Flores & Puck

Rietwijkerstraat 51, Amsterdam, 1059 VX, The Netherlands

More about Amsterdam

O'Donnell's Irish Pub - AmsterdamO'Donnell's Irish Pub - Amsterdam

the back deckthe back deck

We approached the musem from back sideWe approached the musem from back side

Musician emergingMusician emerging

cycling through the tunnels

by RichardLeSueur

Can you tell me if I can ride my bicycle through the tunnels, we are cycling
from St Malo in France to Amsterdam and my GPS has set a route that we go
through the westerschelde tunnel and Weg nar de Val tunnel ,is it possible

Regards

Richard

by royalempress

I'm not sure about your question but if the tunnels are like those in Switzerland and Austria I would not do it!!! They go on for miles and you can barely breath because of the fumes from the cars. In fact we had to put "inside air only" on in the car and still it was unbearable.

by pieter_jan_v

No, that's not allowed. Use the ferry from Breskens to Vlissingen (details in my email).

Also the Amsterdam tunnels are off limits to bicycles (there are free ferries at the Central Station).

PJ

by leics

I very much doubt you could bike along the Westerschelde tunnel (6.6km long) but the website :

www.westerscheldetunnel.nl/index.cfm?language=en (the English version)

is down at the moment.

I have never been through a long tunnel which has a cycleway, or allows cyclists.

by globetrott

maybe with an oxygen-mask and a large bottle of oxygen on your back ! ;-)
In Austria we have a funny book already about misleading and funny directions given by GPS !

by thelesueurs

I did not get your email, can you send it to thelesueurs@jerseymail.co.uk

by leics

Which email do you mean?

If a VT member has emailed you then you will find it by clicking the 'email' link at the top of this (and every page) when you are logged in.

If you mean that VT did not notify you of replies to your question, go to the 'settings' link and check you have ticked the box for a notiv=fication to your outside email.

You will only be notified for your first reply....you will have to keep checking the site for any further replies.

You will not be notified about replies to this thread if you are using a new VT username, as you seem to be. You should also write to feedback@virtualtourist.com and ask them to delete one account (include your passord to prove you are who you say you are). It's not usual to have more than one account.

by pieter_jan_v

Richard,

I forwarded the email (the original one was send to your previous VT nick name).

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Top bud

by feelthevibe

Amsterdam is so laid back on recreational use of marijuana (while not entirely legal) it is so nice to just sit and chill watching the world go by. Try to avoid the bulldog chain of coffe shops and get around to the more out of the way shops for example my favourites, Greenhouse(near the red light district) and Dampkring on handboogstraat just past Dam square. Both of these coffee shops have some quality buds and have won many awards for their troubles.

Take a canal tour. I'm not...

by Cramer_3

Take a canal tour. I'm not talking about one of those touristy, covered boats...I talking about a little motor boat with no cover. Its run by an expat Yank, and it can be booked at Boom Chicago at the Leidesplein (Dutchies, please pardon my spelling). Its a much better way to see the canals. All of the strange sights. Here's a recap of some of the weird things I saw:
* We had just checked into our hostel, and were trying to soak in Amsterdam. Well, the three of us were standing next to this busy street, and this guy was riding his bike while eating a burger. I don’t know if he got his wheels in the light-rail tracks or what, but he started to swerve around some. He could have pulled out of it, but he was intent on saving that burger, so he was contorting his whole body so that his burger wouldn’t fall. Sure enough, it caused him to wipe out. As fate would have it, his face fell right on the burger, the same burger which he was so desparetly trying to save. He stood up, and there was mayonnaise (what else?) all over his face. Thank goodness he wasn’t hurt, because then we could laugh our butts off.
* Later, in the same evening, the three of us are having a beer overlooking the Rembrantsplien (a nice big plaza with tons of neon…sort of a Dutch times square), and the group next to us and especially right next to Michelle, broke out in a fight, and not a TV fight, either. They were throwing beer mugs and even a table. Glass was shattering and Huge even got some shards in his skin. The weird part was that the police were there immediately, and they were so blase about the whole thing. They were trying to ask what happened, all while these guys are trying to get back at each other. In the States, those guys would have been on the pavement and cuffed in a New York minute, but not here. I think they should watch some episodes of “Cops” or something so they know how to handle that kind of situation right.
* The Dutch men have this thing with peeing in the street. I guess this is a a problem for some time, so the city has tried to combat it by installing porta-potties around the city. Of course these are not porta-potties that you and I are familiar with. These are four open-air urinals arranged in a sort of clover-like pattern with only a small partition blocking the view. No door, no nothing. It’s basically like peeing against a wall. Of course, we still saw a few Dutch men urinating all over the street anyway, onto bikes, and against random walls. Strange.

Amsterdam Tip

by Samarina

This is my favorite street . I hope come back again here. In this city very much a lot young people - 60%.
The people are liberated and friendly. At the air
fly aroma of freedom and ....of marijuana ))

Post office

by jo104

For us VT'ers very important to know the prices of postcard stamps
For Europe 69c
They only sold me a set of stamps sold in 5's

Open 9am-7pm Mon - Fri 9am - 12pm Sat
Main Post office Singel 250

"Lijst"-gevel (facade) in Amsterdam canalhouses

by Pavlik_NL

"Lijst" gevels are belonging to the most simple facades in the Amsterdam calahouses. Mostly it is used in front of a flat roofed building. "Lijst" means something like "frame" and is a straight (sometimes however richly decorated) horizontal line. When decorations are added one can speak about a hightened "lijst" facade and this style is often seen in A'dam.

Comments