Die Port van Cleve

See Amenities
pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Forever at the Palace

by written on October 13, 2013

It seems Die Port van Cleve has been forever at the location opposite the Royal Palace. I remember Sinterklaas en Christmas events at the hotel more than 50 years ago.
History starts at 1864 when G.A. Heineken opened his first Heineken brewery on this location.
In 1870 the Hulscher brothers opened a beer house called "De Hooiberg". but that was changed into "Die Port van Cleve", a name that came from a memorial wall tablet found during the reconstruction of the building.
In 1879 the building was one of the first to get electric lightning making the place very wanted by the public.
In 1880 an adjacent building was added and since 1887 known as Bar-Bodega "De Blauwe Parade", with a large Delft Blue tile fresco.
In 1888 the façade was renovated in the Dutch neo-renaissance style.
The restaurant was very popular and the steaks that were served are legendary.

Directions: Opposite the Royal Palace. Next door to the Magna Plaza shopping mall.

Hellfirejen's Profile Photo

Be careful of this one!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 7, 2009

We chose Port Van Cleve last time we went to Amsterdam. The hotel is in a good location and looks great from the outside. When we went to check in we were told that our room was on the first floor. We got our key and we upstairs, and then downstairs, down some creaky little passageway. When we got to our room, (i think there were two or three down there), it was tiny. The bed almost took up all of the room, the bathroom ceiling tiles were mouldy and there was mould on the shower. The wallpaper in the bedroom was peeling off and there were two spiders on the wall. The view out of the window was of some back alley with industrial pipes. We paid about £100 for one night, so we're not happy with this.

Admittedly, I went up to complain about it to the receptionist and asked to be moved, it took them a while of saying they had no none smoking rooms left, and then no double smoking rooms, I told them that a twin smoking would do, anything but I was not staying in that one, and they eventually moved us. Now, this room, was like a damn palace! It was front facing and had a huge window overlooking the street. The room was huge, the bed (a double, after saying it would be a twin room) was huge and comfy, and the bathroom was about the size of the room they had originally put us in!

All I can assume is that as we were only staying a night, and due to our ages (early 20s) they thought that they could get away with putting us in a crappy room. I wouldnt stay here again, because of the attitude of the receptionist and the price, but if you have a room booked, just make sure to state that you dont want the basement option!

Directions: Next to the Magna Plaza

minicooperdownunder's Profile Photo

Close to everything AMsterdam has to offer

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2008

Stayed here one night only November 6 2007 as the hotel I originally booked didn’t have a room for me and put me here for the first night. The hotel in a great location, close to Dam Square, Red Light District, Anne Frank House, main railway station and most other things that you want to see when you are in Amsterdam.

There is public transport right outside the hotel and I didn’t hear any noise from it mainly because I had one of the inner rooms that only has a small window that looks out across a courtyard to another room, although if you stuck your head out of the room and looked right you could see the outside world.

I had room 526 which was on the very small side so small that the closet for your clothes didn’t have a hanging rail just hooks that you hung your clothes on as it wasn’t deep enough to take clothes on the normal way. The room was clean and well equipped LCD TV, comfortable bed but virtually no where to store anything or sit down except at a very small desk. Can’t comment on value for money as I only paid the rate for the hotel that couldn’t accommodate me for my first night.

The hotel staff were friendly and efficient and were able to answer the questions I had. Not sure I would want to spend much time in my dark, tiny room, but I guess if you are in Amsterdam you are not spending much time in your room anyway.

Directions: Close to everything the average tourist would want to be near in Amsterdam

AnnS's Profile Photo

Not 4* Accommodation

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 31, 2007

I booked this hotel because it's in a very central location and I got a single room for 75 euros a night, which seemed very reasonable for a 4* hotel. However, when I got there, I was disappointed to find myself in the smallest single room I've ever seen. Also, facilities that I would expect as standard in a 4* hotel, e.g. minibar, coffee-maker, trouser press, were "on request", whatever that means. There was hardly enough room to turn round but I decided to settle for it because I didn't plan to spend much time in my room.

As I'd arrived late, I wanted to eat in the hotel's restaurant but it was closed. However, they served me a meal in the bar and it was quite nice. Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate and was very expensive so I went out and found a nice cafe instead.

The hotel's location was perfect, very close to Dam Square, but I'd rather have been a little bit further away and have more space and better facilities.

LaraChrissi's Profile Photo

Excellent Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 6, 2004

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay (2-5th December 2004) to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I would reccomend this hotel for the location. You can walk just about anywhere in central Amsterdam from the hotel. There is also a tram stop right outside the door and a 5 minute walk to the Canal Buses. On the downside the room was very small, but it was however clean, which is much more imortant than space! I would definately stay here again but on the sole reason of its location. We booked through expedia and got a great deal, in the hotel rooms were advertised as 295 euros per night - definately not good value for money!

Unique Quality: Location, Location, Location...

Directions: Sooooo easy to find! Everywhere to see is in walking distance! Fantastic city!

Nearby Die Port van Cleve

Die Port van Cleve

• Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
  • Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam

Address: Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 176 -180, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 SJ, The Netherlands

6 Photos of Die Port van Cleve

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews