Estherea Hotel

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities

Best hotel in Amsterdam

by written on July 7, 2013

Stayed at the Estherea for a full week in June and can highly recommend it! Large, pleasant room with good light - easy to control temperature. Spacious bathroom with good water pressure and two sinks. Most comfortable hotel bed ever.
The breakfast is pricey - we enjoyed it twice but most mornings had the Dutch breakfast in our room. One order is plenty of food for 2 adults and affordable even when you add extra juice and coffee.
The staff was wonderful, accommodating and available. The free hotel map was more useful than either of the maps we paid 5 euros for at the Visitor's Center. Also, free WiFi, multiple hotel computers available and they'll even let you borrow an iPad for your room.
Perfect location - we walked everywhere - did use the tram a few times on "museum days" but the hotel is near the city center where all the trams go at some point.
I spent hours researching Amsterdam hotels prior to this trip - now I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Unique Quality: The staff was simply the best!

Directions: On the Singel canal, easy walk to city center, flower market, Anne Frank House, Museum of Amsterdam.

rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Very lovely hotel in a great location

by written on June 27, 2012

This is a really lovely hotel in a wonderful location. It sits overlooking the Single in a lovely old building. In shopping around, I also felt it was a good price for good quality, especially compared to many I looked at. The rooms were large and lovely with plenty of storage space, a desk, mini fridge and a sparkling bathroom. The lobby and guest lounging area are very comfortable, spacious and quite beautifully decorated. There is also a 24 hour coffee and tea (and frequently cookies) center which we all loved. The staff was very cordial and helpful. They do breakfast for an extra charge which I thought a bit much so we didn’t partake.
The location is easy walking distance to much of central Amsterdam and there is a tram line very close by.
Their rates are variable by day of the week and I am sure by season. We were there the week preceeding Easter so they were probably up a bit. For three nights for two of us was 646 EUR.

Unique Quality: Everything about the hotel was beautiful. Normally I hardly even notice reception areas and lounges but this one was so lovely. I have some photos in a travelogue of it that I think are worth a look.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Great canal location

by written on April 7, 2012

The Estherea hotel is housed in a typical Amsterdam canal house from the 17th century with a great original interior.
This four star hotel has 92 rooms.

Unique Quality: Close to the Nine Little Streets, Kalverstraat, Dam square, Begijnhof, Flower Market and Mint tower

Directions: At 15 minutes walking from the Central Station.

adema29's Profile Photo

Superb Hotel In Amsterdam-Estherea

by written on May 15, 2010

It was amazing to find such a special hotel in the middle of Amsterdam.
I was surprised even if my wife has shown me some images before our trip (she is actually the trip planner).
If I will go back in Amsterdam, I will book my accommodation 100% at Estherea. And this is not because of the free coffee or biscuits as all the others have mentioned.

Unique Quality: It is because of the unique atmosphere, beautiful rooms, cleanness, good breakfast, nice personnel, and beautiful view to the channel.
If you are lucky, as we were, you’ll get a penthouse room which is really sweet.

Directions: Only five minutes from the Dam Square

sandgrounder's Profile Photo

Quiet & Friendly Hotel yet Convenient for Centre

by written on April 7, 2008

I can highly recommend the Hotel Estherea. It is a medium-sized independent hotel on the Singel canal - a relatively quiet area with some good restuarants nearby but still less than 10 minutes walk from Dam Square. My wife and I stayed there last year to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We had a room facing the canal - it was so peaceful. The hotel is very relaxed, they do a good breakfast and have hot and cold drinks and cakes or fruit on the go in the lounge 24 hours a day. They dont do evening meals - but with so many good places to eat within easy walking distance that was no problem.

Unique Quality: Peaceful
Relaxing surroundings
Stylish and comfortable lounge and rest areas
Amazing tropical fish tank in reception
Canal setting
Convenient for centre and yet quiet

tashka's Profile Photo

Very nice, but not cheap

by written on October 8, 2007

The hotel is very close to the center and not far from the railway station, actually we walked all the way from the station with luggage (rolling our suitcases, of course, not carrying them! :)). It is a very cosy place with very friendly staff.

On the ground floor there is a huge and very beautiful aquarium, a very nice library, where you can sit and read newspapers or books, a bar and a restaurant. There is always free water, tea and coffee and even some cakes on the ground floor for the guests.

Some rooms have a canal view, which is very beautiful. But the windows of some rooms face the year, although the worse view can be compensated with a bigger room. The place is very quiet, you will have no trouble sleeping at night (if your partner doesn't snore, that is! :))

Unique Quality: The unigue features are the aquarium and the library. I've never seen anything like this in any other hotel before.

Directions: Take Singel from the station and you will find the hotel eventually on the left side.

dlparker's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 2, 2007

Thsi place was fabulous. Very nice lobby, great breakfast buffet. The rooms were nicely decorated. They were remodeling upstairs while we were there so there was quite a bit of noise, but from what the hotel tells me , they are putting in air conditioning.
The free coffee was a definate plus.
Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

travellightly0418's Profile Photo

Good but not Great

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 15, 2006

We stayed there for two nights in July, 2006. The public areas of the hotel are quite nice. The rooms, however, are not air-conditioned or ventilated at all unless you crank the windows open. Then you get street noise until midnight or later on weekends. The location is excellent, just a short walk from Dam Square and from the tram stop on Spui. Nice cafes just around the corner. The breakfast was 14.00 Euro and typical Dutch cold cuts, cheese, bread and what not. You can do better down the street, frankly. The host will give you a sales pitch for the canal cruises and sell you a ticket. They get a commission off the sale. The cruise is not bad, actually.

Unique Quality: Coffee, tea, biscuits, fruit, always available in the lounge.

Burns619's Profile Photo

Estheria: What's not to like?

by written on March 24, 2006

My wife abd i are frequent travelers to Europe. This summer we have again included Amsterdam in our trip. This will be only our third visit here. The last two times we stayed at the Estheria and we will this summer. I is ideally situated for us. Close enough to most important sights, yet on the quiet little canal. There are good restaurants close by and a nice pub up the street. The staff is gracious and helpful. We consider this our Amesterdam home. I almost hate to give a good write up because more people will start coming. I noted that the Hotel is already sold out over our June visit. Too much good press. So those of you who have criticized this hotel--keep it up. Your wrong but it might be good for the rest of us.

Unique Quality: Great views form Canal side rooms--conveniet to the nightlife but usually quiet--excellent restarants in the area--very clean--good breakfasts--my favotiye pub is 2 minute walk

jlanza29's Profile Photo

Simple, very basic !!!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2005

Ok....first thing is first !!! The best part of this hotel is it's location.....right behind the Royal Palace at Dam Square.......other than that it's a very typical European hotel....meaning very expensive and very crappy rooms !!!!....we paid for a room with three beds....and what we got was a room with one single bed and two beds stuck together making one queen bed...... the bathroom well it's ok for guys but not for ladies.....meaning very basic, not enough towels to go around and.....just plain.....I was coaxed by my peers to stay at this place...even more now I STRESS.......that's why I stay at VERY high END hotels......recommend this if it's with the guys, but not for couples, or families !!!!!

HeyMoFo's Profile Photo

Estherea - beautiful on the Singel Canal

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 20, 2004

We stayed here on our first trip to Amsterdam in 2000. We had a small beautiful room overlooking the Singel Canal. As liberal as Amsterdam is, we elicited a loud knock on our door asking us to extinguish our smokables. Close to all, just a 5-10 minute walk to downtown, shopping, and the Leidseplein - a lively tourist area.

Unique Quality: Close to great restaurants, bars, coffeeshops and all. Clean room with our own bathroom and shower. On the Singel Canal - very nice.

Directions: Near Spui - Tram stop. Pronounced (Spow - rhymes with cow)

Nearby Estherea Hotel

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews