Dikker And Thijs Fenice Hotel

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Business Travel Food and Dining
See Amenities

The worst and most disappointing hotel of our trip

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 10, 2009

They called this place 4 star. Why? Can you see four stars if you crane your neck from the balcony on a good night? There certainly wasn't anything 4* about the accommodation, location or service. You can't actually stand on the "romantic balcony" as it wasn't even as wide as one of my shoes. Its actually just a window but with a bit of brick tacked on to it to waist height. The linen and the lobby were the only clean things about the hotel - even the breakfast had dust on it. The lift doesn't have a door, and doesn't meet the floors properly, and there is no porter service or baggage trolley, plus the foyer is too small to even put a bag down without someone falling over it.

The bathrooms in both my and my friends room were mouldy, the toilet bowl had marks through it, the shower dripped all night, the tv didn't work, the cupboard had dust all through it, the carpets stank and had stains, it hasn't been repainted probably since it was built....it was disgusting. The restaurants nearby were fairly average but at least they were within walking distance, and one good point was that you could walk to Anne Franks house from the hotel....but its distance from everything else meant you still had to catch a taxi, so stay elsewhere and taxi to Anne Franks house.

Honestly, I would never ever stay here again, it was the most expensive and most disappointing part of our trip, we had been staying in homestays, hostels and budget hotels for eight weeks and this plus our hotel in Berlin were supposed to be our "luxury stays" - well our Berlin hotel was absolutely fantastic but this hotel was absolutely disgusting. You would be better off staying at a backpackers - they're cleaner and more helpful.

Unique Quality: Dirt. Broken facilities. Lack of anything remotely 4 star. No room service or restaurant. No pool. Okay view. Falsely advertised balconies.

Directions: Near Anne Franks House

QuDee's Profile Photo

Excellent!

by written on April 11, 2007

The hotel is excellent!! We were there from sunday to wednesday before easter – days I know to be not so busy in Amsterdam, so we got a great deal on the room: just €134 per night, for a huge doubleroom with a lounge/dining table by the huge corner bay-windows overlooking Prinsengracht and Leidsestraat.
The room was clean and the decor tasteful - it's really spacious, which is unusual for old houses in Amsterdam!! It has an unbelievable view of the canal, and a really nice, and big bathroom (2 sinks and a tub).
The room was located on the 3rd floor, so we were high enough up to also have a view over some of the roofs, (nice feeling of space and air), and to be able to have the window open, without being overwhelmed by the buzzing street below.
There's a kettle in the room, and complimentary coffee/tea. Also a fridge-minibar (sodas, beer, alcohol), which we just took out, and used the fridge for our own drinks and food, bought at the local supermarket at a fraction of the price.

Breakfast is included, and the buffet is continental - they don't say that anywhere, which unfortunately is probably on purpose.
But even without bacon, beans and fried eggs, there's plenty to choose from: white and dark bread, croissants, rolls and muffins. Various jams/marmelades, cheese with and without cuminseeds, ham and other cuts, yoghurt, cereals, and fruit. Different types of juice, cocoa and of course coffee, (with hot milk - yummy!), and teas.
And the funniest thing: a pot of almost boiling water on a hotplate, and some curious boil-your-own-egg-dipping-basket-things (-and that's my short description!). Never seen that before!!

Security is good. I've been to Amsterdam before, and I've always stored my valuables in a safe, or held them close to my person where I went, and still felt a bit unsafe.
At this place, I really felt I could relax, which was really nice! Of course one should never be careless, but I certainly felt I didn't have to watch out all the time.

Directions: The hotel is very close by Leidseplein and a short walk (even for lazy me) to the the museums. There's a tramstop for lines 1, 2 and 5 (from Centraal Station) right outside (stop called "Prinsengracht").

johngayton's Profile Photo

Noisy! Who Cares?

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 14, 2007

As a regular visitor to Amsterdam I tend to vary the hotels that I stay according to the deals that I can get, which normally results in OK accommmodation (some more OK than others), but here kinda bucked the trend. For what I paid (booked through Expedia) this was an excellent hotel: decent sized room; well furnished; friendly and helpful staff; good central location (especially for Leidseplein) and with a tram stop virtually outside the front door; interesting features abounding in the public areas - yep all-in-all I was impressed. If I can get a similar deal next time this will be top of my list.

I've noticed that several people who have reviewed the Dikker and Thijs, here and elsewhere, often complain about the street noise - hey what's to complain about? There is a certain amount of street noise, what with being on the main drag to and fro' Leidseplein. But to my mind if you want to go to Amsterdam and not enjoy the City's unique sound then you are missing out on something essential - the dinging of the trams as they depart, the late-night revellers, the early morning cleaners: these are all part and parcel of the Amsterdam experience and if you're not knackered enough to get a good night's sleep despite the street's own particular lullabies then you just haven't "DONE" Amsterdam!!

Unique Quality: Unfortunately I didn't have a canal view room but the room I did have, overlooking Leidsestraat, was HUGE by Amsterdam standards. The location is great for enjoying the delights of Leidseplein into the (very) early hours and easy to find no matter what state you end up in. I have heard reports that breakfast is well worth having but being served sometime before lunch just didn't fit in somehow and so the in-room coffee making facilities sufficed to kick-start the day ;)

The hotel also has in-room WiFi which is the expensive T-mobile connection but I seemed to be able to connect without charge to somebody else's which was definitely a big plus!!

Directions: On the southern side of Prinsengracht, pretty much on the right hand corner of Leidsestraat.

morgenhund's Profile Photo

Great Location although better available...

by written on May 18, 2006

I spent two nights in the Hotel Dikker en Thijs Fenice in Amsterdam with a friend before heading off to a wedding last month. The hotel was perfectly comfortable - I slept very well which was important and locationwise it was difficult to fault - only about 10-15 mins walking distance into the city centre and also well served by trams into the city.

The slight let down was that we were give a very ordinary room - which was not what the website had lead us to expect - perhaps because we needed a twin room and the double rooms are the ones that have been done up. It was on the pricey side at €195 for a twin room per night - although for the location it was excellent, as from the city it was very easy to pop back and get changed quickly or to drop off the fruits of our retail therapy.

Unique Quality: I chose it because I didn't want yet another chain hotel - I stay in so many that it was great not be to be another souless place. The breakfast buffet was very good and the staff were pleasant and helpful - and good at giving great tips for places to eat within a few minutes walk.

Directions: Just off the Prinsengracht

Good hotel, great location!

by written on July 23, 2004

Lovely European hotel right in the middle of Amsterdam. Tram lines outside the front door. Walk to the museums and Ann Frank house. Very good restaurant in the basement. Rooms are not fantastic, but perfectly nice and clean. Staff are very friendly. Ten minutes by tram to Central Station.

Nearby Dikker And Thijs Fenice Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews