Delta Hotel City Center

Rated Lower than similar hotels. See Hotels with Better Ratings

vichatherly's Profile Photo

Cheap & Cheerful, Great Location

by written on March 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night in February 2012. I didn't have a room for the night, but my mate had booked a twin room and so I decided to join him and decided not to both giving the hotel anymore administration to fill out.

I just sneaked past the late night concierge. It was supposed to be a twin room, but ended up as the smallest room I have sen for a while and therefore only had one bed. My make made the honorable decision to sleep on the floor. he insisted ... honest.

He had to leave early for his flight, and so I had the extra benefit of pretending to be him over breakfast.

Unique Quality: It suited our needs for a simple bed for the night. No frills.

Directions: A short walk from the Central Station on the way to Dam Square. Next to Hooters.

Dirty and Dangerous!

by written on February 1, 2011

The room smell tirrble. The towel still sticked with other guest's blood drop and vibrissa! The heater is on full, but the room still cold. Asked the front desk to change. The girl said a lot of sorry, but said she had no room in hand. Asked her to cancel and I look for other hotel. She said ok, but we will not return the money to you. Then i asked for the higher manager to help her. She said she was the only one in the hotel for the night. I had to stay there. I thought it was just one night, i can manager. But... in the night, someone try to open my door. I speek loudly:"WHO?" The the guy left without any answer. I kept my eye open the whole night, and cold, and terrible smell!
Why the Hotel.com didn't tell me the cheap hotel is like that! Dangerous! If next time, you booked a hotel, but actually they sent you to some sweatshop....

Unique Quality: All ***.

So good i wrote a review...

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 22, 2008

We stayed at Delta Hotel on the Damrak, number 42 (the main strip) from 19th March'08 till 21st March for my hen do.
Not much to look at from the outside but inside it was like a 5* hotel!

Cost:
6 of us shared an 8 bed room for 2 nights at £42 per person, including breakfast both mornings.

Location:
Our room faced the canal and main Damrak strip, the front of the hotel. 10mins walk from Dam Square and not much further away from the nightlife of the bars and nightclub 'Escape'. Perfect location.
canal boat rides were opposite us and we were central to all the shops and coffee shops.

Food:
The food was excellent and the staff were brilliant in the hotel resturant downstairs. As a guest you get 10% off meals and drinks too- remember to show your room key!!
Drinks are allowed to be taken upstairs. Resturant was very clean, you can watch them cook as the kitchen is open. Its also open to passers by for food so its not just guests eating there but we had no trouble with finding a table and they are very accomodating for larger parties (moving tables around etc)

Breakfast was included in price. Bacon, eggs, beans, toast, yogurt, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee etc.

Lunch served until 4pm, baquettes etc.

Dinner, open till 11pm, was excellent. 9.25 euros for spagetti bolognase for example, huge serving too!
6 euros for large bottle of water, 3 for hot chocolate with cream - delicious!

Rooms:
VERY comfortable, huge pillows, proper quilts, white linen, no itchy blankets! Good towels, replenished if needed. Very clean. Double doors open onto balcony, can lean out but not big enough to stand on. Smoking was allowed in rooms.
Bathroom was big, open shower/wet room. 6 mirrors in room,
TV with music channels and english subtitles (not that you would want to stay in much, but good for a lazy morning!!)
Desk, wardrobe, bedside tables, sofa and table and safe box in room. Excellent room , would highly reccomend.
be warned thou....if you are not a smoker you may not appreciate the stale smell of smoke in the room! But the double balcony doors are a blessing, and if youre going to smoke in the room anyway it doesnt matter!
our room was cleaned, there made our beds and tidied towels etc but left all our clutter where it was which was great! Didnt have to tidy things away before going out.

Directions: Central station 10mins away on left as you leave hotel, go right for Dam square.

oh god... the cockroaches!

by written on April 18, 2007

right. im not fussy about where i live, the state of my house is testament to that. However, i draw the line at cockroaches... we saw two, we named them fred and george. What was really upsetting was the way we were treated. we ventured down to complain, and try and get a room change, and were basically told that all the rooms were infested. Furthermore, we were treated like absolute idiots for even considering it as an issue. we were refused a room change, and not offered any compensation. I am (as a law student who likes to fight injustice!) now in the process of placing an official complaint, and researching the health and safety laws of the EU.
In addition to this, both myself and my long suffering travel partner were ridden with bites, which i have since found out are pretty much from bed bugs.

in conclusion, dont stay there. note that, when doing a google search on 'cockroach', and 'amsterdam hotel', the delta hotel is the first result of millions... maybe it was a bad idea to book blind and not do my research.... booooo to the delta hotel...

Unique Quality: ermmmm.... there was a plethora of attractive men and women on reception. beauty does not equate to good service, but it's something to focus on when your world is spinning...

Directions: bang in the centre... its the only positive point..

Big_Jake's Profile Photo

Good place to lay your head

by written on August 20, 2006

It has a reasonable price and is centrally located to most of the city center. If you are just looking for a place to rest in-between your adventures then this is a good place for it. It was clean and had a newly remodeled bathroom with a great shower. The shower pressure was outstanding and hot water was in abundance. Maid service was good and the restaurant stays open late with decent priced and tasty food. When you make a reservation, be specific if you want your room to have a view!

Unique Quality: The location is what makes this place very appealing. Its a few hundred meters away from the station and the red light district. There is an internet cafe about a hundred meters towards the station, and the canal rides are a few hundred meters past the station too.

Directions: a few hundred meters away from the station in the city center

carinam's Profile Photo

Great location

by written on April 7, 2006

This hotel is basic but clean . The guys on the desk were very helpful and friendly. A very touristy locale but excellent for train ,trams,canal buses. Around the corner from main shopping street and De Kuil coffee house .

Directions: From train station straight out along Damrak @ 5mins . Opp large Grasshopper Pub/coffee house

bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo

Amsterdams Biggest Dump

by written on April 16, 2005

On the plus side, its in the central of town,it has a good resturant next door and its very near the Central station.Err thats the good points.Bad points and there are a lot.A group of eight checked into four seperate rooms each had their own problem.My room was dimly lit,stank of pooh,the floor was dirty and the bedsheets looked like they had not been washed in days,the room also was covered with flies.My friends Tony and Courtneys room had dried blood on the doorhandle and walls, it too was dimly lit.We were on the ground floor our view consisted of a wall.Alan and Ians first room had been broken into so they moved elsewhere.John and Daves room had cockroaches living with them and it was so small that they were nearly sleeping with each other!
Breakfast was another terrible endevour the eggs were cold and most of the food looked either gone of or mouldy.the lifts were small,the carperts were covered in blood on most floors.After reading comments on this website i thought it would never be that bad,it was worse!I
its supposed to be three stars and eighty euros per night.Thats a lie!When you leave you have another 13 euros to pay for a inner city charge.

Unique Quality: If you like Flies,dried Blood,Cockroaches and tales of mice,come here.
To be fair it did have breakfast included in the price and it was very central.The hotel has such potential its just a shame it doesnt Deliever.

Directions: From central station continue striaght on.

Our stay was fine

by written on September 29, 2004

I had not done any research into Delta Hotel in Amsterdam City Centre until after I booked the the Holiday, feedback from various sites was not good on this hotel and I went to the Dam a little apprehensive about staying there. We did however, have no problems staying there, our triple room was quite big, clean and comfortable. The hotel is located practically on Dam Square so it's a good starting location. The staff were all quite friendly with us and made us feel welcome, we ventured into the Hotel's restaurant as well for the final night which served us some nice basic food.

Directions: Dam Square

paulajuezperez Oct 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

El peor hotel en el que estuve. Pésima relación precio calidad, mugroso, alfombras manchadas, bolsas tiradas en el piso, cortinas rotas, baño que se inunda, ascensor diminuto, ventanas descascaradas. Un horror. Además de una pésima atención al huésped. No lo recomiendo. No es un tres estrellas, creo que apenas podría considerarse una pensión. Por lo que cuesta resulta una estafa.

Delta Hotel City Center

• Restaurant
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews