Dikker And Thijs Fenice Hotel

Prinsengracht 444, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1017 KE, The Netherlands

Dikker & Thijs Fenice Hotel
Travelocity Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• The worst and most disappointing hotel of our trip

They called this place 4 star. Why? Can you see four stars if you crane your neck from the balcony on a good night? There certainly wasn't anything 4* about the accommodation, location or service. You can't actually stand on the "romantic balcony" as it wasn't even as wide as one of my shoes. Its actually just a window but with a bit of brick tacked on to it to waist height. The linen and the lobby were the only clean things about the hotel - even the breakfast had dust on it. The lift doesn't have a door, and doesn't meet the floors properly, and there is no porter service or baggage trolley, plus the foyer is too small to even put a bag down without someone falling over it.

The bathrooms in both my and my friends room were mouldy, the toilet bowl had marks through it, the shower dripped all night, the tv didn't work, the cupboard had dust all through it, the carpets stank and had stains, it hasn't been repainted probably since it was built....it was disgusting. The restaurants nearby were fairly average but at least they were within walking distance, and one good point was that you could walk to Anne Franks house from the hotel....but its distance from everything else meant you still had to catch a taxi, so stay elsewhere and taxi to Anne Franks house.

Honestly, I would never ever stay here again, it was the most expensive and most disappointing part of our trip, we had been staying in homestays, hostels and budget hotels for eight weeks and this plus our hotel in Berlin were supposed to be our "luxury stays" - well our Berlin hotel was absolutely fantastic but this hotel was absolutely disgusting. You would be better off staying at a backpackers - they're cleaner and more helpful.

Unique Quality: Dirt. Broken facilities. Lack of anything remotely 4 star. No room service or restaurant. No pool. Okay view. Falsely advertised balconies.

Directions: Near Anne Franks House

• QuDee's Profile Photo

Excellent!

The hotel is excellent!! We were there from sunday to wednesday before easter – days I know to be not so busy in Amsterdam, so we got a great deal on the room: just €134 per night, for a huge doubleroom with a lounge/dining table by the huge corner bay-windows overlooking Prinsengracht and Leidsestraat.
    The room was clean and the decor tasteful - it's really spacious, which is unusual for old houses in Amsterdam!! It has an unbelievable view of the canal, and a really nice, and big bathroom (2 sinks and a tub).
    The room was located on the 3rd floor, so we were high enough up to also have a view over some of the roofs, (nice feeling of space and air), and to be able to have the window open, without being overwhelmed by the buzzing street below.
    There's a kettle in the room, and complimentary coffee/tea. Also a fridge-minibar (sodas, beer, alcohol), which we just took out, and used the fridge for our own drinks and food, bought at the local supermarket at a fraction of the price.

Breakfast is included, and the buffet is continental - they don't say that anywhere, which unfortunately is probably on purpose.
    But even without bacon, beans and fried eggs, there's plenty to choose from: white and dark bread, croissants, rolls and muffins. Various jams/marmelades, cheese with and without cuminseeds, ham and other cuts, yoghurt, cereals, and fruit. Different types of juice, cocoa and of course coffee, (with hot milk - yummy!), and teas.
    And the funniest thing: a pot of almost boiling water on a hotplate, and some curious boil-your-own-egg-dipping-basket-things (-and that's my short description!). Never seen that before!!

Security is good. I've been to Amsterdam before, and I've always stored my valuables in a safe, or held them close to my person where I went, and still felt a bit unsafe.
    At this place, I really felt I could relax, which was really nice! Of course one should never be careless, but I certainly felt I didn't have to watch out all the time.

Directions: The hotel is very close by Leidseplein and a short walk (even for lazy me) to the the museums. There's a tramstop for lines 1, 2 and 5 (from Centraal Station) right outside (stop called "Prinsengracht").

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Noisy! Who Cares?

As a regular visitor to Amsterdam I tend to vary the hotels that I stay according to the deals that I can get, which normally results in OK accommmodation (some more OK than others), but here kinda bucked the trend. For what I paid (booked through Expedia) this was an excellent hotel: decent sized room; well furnished; friendly and helpful staff; good central location (especially for Leidseplein) and with a tram stop virtually outside the front door; interesting features abounding in the public areas - yep all-in-all I was impressed. If I can get a similar deal next time this will be top of my list.

I've noticed that several people who have reviewed the Dikker and Thijs, here and elsewhere, often complain about the street noise - hey what's to complain about? There is a certain amount of street noise, what with being on the main drag to and fro' Leidseplein. But to my mind if you want to go to Amsterdam and not enjoy the City's unique sound then you are missing out on something essential - the dinging of the trams as they depart, the late-night revellers, the early morning cleaners: these are all part and parcel of the Amsterdam experience and if you're not knackered enough to get a good night's sleep despite the street's own particular lullabies then you just haven't "DONE" Amsterdam!!

Unique Quality: Unfortunately I didn't have a canal view room but the room I did have, overlooking Leidsestraat, was HUGE by Amsterdam standards. The location is great for enjoying the delights of Leidseplein into the (very) early hours and easy to find no matter what state you end up in. I have heard reports that breakfast is well worth having but being served sometime before lunch just didn't fit in somehow and so the in-room coffee making facilities sufficed to kick-start the day ;)

The hotel also has in-room WiFi which is the expensive T-mobile connection but I seemed to be able to connect without charge to somebody else's which was definitely a big plus!!

Directions: On the southern side of Prinsengracht, pretty much on the right hand corner of Leidsestraat.

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Great Location although better available...

I spent two nights in the Hotel Dikker en Thijs Fenice in Amsterdam with a friend before heading off to a wedding last month. The hotel was perfectly comfortable - I slept very well which was important and locationwise it was difficult to fault - only about 10-15 mins walking distance into the city centre and also well served by trams into the city.

The slight let down was that we were give a very ordinary room - which was not what the website had lead us to expect - perhaps because we needed a twin room and the double rooms are the ones that have been done up. It was on the pricey side at €195 for a twin room per night - although for the location it was excellent, as from the city it was very easy to pop back and get changed quickly or to drop off the fruits of our retail therapy.

Unique Quality: I chose it because I didn't want yet another chain hotel - I stay in so many that it was great not be to be another souless place. The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff were pleasant and helpful - and good at giving great tips for places to eat within a few minutes walk.

Directions: Just off the Prinsengracht

• Good hotel, great location!

Lovely European hotel right in the middle of Amsterdam. Tram lines outside the front door. Walk to the museums and Ann Frank house. Very good restaurant in the basement. Rooms are not fantastic, but perfectly nice and clean. Staff are very friendly. Ten minutes by tram to Central Station.

More about Dikker And Thijs Fenice Hotel

Fantastic value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Hotelwatcher

Got the room for 50 Euros a night through Bookings.nl. This included breakfast.
The room was large, spotless and faultless. My first floor room overlooked the main shopping street with a tram line, I thought oh no, sleepless nights BUT the complete opposite, very well soundproofed and quiet.
Two minutes from the Liedseplein and all the entertainment, a tram stop is 50 yards away which takes you to centraal Station in about 5-10 mins.
I won't hesitate to book this hotel again for future stays!

location, location, location

At the risk of increasing the popularity of this little gem, let me say what a delightful stay my wife and I had a couple of weeks ago.

You couldn't ask for a more convenient location for lodging in Amsterdam. There is a tram stop for tram lines 1,2, and 5 right in front of the hotel. The tourist information center (buy an Amsterdam Pass!!) is 150 feet away. We walked to the Rembrandt Museum, the Van Gogh Museum, a canal boat tour dock, and even walked to Central Station one evening.

Our room was pristine clean, good pressure and plenty of hot water, windows in room open, and the included breakfast included enough calories for a full day of touring (well, no beer calories at breakfast). Find those almost anywhere.

The staff is pleasant and informative.

So, don't stay here if its going to drive up the very reasonable rates, because my wife and I want to go back there for Queen's day in April 2007 and I want to stay in this hotel.

Great location but luke-warm service

by TripAdvisor Member Abrar

We stayed at a 3 star Tulip hotel in the same area last year and here this year and so can compare the two.

The location is great, the room we had was large, clean and well-presented. But I have stayed in better appointed 3 star hotels.

This hotel was let down by some of the staff not bothering to be friendly (bar one exception who actually smiled)- we were not even asked how our stay was! This was in stark contrast to the staff at the Tulip who seemed to make a point of being welcoming and bent iver bacwards to be helpful. The person who appeared to be the manager never even said hello.

The staff were certainly never rude and did resolve any problems that arose.

The other area of concern was breakfast. One person was charged with providing and maintaining everything (the 4 star Tulip had several people on hand). Although he worked hard, it was just impossible for him to keep up with replenishing things to food and cutlery kept running out. Furthermore, you had to boil your own eggs and make your own toast and there was no hot food at all.

These aspects spoil what could, and should, be a really good 4 star hotel.

Good location

This hotel has a very good location for tourism and I think it is very good value for money.

The hotel is right on a tram line. My room had double glazed windows and was quiet and very comfortable. But my friend's room did not have double glazing and he found it a rather noisy. So I would recommend asking for a quiet room.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Rickster1Surrey

We stayed at this Hotel in March this year and I must say its great . The location is superb, the room we had was enormous and overlooked a canal. The room was well heated in the cold weather. The staff were helpfull.The only downside was the breakfast which was very average. However overall this was a great place to stay

Short time in Amsterdam

Hello

My wife and I are visiting Amsterdam from 4 - 6 March. We'll have just one full day in the city, but of course we can stay up late on Friday and don't have to leave until around 5pm on Sunday.

What is the weather likely to be like in early March - I expect it will be quite cold?

We are staying at the Hotel Dikker en Thijs Fenice Hotel - does anyone have any experience of this?

How much is it for a taxi from the airport to this hotel - or is it better to take a bus or train?

We have told our children that we are going to Amsterdam to visit the museums and flower markets ;-) but we 'might' try to squeeze in a visit to a live sex show - any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance - I'm relying on VTers to help here!

Paul

Re: Short time in Amsterdam

by pieter_jan_v

The weather: Early spring. Can be chilly, a mild spring rain, a late winter storm. Your guess is as good as mine.

Your hotel must be ok. The Prinsengracht is my favorite canal to walk along and you are close to the ever busy Leidseplein.

Taxi fare will be at least Euro 40. If you travel light just take the train, single Euro 3,40 (+0.50). At the Schiphol Airport you also can buy a "strippenkaart", which you can use on the Amsterdam tram/metro/bus. See:

RLD:

You might consider going to Boom Boom Chicago.

PJ

by PaulEtherington

Many thanks PJ. I looked at Boom Chacago on the web and it looks v good - will try to fit in a lte night show.

by pieter_jan_v

Have a great time; it seems there's an opportunity for an Amsterdam VT-meeting almost every weekend.

For now, I have scheduled one for Feb. 20; sorry, I know that's too early for you to join.

PJ

Maybe next time Pieter!
Although I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times its a few years ago. And my memory of it is somewhat (er) hazy!
Looking forward to revisiting.
Many thanks for your advice

cheers