Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 RC, The Netherlands

Booking.com IHG Orbitz.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ajayzener's Profile Photo

Crown Plaza

I stayed in this hotel in the year 2006 Sep. The hotel is cosy and rooms are decently sized. The restaurant at the ground floor is of special mention as the food and ambience are both good. The stay was pleasant and the staff cordial. Overall a very nice stay.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

At The center

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is located right in the historic heart of Amsterdam. The Central Station, Dam Square, the canals, shops and museums are all very near to the hotel.Very nice and easy way to stay in Amsterdam.You dont need a taxi for returning to your hotel in the nights

• benvalo's Profile Photo

A higher priced hotel

I was lucky enough to stay here on my first visit, along with 14 other friends in several rooms. A group 'leader' booked everything over the internet at a last minute arrangement, so we were left with quite a good deal for 2 nights in a very smart (5*) hotel.

They allowed us to smoke in the rooms and we very accomodating with room service an general greeting in the mornings.

Unique Quality: Our room had no view of the city, just the dark sketchy looking alley running parallel to the hotel.

Directions: Walk right out of Centraal Station, turn left down Martelaarsgracht and follow the 'forked' road to the left ~ you should see the Crowne Plaza very shortly on this road.

• Best all around hotel in red light district

This hotel is overpriced during peak season, but if you show up in the off season, you can score a very nice room here for about 150 euros per night, high speed internet works well, if you stay in any room that ends in 01 i.e. 101, 201, 301 it is a HUGE room that is set on an angle offset from Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. You could set up you own window shop if you wanted to :-O Close to the train station, and all the main tram lines, walking distance to everything in the red light district. There is an absinthe bar, as well as a number of coffee shops on this street.

Unique Quality: Indoor pool, sauna and hot tub are KEY when you are wacked out of your mind, and trying to get down like Hunter S. Thompson. The staff is extremely professional and curteous... is there REALLY any business traveller in here? I'm not sure... The hotel restaurant is so-so, I was here during thanksgiving a couple years ago and I got a really good duck, since it seems turkey never caught on in europe...

• annarborsef's Profile Photo

Great Holiday Inn property

Nicely appointed rooms and very good city centre location. Short walk to the red light district, central station and Dam, yet quiet.

Unique Quality: Great indoor swimming pool, sauna and health club. Priority club business rooms are very spacious.

Directions: From Centraal Station main entrance, cross over canal & take first right @ Hotel Victoria (Prins Hendrikkade). Take first left onto Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. Hotel is on left just a few meters down the street.

• eurotravels's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza

The price has gone up a lot over the last few years, and I would say dont expect change from £100/160 Euro a night for a double room. The best deals will be Weekender plus at certain times of year (eg Jan-Feb). Last time we stayed there we saved money by taking room only and having breakfast at Dimitri's Cafe Prinsenstraat 3 (tel 627-9393). It was a few minutes walk and the fruit and muesli and cooked breakfast were delicious and good value.

Unique Quality: Rooms and breakfast of the standards that you would expect of a Crowne Plaza and in a central location for the old town.
    It may not be so suitable for anyone who likes to get away from the revelry as it is close to the Damrak and so lots of tacky stores and sex shops.

Directions: Nieuwezijds Voorburgwall - at the end nearest to Central Station

More about Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

The American Hotel (formal...

by AdHocTravel

The American Hotel (formal name now Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- American) Very nice rooms, a bit pricey but great location. Would stay there again in a minute.

Don't tell the cab driver you want to go to the Crowne Plaza (there is one by Centraal Station) tell them to go to 'The American Hotel' that is the name it is known by in town.

It is not like Crowne Plaza hotels in the US!

Not a good value for the price I paid -- though I was having a hard time looking for nicer hotels at reasonable rates for early Sept. The ceilings are low, and the room, bed and decor was below average. The robe was a nice touch, but towels were horrible. They were thin and cheap -- like the ones you get at the gym. The hairdryer was not in the bathroom but in one of the drawers in the room. I liked the fact that it is very close to the Centraal Station (8-10 min walk) so didn't need to take trams with my luggage. I was glad that the room I was given on the 1st floor (2nd flr to Americans) was facing a little side street, which was quiet during the night. A/C was ok though a bit on the noisy side. Appreciated the complimentary 2 bottles of carbonated water, which were replenished every night (wonder if it was because I'm a Priority Club member). Although I wouldn't say my stay was horrendous, next time I'm in Amsterdam, I'll try other hotels.

You've got to be joking ...

It was exactly a year ago that my husband and I went on vacation with my mother. And as she had recently been widowed and it was her first time abroad without my dad ... we decided to "play it safe" and stay in a hotel that had international standards. Being a member of the Intercontinental's Priority Club ... and the Crowne Plaza cooperating with them ... we were pretty sure we were in good hands. We booked our stay with four weeks notice and specially requested to have two rooms next to each other ... or at least as close to each other as possible. Not only did we send this request on e-mail ... but also called the hotel a week before our arrival to make sure they didn't forget.
To cut a long story short ... when we arrived we found out that not only were our rooms not next to each other ... but literally as far apart as possible ... on different floors and opposite ends of the hotel. Why we didn't leave immediately, I don't know ... but we went upstairs with our luggage and opened the doors to a room stinking of old, stale smoke. In panic I tried to make the best of the situation and went right to the window to let in some fresh air. --- But, no ... there was no way of opening the windows. I called the desk ... and informed them that there was something terribly wrong with the windows ... but was told that they weren't supposed to open. I was speachless when I put the phone down and my brain was desperately trying to find a silver lining to this situation. I sat down on the bed ... and noticed a chocolate bar on the pillow. Simultaneously I saw my mother staring at the tiles in the bathroom that were not just dirty but had mould. In desperation I grabbed the chocolate and said; "Hey, let's have some chocolate ... that always helps". I quickly unwrapped it and was about to hand a piece to my mother when I saw it was definately long past expiry date; with big, white, dry dots all over it. It certainly did occur to me that maybe my brothers were playing a trick on us ... this was some kind of a practical joke ... or maybe we had just got caught on Holland's candid camera show. This was just too absurd to be true. --- So I went down ... and asked to talk to whoever was in charge. The girl in the reception went into the office and a minute later a man came and asked if he could help. After politely and calmly telling him that just about everything was wrong ... he said our rooms were "as good as they get" and there was really nothing he could do for us. (I truly was both calm and polite ... remember, I thought this had to be candid camera). I asked him if moulded tiles sounded like four stars to him ... and he insisted that they deserved each and every star they had. By that time ... I couldn't care less about the possibility of the candid camera ... and handed him the "four star chocolate" and asked him to eat it. I then told him that I couldn't believe that the Intercontinental would actually accept them as their "partners" ... and one thing was sure; we were not staying there a minute longer. On my way up to get my husband, mother and luggage I prayed that I would be able to get rooms somewhere else. I called the Amstel Intercontinental ... got two the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen ... excellent rates ... the best and most friendly service I have ever experienced. It was heaven on earth!

please help choose b/w these 3 hotels...

by phoebetoes

holiday inn ijmuiden seaport, crowne plaza amsterdam schiphol, courtyard by marriott ams airport... i know not the best choices, but they "come with the package..." thanks!

RE: please help choose b/w these 3 hotels...

by pieter_jan_v

Crowne and Marriot Schiphol are the easiest to get to and to visit Amsterdam.
Crowne has 1 star over Marriot.

Ijmuiden is an Inn (3 star?) and will be nice if you love the beach (but there's a big steel mill up North).

PJ