'd definitely consider using again when ( not if ) we go back to this great city.

Lovely location and excellent staff

by TripAdvisor Member cazleeds

We stayed here for 2 nights over the convention period. The hotel rooms were a good size and location ideal for us. The breakfast was more than adequate and plentiful and the conservatory was really nice. The staff are excellent here and are happy to give any information required. Although the price seemed a little steep for what it was (possibly due to convention week), I would stay here again, although I would probably ask for a room at the back of the hotel as the noice from the road at the front was quite noticeable.

The Rijksmuseum from the museum-square sideThe Rijksmuseum from the museum-square side

Olympic Torch Relay

by Imaniac

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any VTers are going to the Olympic Torch Relay tomorrow. The Olympic Flame will be carried around Amterdam in the afternoon by Dutch athletes, TV personalities and regular people like students.

This is a part of the programme:

11:30 - Arena - Ajax Stadium
15:30 - Dam Square
17:15 - Museum Square
19:15 - Olympic Stadium

There are a lot of festivities around teh whole day.

So my question: does anyone want to go with me?

Re: Olympic Torch Relay

by Redlats

Sure, I'll go. Please send the jet over to get me. Is speaking Dutch a prerequisite?

Re: Re: Olympic Torch Relay

by Imaniac

lolol Red - nahh A'dam is an international city - you can get away with speaking English.

BTW - I know your name. LOL