Vossiusstr 46-47, Amsterdam, 1071 AJ, The Netherlands

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• WizeGurl's Profile Photo

Bring Ear Plugs and Sandals

This experience was a memorable one and I do not want to discourage anyone from coming here, but I do want to advise you on some tips.

1. Bring ear plugs. Like many hostels there is no lockout and they are serious. Through out the course of our stay people kept walking in and out of the room slamming the door. The door was set up to a spring that made it close automatically, so that was a pain. If you are a light sleeper, like my friend was, you will not be able to sleep, ever....

2. Bring shower slippers, thick ones. Though I thought the shower was clean in appearance, I couldn't bring myself to use it, and my sandals were too thin.

3. Bring a blanket. Yes, yes, it was December and it was damm right cold in that room, they did turn on the heat once the sun went down, but to me it was still cold. I slept in my coat.

Overall I would recommend it this hostel, we met a couple of people and they all say this is by far the best one they have ever been to.

Directions: Near Vondelpark, actually more like it's next to it. You can see the park from the room window.

• skid127's Profile Photo

Flying Pig Crap

The Flying Pig Palace boasts that it is the seventh best hostel in the world. Heh, the only way I would give it that ranking is if there were only 7 hostels in the world.
    Good thing we booked ahead of time and brough our conformation email, otherwise they wouldn't have let us in! The staff tried to rip us off in every way possible. We had to double check the math that the people behind the desk did, just to correct them from overcharging us by 60 euros! This is what happens when you let a bunch of stoners run a business.

Directions: near Vondel Park

• ani10881's Profile Photo

the Flying Pig

The hostel itself was pretty good- the room and bathroom were clean, the service was mediocre. I had issues with recovering some items left in a different room my first night there. I understand they can throw stuff out,-that's their prerogative, but they seemed pretty disinterested in helping out.

Unique Quality: I met some really very friendly people here....what is it about friendly Australians? :)
    Flying Pig serves a light breakfast, plus they have a bar (although I'm not a very good drinker).
    There's a cigarette machine, which I wrestled with for a while until it finally beat me.

Directions: Right next to the Vondelpark. You can take the 1,2,5 tram.

• stevie_jetski's Profile Photo

Cheap & simple

I stayed in a mixed dorm with 7 other people..we had a shared bathroom & toilet. Bunkbeds..ahhh...which were small but i didn't spend much time there :-)

Breakfast was included..the usual rolls and cheese etc...which is ok
    For lunch and dinner the kitchen and its facilities are available to cook your own food but i opted to eat out in style..hehe

Unique Quality: What makes this place special is the hostel lounge/bar..open 6pm till 2am (officially) I got a beer at 5am no problems...hehe....you are free to smoke whatever type of cigarette takes your fancy...u know what i mean ;-)

Its a place to chill out and chat with other travellers...many have tales of round-the-world-adventures which are great to listen to.

The hostel's workforce is made up of travellers passing through who've decided to stay awhile and work in the bar or cleaning to pay for their bed for the night.

Directions: Near Vondelpark, off Leisesplein

• dila's Profile Photo

the flying pig (Palace hostel)

prices 2002
    the flying pig (Palace hostel)
    single/twin (bathroom) 65 euro
    single/twin (basic) 55 euro
    triple (basic) 70.50 euro
    more information more persons on the site.

Unique Quality: vossiusstraat is nearby leidseplein
    and the museums.
    (they have another flying pig but i dont like that location much.nieuwendijk 100)
    i never slept here but have asked some tourists about it.
    i visite one time and found it a bit mesy.
    so some liked it here and some didnot.

Directions: near the vondelpark
    i think the nearby stop is hobbemastraat near the rijksmuseum it (is between the stop leidseplein and hobbemastraat)

• ucbwalker's Profile Photo

The Flying Pig Palace,...

The Flying Pig Palace, adjacent to the Vondelpark. They're a little short on showers, but this hostel has a very convivial bar in the basement with good (or at least kitschy) music playing nonstop. The location can't be beat - it's right next to a sprawling park, and just a heartbeat away from both Museumplein and Leidseplein.

• The flying pig

The flying pig
    Room for 1-2 people fl.90-110
    Bed in shared room with 4-26 people fl.25-39.50

Unique Quality: The Vossiusstraat location is near the Leidseplein, overlooking the Vondelpark.

Directions: Nieuwendijk 100 and Vossiusstraat 46-47