3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 176 -180, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 SJ, The Netherlands

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 74% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Forever at the Palace

It seems Die Port van Cleve has been forever at the location opposite the Royal Palace. I remember Sinterklaas en Christmas events at the hotel more than 50 years ago.
    History starts at 1864 when G.A. Heineken opened his first Heineken brewery on this location.
    In 1870 the Hulscher brothers opened a beer house called "De Hooiberg". but that was changed into "Die Port van Cleve", a name that came from a memorial wall tablet found during the reconstruction of the building.
    In 1879 the building was one of the first to get electric lightning making the place very wanted by the public.
    In 1880 an adjacent building was added and since 1887 known as Bar-Bodega "De Blauwe Parade", with a large Delft Blue tile fresco.
    In 1888 the façade was renovated in the Dutch neo-renaissance style.
    The restaurant was very popular and the steaks that were served are legendary.

Directions: Opposite the Royal Palace. Next door to the Magna Plaza shopping mall.

• Hellfirejen's Profile Photo

Be careful of this one!

We chose Port Van Cleve last time we went to Amsterdam. The hotel is in a good location and looks great from the outside. When we went to check in we were told that our room was on the first floor. We got our key and we upstairs, and then downstairs, down some creaky little passageway. When we got to our room, (i think there were two or three down there), it was tiny. The bed almost took up all of the room, the bathroom ceiling tiles were mouldy and there was mould on the shower. The wallpaper in the bedroom was peeling off and there were two spiders on the wall. The view out of the window was of some back alley with industrial pipes. We paid about £100 for one night, so we're not happy with this.

Admittedly, I went up to complain about it to the receptionist and asked to be moved, it took them a while of saying they had no none smoking rooms left, and then no double smoking rooms, I told them that a twin smoking would do, anything but I was not staying in that one, and they eventually moved us. Now, this room, was like a damn palace! It was front facing and had a huge window overlooking the street. The room was huge, the bed (a double, after saying it would be a twin room) was huge and comfy, and the bathroom was about the size of the room they had originally put us in!

All I can assume is that as we were only staying a night, and due to our ages (early 20s) they thought that they could get away with putting us in a crappy room. I wouldnt stay here again, because of the attitude of the receptionist and the price, but if you have a room booked, just make sure to state that you dont want the basement option!

Directions: Next to the Magna Plaza

• minicooperdownunder's Profile Photo

Close to everything AMsterdam has to offer

Stayed here one night only November 6 2007 as the hotel I originally booked didn’t have a room for me and put me here for the first night. The hotel in a great location, close to Dam Square, Red Light District, Anne Frank House, main railway station and most other things that you want to see when you are in Amsterdam.

There is public transport right outside the hotel and I didn’t hear any noise from it mainly because I had one of the inner rooms that only has a small window that looks out across a courtyard to another room, although if you stuck your head out of the room and looked right you could see the outside world.

I had room 526 which was on the very small side so small that the closet for your clothes didn’t have a hanging rail just hooks that you hung your clothes on as it wasn’t deep enough to take clothes on the normal way. The room was clean and well equipped LCD TV, comfortable bed but virtually no where to store anything or sit down except at a very small desk. Can’t comment on value for money as I only paid the rate for the hotel that couldn’t accommodate me for my first night.

The hotel staff were friendly and efficient and were able to answer the questions I had. Not sure I would want to spend much time in my dark, tiny room, but I guess if you are in Amsterdam you are not spending much time in your room anyway.

Directions: Close to everything the average tourist would want to be near in Amsterdam

• AnnS's Profile Photo

Not 4* Accommodation

I booked this hotel because it's in a very central location and I got a single room for 75 euros a night, which seemed very reasonable for a 4* hotel. However, when I got there, I was disappointed to find myself in the smallest single room I've ever seen. Also, facilities that I would expect as standard in a 4* hotel, e.g. minibar, coffee-maker, trouser press, were "on request", whatever that means. There was hardly enough room to turn round but I decided to settle for it because I didn't plan to spend much time in my room.

As I'd arrived late, I wanted to eat in the hotel's restaurant but it was closed. However, they served me a meal in the bar and it was quite nice. Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate and was very expensive so I went out and found a nice cafe instead.

The hotel's location was perfect, very close to Dam Square, but I'd rather have been a little bit further away and have more space and better facilities.

• LaraChrissi's Profile Photo

Excellent Location

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay (2-5th December 2004) to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I would reccomend this hotel for the location. You can walk just about anywhere in central Amsterdam from the hotel. There is also a tram stop right outside the door and a 5 minute walk to the Canal Buses. On the downside the room was very small, but it was however clean, which is much more imortant than space! I would definately stay here again but on the sole reason of its location. We booked through expedia and got a great deal, in the hotel rooms were advertised as 295 euros per night - definately not good value for money!

Unique Quality: Location, Location, Location...

Directions: Sooooo easy to find! Everywhere to see is in walking distance! Fantastic city!

More about Die Port van Cleve

small luxiery hottel in...

by orenmal

small luxiery hottel in bergmach- gave a sucha happiness for a long time- and it was just a little bit outside our budget.
on the contrary- die port van cleve in amsterdam is a 4 stars hotel that will cost more then double in is worth less then half- it is good because it is in the middle of the city...
a bit expensive- but not as much as it is worth... private terace- hugh rooms. great menu...

Perfect Minibreak Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member summers_slayer

The Die Port Van Cleve is an excellent hotel.

I stayed here from 17th – 20th June 2005 and while the room was a little small, which I’m finding is usual for Europe, the bedroom and the bathroom were both spotless. There wasn’t a view, but I was hardly in the hotel, so it wasn’t a missed necessity.

The hotel staff were very friendly and advised me on the little day to day things that no-one wants to admit they don’t know, like how to buy tram tickets, how to get to certain places and you can book a large variety of tours at reception as well.

A few tips would be:
1. The hairdryer is awful, so if you’ve long hair, bring your own.

2. There were only 4 hangers in a double room, but if you call reception, they’ll bring you more up.

3. The double bed was 2 singles pushed together so be careful you don’t fall down the middle.

4. If you’re not an early riser, put the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on as housekeeping will be knocking on your door any time after 8am. Then change it to the ‘Clean Room’ side when you leave so you don’t miss out on getting your fresh towels.

5. It was a little warm as the room had no air conditioning, but you can open the windows and if there’s not already one there, you can request a fan from reception.

6. The bar is gorgeous and again has very friendly staff, but drinks are a little pricey so stop at O’Reillys round the corner if you fancy a cheap nightcap. Come out of the hotel, turn right and its near the corner of the 1st street on your right.

7. I got a last minute deal so didn’t have breakfast, but again O’Reillys was great for a fry-up, but the hotel restaurant while quiet was pretty fancy and again spotless.

The location was fantastic. It is 3 minutes walk from Dam Square, 5 minutes from the Damrak, (where you’ll find the great pub, Taras Irish Bar) 10 minutes from Red Light District and about 15 minutes from Leidesplein, which is great to walk through but a bit of a tourist trap with food and drink prices!

I have read some not so great reviews about this hotel, but I found it brilliant value for money, but I wouldn’t pay full price for it, so do check around for a deal.

Good Hotel, Brilliant Locaction

I stayed here in Feb 05. We got a great deal on the internet. The best think about this hotel is that it is literally 5 mins from everything. Dam square is less than 30 seconds away from the door step and Anne Franks house is just around the corner. Ok the hotel isn't what i would say a four star hotel would be like back home, but its great if you are only using it as a place to rest at night. If i was going to go back to amsterdam i would def stay there again.

Airport to Die Port van Cleve Hotel

by Kyee

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how to get from Schiphol airport to Die Port van Cleve Hotel? The hotel is located on N Z Voorburgwal 176-180.

Thanks,
Kyee

RE: Airport to Die Port van Cleve Hotel

by pieter_jan_v

If you are light packed you could go by train and walk the 15 minutes from the station. Straight to the DAM square from the station and take a right. The hotel is behind the Royal Palace.

A better alternative (also keep the weather in mind) is a shuttle mini van; see:

PJ

RE: RE: Airport to Die Port van Cleve Hotel

by Igraine

If you dont like walking you can also take the tram. Not everyone likes walking as much as you do PJ!!

Tram 1,2, 5 and 13.