Garden View Bed and Breakfast

Stadionkade 70-1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

More about Amsterdam

cat houseboatcat houseboat

Dam SquareDam Square

Two orange bikes - be sure to get locks...Two orange bikes - be sure to get locks...

Café de Twee ZwaantjesCafé de Twee Zwaantjes

Schipol

by siegehudson

I shall be travelling from Manchester to Warsaw catching a connecting flight at Schipol. Could someone tell me are Schipol prices comparable to UK airport prices or would I be better doing my tax free shopping at Schipol?

by pieter_jan_v

Your flight(s) will be within the European Union, so with your gate pass you cannot buy taxfree. That's only for flights to destinations outside the European Union.

Prices will be comparable (probably the UK will be a bit cheaper). Most of the times it's the kind of items you can buy somewhere, not the price.

Happy travel,

and

by siegehudson

PJ Thank you for you prompt and useful answer. I shall probably buy a few things for myself in Manchester and then pick up some gifts for my nephews at Schipol. It's likely I shall be buying them something typically Polish too - whatever that may be???
Clare

by pieter_jan_v

I bought some Polish grammophone records last May in Krakow for my own collection. I have no idea what your nephew likes, but I recommend a visit to a street market. There are so-called Galerias or modern shopping malls with stores you will know from Manchester; not really a place to visit if you want to find something original.

by ATLC

In Poland you can buy baltic amber at very low prices. It is so beautiful and they make them into very nice jewelry. You will be spoiled for choice.

I also enjoyed the thin sausages and cheeses.

by dustmon

Jenever is a good choice for liquor drinkers from Amsterdam aitport (Dutch Gin, so to speak, but much better!)---some vendors have small bottles to use as presents---I always get a few for friends back home---

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Wheelchair Access -- Much to improve (2)

by afgcons

I couldn't agree more, "rhineroll" is 100% correct. We, my wife, my electric scooter and I have visited Amsterdam already 3 times and love it. I can no longer walk, not even stand up. We always stayed at the Ibis hotel right at the main (railway) station. You must reserve their one and only wheelchair adapted room well in advance . We get there from Shipol airport by train and leave the same way. You should reserve your train 24hrs in advance. But if you are nice, polite and persisting, explain that you are a tourist you'll get on the next train or the one after that (Note: ONLY at major train stations where they have a wheelchair loading ramp). Getting to Haarlem and Alkmaar was no problem. To get back to Amsterdam we told them upon arrival the approximate time of departure. We tried to get to Keukenhof and failed. There was no roll-on / roll-off transportation, neither from Haarlem nor from Leiden. On my first trip I used a "sub-compact" 94cm long 3-wheel scooter. With that I was able to go on a canal cruise. One cruise boat operator has or had one boat with a tiny electric / hydraulic wheelchair lift. Most major attractions in Amsterdam we were able to get in. We had to walk / roll to get there and back. Be prepared, take the wheelchair battery charger and an extension cord along with you. That way you can charge for an hour while your companion(s) rest. or in a restaurant while you eat. In Amsterdam I often rolled in the bicycle lanes because the sidewalk curbs are hard on the batteries and my back. Last point: Always be on the look-out for wheelchair accessible washrooms and use it if you find one. You might not find another one when you really need to!

Walk through the city or rent...

by chris_smit

Walk through the city or rent a bike and travel without a destination . Let your mind open and enjoy the beauty and ugliness. Give a close attention to all those different façade and people. If the city gets bored ask your self why you are walking on land below sea level. There are several places in and outside the city where you can experience this. Don't forget the Travelogues link for usefull url links right above.

House decorations/ names

by IceBear7

Years ago the streets in Amsterdam didn't have names nor numbers and often people didn't have surnames either. In addition many were not able to read or write. In order to identify where they lived the put often beautifully designed signs above their doors - and could tell people "I live in the house with the lade carrying two buckets". or "in the house with the bear".

Many of the signs can still be seen when walking through Amsterdam - so you should not only look at the beautiful gables but also the signs above the doors!

When houses were knocked down, many of the house signes were safed but put together in various open-air museums at different locations in the city, for example at the wall of the Historical Museum at the Sint Luciensteeg. There you see about 50 of the signs!

European Chocolate

by CoAir13

I am not much of a chocolate eater, but European chocolate is much better than anything you can buy in the states! I had to stop in this shop on Singel to buy Ethan Kit-Kats (sooooooooo much tastier than the ones here!), so I picked myself up a German candy bar with coconut in it! Very creamy....not too sweet! I think Americans ruin it with too much sugar!!

Amsterdam Tip

by Tom95South

Arriving for a weekend trip, not knowing that it was Queens Day (April 30). I step out of the train station and see a mountain of Heinekens. The whole country flooded into Amsterdam for the party. It was cool.

Comments