Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• annamukhrj's Profile Photo

Perfect location! Wonderful staff! Excellent room!

This hotel is perfectly located. I never once took transit (bus, tram, metro) anywhere around Amsterdam, all museums, shops, attractions were all walking distance (or atleast in my personal opnion) It was a 20 minute walk to Van Gogh for example, this hotel is so close to Centraal Station, barely 10 minutes walk to Anne Frank, and, well, just walking distance to everything.

Standard room I think is around 425euros a night, but becasue I bought it through expedia it only cost me around $900 for 7 night stay. The standard room I stayed in is worth the 425 euros though!

The hotel itself was fantastic. My room was amazing - very comfortable, free minibar!, awesome view onto the canal. I prepaid for my hotel stay on expedia, however, there was a mandatory 100EUR a night deposit which the hotel 'charges' your credit card for the amount for the entire stay upon checking-in. Creditcard is not actually charged though....the amount is put on hold and then released back on the credit card upon check-out. The staff was very friendly and nice!!!! The reception desk is in a small room though....but the staff seem to be very quick and efficient!
    A marvelous stay at the hotel! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a fabulous and comforatble stay in Amsterdam!!

Unique Quality: The hotel building was once a shippingwarehouse so the buidling is quite unique and different looking. Very beautiful!

The staff - EXCELLENT! and very friendly

The room - the best! I stayed in their standard room. The bed was so very comfortable! It helps that the minibar is free, especially after a long day of exploring!

Directions: Very close to Centraal Station.

• TERRIBLE HOTEL

I stayed in Grand Hotel Amrath/AMSTERDAM on the 18'th of November. Unfortunately, there was a leakage of sewage in my super deluxe room!!!! As a result of this, my laptop computer's bag and passport, some papers in this bag was damaged(I gave my laptop bag to responsible manager) . When i turned back hometown, i realized that my laptop's screen has breaken down too.Now I bought a new passport, a new laptop bag and gave my laptop to service for mending........ The responsible manager said that "we are very sorry and we will contact to you.we will compansate.Don't worry.............."and after then i gave my adress/e-mail/telephone etc. to him.Nobody contact to me in 15 days.And then one day an e-mail:
    Dear Mr. Durusu,
    First of all I would like to apologize for my late response and I hope I haven't caused you any inconvenience because of it.Other than that I am sorry to report to you that Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam is not inclined to offer you compensation for the damaged goods mentioned in our conversation and the e-mail you've sent us.The reason for this is that after you had vacated the room our staff thoroughly inspected the sewage leakage mentioned by you that morning and found out that no such thing took place in room #031 either before, during or after your stay with us. Instead they found that a great amount of soda was spilt on the carpet in the room. After cleaning this soda stain no sign of sewage leakage has presented itself.Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for my late response and the unfortunate situation you've been in while staying at Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam. If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
    Kindest regards,
    GRAND HOTEL AMRÂTH AMSTERDAM

THEIR LATE RESPONSE AND ANSWER IS REALLY AMAZING. I STAYED ONLY ONE NIGHT AND I WAS OUT ALL DAY. I CAME BACK MY ROOM AT MIDNIGHT TO SLEEP. SO SOMEBODY ENTERED MY ROOM AND SPILT A HUGE AMOUNT OF SODA. BECAUSE THERE WERE TWO BOTTLES OF SODA IN THE ROOM'S REFRIGERATOR.ALSO NOBODY(IF NOT MENTALLY DEFECTIVE) DAMAGE HIS OWN BELONGINGS.( ESPECIALLY IMPRORTANT THINGS LIKE LAPTOP(CONTAINS IMPORTANT FILES), PASSPORT ETC.) I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT KIND OF THING. FROM NOW ON, I WILL DO(LEGALLY SPEAKING)EVERYTHING FOR TAKING MY RIGHTS.

I RECOMMEND YOU THAT PLEASE SHARE THIS REVIEW WITH EVERYONE AND DON'T STAY IN THAT TERRIBLE HOTEL.

Unique Quality: NOTHING.
    RUDE PERSONNEL.

More about Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Province Noord-Holland, Alkmaar

by ATLC about Hotel Amrath

Brand new hotel, opened March 2005. Very good rooms and within 5 minutes walking distance to the charming center of Alkmaar. Limited secluded parking behind the hotel at 15 euro per day. Bicycles on loan. Breakfast buffet leave somewhat to be desired. Improve on the scrambled eggs because they were inedible.

Running in Vondelpark

by jjohnson22

Could it be the coffee shops? The bike riding lifestyle? Or the brick roads of the city center? No one was running on the streets of Amsterdam. My 3 guide books say nothing on the subject of running. Our smashing hotel staff suggest running in Vondelpark, the largest park in Amsterdam.
I take an easy-to-manage tram to Vondlepark. At 8:30 am, the park is serene and verdant. Runners are doing their thing! A 4K asphalt bike route and a dirt path ring the park (with straightforward signs to guide me.) While running, I spot a tree full of green parrots! The grand Filmmuseum of Amsterdam (with requisite café) is located mid-park. Stately homes on tiny canals line the perimeter. Some vintage Clash and New Order feels right as I circle the park a few times.
The Dutch, the tallest people on earth, are invariably fit and great looking. We see few cars in the city and nonstop bikes. People of all ages and manners of dress ride them. The bikes are often decorated with Mexican oilcloth bike bags. The fashion: think Eileen Fisher goes Scandinavian hippie princess. Men and women wear messenger bags of smart design; a jewelry of sorts.
The bike riders are patient with Karen (quirky art teacher and treasured old friend) and I as we inadvertently step into the bike lane (watch out!!) People seem relaxed, open and friendly. In a country where tolerance prevails and people are directly connected to their environment, who needs to run and run? Very often, we spot men with their children. Is there a saner work/family dynamic here?
Coffee shops are not the totality of Amsterdam. In fact, the Dutch smoke less marijuana per capita then Americans. Coffee shops have a diverse vibe and clientele. Many are quite civilized and economical. Others are filled with exuberant kids with unfortunate tee shirts.
When it comes to getting around, Amsterdam is the great leveler. The city is not built on a grid. The canals ring the city in a mind boggling manner. On any given corner, people from all walks of life can be found scowling at their maps. The coffee shops cannot be helping this effort!
We visit the Van Gogh Museum. Only 1 wing of the Rijksmuseum is currently open due to renovation. We take in the spectacular Rembrandts, still lives and Vermeers. The fantastic modern art Stedelijk Museum is also currently closed for renovation. Some of its art can be found in the Van Gogh Museum.
We thoroughly enjoyed:
-The Museum of Bags and Purses/The Tassenmuseum–bags from the 1500’s to modern times. Words fail to describe these treasures!

-We caught Public Enemy at the opulent art deco Tuschinski Theatre.
-The Hermitage/Amsterdam, opened in 6/09, is an airy space filled with riches from the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. I was especially taken by the czarina dresses; sumptuous velvets with mirrors and to-die-for embroidery.

-The Amsterdam Public Library, the largest public library in Europe, was built in 2007 by Joe Coenen. This place defines visionary architecture.

-The markets- Albert Cuypmarkt, Westerstraat

-The FOAM contemporary photography museum

We relished the Netherland’s hearty bread, butter, cheeses and apple cake. Terrific Asian (Thai, Indonesian, Surinamese and Chinese) restaurants can be found everywhere. Most restaurants and stores do not accept credit cards.

Our magnificent hotel, the Grand Hotel Amrath, served for a decade as a major shipping office. It is replete with high ceilings, art nouveau décor, charming canal views, a fabulous pool and a FREE minibar every night! The staff is charming, friendly and quite literate (our young porter was fluent in 5 languages.) We purchased our rooms for $130.00 dollars per night via Hotwire. A recent NY Times column, Save or Splurge, Amsterdam on a $1000 Dollars a Day, recommended the Amrath! Could this trip get any better?
www.aboldpace.com

Friendly staff, clean and luxurious

by TripAdvisor Member naominicoll

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath for Valentines day and we couldn't have wished for a better hotel.

The staff were very friendly and accommodated all of our needs.

We paid extra for a city view room which in hindsight we wouldn't do again because the view was of an office block directly opposite the room. In fact the city probably had more of a 'view' of us than what we did of it.

The room was clean and was fitted with all new fixtures. The bathroom was large and spacious.

Everything was in walking distance of the hotel so we did not need to get many taxi's.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a luxurious, clean and central hotel.

Public Art - "Scheepsvaarthuis" sculptures

by yooperprof

The Scheepsvaarthuis - or "Shipping House" - is one of the most important examples of early 20th century architecture in all of Holland. It well illustrates the way in which architects in the first decades of the 1900s attempted to fuse traditions of craft, art, and engineering through the creation of new building styles that would reflect the past while preparing for the future.

Intriguing and occasionally grotesque statues adorn the front doors of the Scheepsvaarthuis, at the corner of Prins Henrikkade and Binnenkant. They are the 20th century equivalent of medieval gargoyles, I suppose. Kind of Art Nouveau, I think.

The lead architect for the building was Johan van der Mey (1878-1949), although he had the assistance of others members of the "Amsterdam School" as well. Originally used as offices, a large portion of the block has been converted to a five-star luxury hotel, the "Hotel Amrath."

Definitely worth a visit

by TripAdvisor Member City_Travels

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights just after the Christmas and for the New Year and we were impressed from the start.

We were greeted by a lovely chap who took our luggage straight to our room. The check-in was quick and smooth. I booked the Superior with canal view which was a good choice. My wife is an artist!

The bed was just like being at home i.e. kingsize and comfy with good linen. The hotel is not far from all the main attractions, we like to adventure so walking was not a problem. The concierge were very helpful and to sum up all the workers they were very friendly.

We didn't try the restaurant or any of the hotels facilities as we wanted to experience the Dutch life outside but nevertheless it did all look very appealing.

Throughout our stay we did not see any of the other guests until we checked out on New Years Day!

I would say that this hotel attracts the young and trendy, young couples or business types. It's not a bad price for what you get but be aware that you will have to pay city tax when you check-out.

We will be going back!!

Hmmm Not Really That Great

by TripAdvisor Member nickythehuman

I was really looking forward to staying at the Amrath - my partner and I booked in for a couple of nights to celebrate our anniversary. To be brutally honest, I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole experience;

The first room we were given had no view and looked out into a staircase!

We were moved to another room that was about five metres from one of the busiest roads in central Amsterdam - not that I am that bothered about noise - I just thought it was a weird re-location (we requested a city view - not a canal view which is what we ended up getting)

We had to pay an extra 20 euros a night for the new room.

There was loud building work going on above our new room at abou 9 in the morning.

I left one of my shirts in the cupboard and when we went back to get it after checking out it had dissappeared from the room. I suspect that the housekeeping had already allocated it for one of their brothers or something.

On the upside the beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows.

They brought a DVD player to our room.

Free minibar with a toblerone thrown in!

Thay gave us free bottle of wine when we complained about the building noise.

We really don't usually complain about places but this place
seemed to arouse the annoying complaing tourist that lies dormant within us! We wont be returning,

Great Hotel,Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member nukenriles

Loved the Hotel, short walk from the central train station close to all the atractions. You can walk every were very easily. The Amrath is a newly remodled hotel that managed to preserve the 30's Art Deco motif. It used to be a shipping building that was converted to a Hotel.

The room was lovely, comfortable beds, nice pillows, and extremly high ceilings. There are floor to ceiling windows that over looked a canal. we stayed in a superior delux room,they all include free mini bar and internet. The hotel needs to figure out a few bugs, hooks in the bathroom, replacement of light bulbs. But overall none of these things detracted from the overall stay which I would highly recommend.

5 Star Wannabe..not quite there yet!

by TripAdvisor Member MsTravelHag

As mentioned in the previous review, location was great, beds were very comfy, room was quite large (much bigger than your typical European hotel room) with a canal view, free and fast Wi-Fi, your basic flat screen TV with CNN, etc. A mini bar/refrigerator was stocked everyday with nips of Absolute Vodka, Remy Martin Cognac, Bacardi Rum, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Johnny Walker Scotch, and 2 bottles each of Pilsner Beer, Coke & Diet Coke, bottled waters, tonic waters, orange juice, 7-up, small bottles of white and red wine, peanuts and a Toblerone candy bar! Our room (207) also had a great Nespresso machine stocked with all types of expresso capsules and sachet tea bags! The mini bar alone saved some Euros! The Lanvin bath products also added a nice touch, along with a trouser press and the usual suspects: bathrobes and slippers! I was not too thrilled with the bathroom though (I was impressed with the blow/hairdryer though)! It was quite small, with zero hooks for towels, no bathtub, and an interesting walk-in shower with an odd "plastic sliding door." The shower does provide a rain shower head and a hand-held option but the water was never ever really hot enough! It was always bordering on lukewarm. The toilet was in a separate area. The overall decor was a tad interesting as well, dark colors and red, gold and black striped carpet! I thought the lay-out was interesting and a tad confusing as well. The elevator buttons are not labeled so I was always getting off on the wrong floor! The lobby/reception area was very small and kind of dark too! But remember the hotel was an old shipping building and the intricate wrought iron work and the interesting beauty of the building internally and externally has been preserved. However the Wellness Center was very sleek and modern and free too! Overall, I really can't complain. We got a great rate on Expedia in US dollars and I believe the hotel has only been opened since June or July 2007. There is still much construction going on (the suites are not 100% completed) and there were a few power failures..here and there! But, front and back of the house staff were always willing to help and the Housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping the rooms tidy and clean! During the evenings, Turndown service included a quick refreshing of your room and the weather report for the next day! You also receive an International Herald Tribune paper every morning! I think the Grand Amrath will be a very special property once they get through their ramp up stage and growing pains.

Fabulous bed!

by TripAdvisor Member Chelt_couple

Just returned from a long weekend stay at the Amrath. Loved the location - a few minutes walk from Central Station (a 20min train ride from Schipol) and a gentle stroll to the nightlife.

We didn't make use of the hotel facilities at all, just the very well equipped room. The bed was wonderfully comfy, the room spotless. Bathroom was fab - power shower, double sinks, deep bath and lovely products.......and piles of fluffy towels!

The room itself was spacious and the free mini bar well stocked with spirits, beer, wine and soft drinks. You could easily just stay in the room all weekend.

We did drag oursleves out and really enjoyed Amsterdam. We at in Majestic in Dam Square twice -excellent food and a really nice (quiet) atmospshere. We also went to an Argentinian steak place in a side street - had a fantastic flllet steak.

Recommend the Amrath to anyone! I booked on booking.com and got an absolute bargain. I was expecting to pay 199euros a night but ended up paying 119euros - I still don't know how that happened!!!

Amsterdam 5 star Amrath 2 star at Best

by TripAdvisor Member legmdc

Have just returned from a 3 day stay at this Hotel. We went with another couple for a short break so thought the 5 star experience would be great, what a disappointment. A short walk from Central Station to the hotel and we were greeted by a very nice gentleman who took our luggage. We were booked from 11th Feb to 14th Feb. At check in we were handed a letter to inform us that the swimming pool and jacuzzi would be closed from 11th to 14th and that the sauna and steam room would be closed on the 12th due to a leak in the pool. So basically for our whole stay we had no facilities at our disposal. However when we visited the area there was no sign of any issues and they were doing what appeared to be corporate group tours of the area and seemed very unhappy that we were using the sauna and steam room at this time. When we complained we were offered one free breakfast and a bottle of wine which was completely inadequate, however the breakfast is 25 euros each so we used it on our last morning. We were ecstatic when we went for breakfast, at the fact we had booked room only at this hotel. The continental breakfast was fine but the English hot breakfast was poor and we did not touch it at all, so our complimentary breakfast consisited of rolls, croissants and cold meats not much at 25 euros per person. Our room was lovely but at 7.30 on our first morning we were awoken by painters construsting scaffolding outside our room and shouting orders at one another while they painted and our room overlooked a courtyard with rubbish skips etc and on each subsequent morning we were awoken with sawing and rubbish being throw into the skip by the men who were working down there from around 7.30 so no where near the relaxing break we were expecting. Apart from the nice room our stay was a disaster and we were also charged 6.34 euros per day as a local tax that no-one told us about when we booked. Would never stay at this Hotel again.

AMC - Amsterdam South-EastAMC - Amsterdam South-East

De Oude Kerk / The Old ChurchDe Oude Kerk / The Old Church

madame tussaud's @ dam squaremadame tussaud's @ dam square

The cod fillet........The cod fillet........

Hotel Feedback

by gotraveling

Hi All

Looking for some hotel feedback regarding the Edan Lancaster Hotel in Amsterdam. Already have a room but can cancel. Will be walking (no car) and in town for three days in July. Trying to stay around 100 Eur., no Hostel.

Thanks
J

by margsch

If you look at the website tripadvisor there are 6 reviews there, mixed opinions, main negatives that the rooms are a little "tired" and small and breakfasr too expensive at E15. However most people said it was clean.

by pieter_jan_v

I have no experience with the hotel, but the neighbourhood is great: opposite the Artis Zoo.

Nearby other attractions:

Tropenmuseum
Resistance museum

PJ

by gotraveling

Thanks for the info. Location sounds great and a clean hotel is all I need.
J

by Turska

What is the name of the area?I´m also booking a hotel right now,and this location sounded great.

by Turska

And another question:How much is the town-tax (i´m not sure is it so in English,I use booking in Finnish)?

by pieter_jan_v

The Amsterdam tourist tax is 5% per room.

PJ

by Turska

We actually booked one of few hotels with tax included.It was called Hotel la Boheme,and it had good ratings for that price.

by AMSTERSAM

The Eden on Amstel is right by Rembrandtplein and on a canal, there are two differently priced hotels in the same building . It is generally around the price you mentioned, close to laundry (they do it),quick mart and a 10-15 min walk to cental station. If you are solo, booking for 2 gets you a bigger room, generally the same price. They do have breakfast deals. Good luck.

Comments