Hans Brinker Hotel

AMOMA Hostelworld.com
Religious Travel Budget Travel Backpacking

Value Score

Great Value!

Costs Less and Rated Higher than similar hotels. See Hotels with Higher Star Rating

Value for money

by written on April 21, 2010

I stayed in the Hans Brinker Hostel in January 2010, I think people are exaggerating a lot about the conditions of the Hostel, YES its very basic, but for the money you pay, you cant expect 5 star accommodation can you? I've stayed in a lot of Hostels and Ive paid more money for much worse conditions. We stayed in a large student group of about 100 and they looked after us really well, the breakfast room and bar is a nice place to all eat together in the mornings, and its central location is really great. Amsterdam is very much a site seeing, doing things kind of city, so all you really need is somewhere to sleep and wash and if your doing it on the cheap then I would definitely recommend this hostel we had a really fun time !!!

Greatwalk0's Profile Photo

Not a Hotel - A Hostel

by written on December 31, 2007

The Hans Brinker is an interesting experience. If you are looking for an inexpensive bed in Amsterdam, this might be your best option. The hostel (I dont think that the Hans Brinker qualifies as a "hotel.") has a good location, is inexpensive, and has reasonably friendly staff. A completely uninspired breakfast is a part of the room rate.

Some of the draw-backs include the fact that the hostel is not particularly clean and can be extremely loud, especially in the late evenings when many of the Amsterdam revelors are returning home. All this being said, the Hans Brinker makes no illusions about the quality of its hotel. This is truely a case of "you get what you pay for."

I never felt unsafe at the hostel, but I probably would not stay here again.

Unique Quality: Bar/dance club in the basement is interesting.

JennysTravels's Profile Photo

Hans Stinker Hotel

by written on June 30, 2007

I don't even know where to begin. We had just arrived from CPH and we didn't have a bed reserved in AMS. We ended up in this seth pit of rancid, loud stink!! Kids of ALL ages running wild, their welcome sign should have been a huge warning ... turn around ... sleep in the park. We booked in to an 8 Bed Dorm for 28E each (there was three of us traveling), you could barely turn around between the beds. We had an ensuite which was ok ... kinda. We returned later in the evening to find human poo on the floor. We called and complained for someone to come clean it. We ended up sleeping the night in this stink, all the while teenagers played nickynickyninedoors down the hall. We changed rooms the following night to a triple for 33E each. Still loud but no poo.

Unique Quality: Ha, ha. Now that is funny.

It's far out, there are better places closer to Centraal Station.

What a place, I loved it!

by written on May 3, 2007

After reading some bad reviews of the Hans Brinker, I decided to go there with an open mind and low expectations, not knowing quite what to expect.
Fair enough the rooms are quite small and very basic, but that's what you pay for! The beds in my room were comfy and it was all pretty clean. It has such a good atmosphere and there is no curfew which is great! The bar is alright, some good deals at happy hour and the 'nightclub' downstairs is pretty good if theres quite a few people there. The free internet access is a bonus! :]
We did not encounter any problems whilst we were there and the maids and staff were generally very friendly.
The only down side to the hotel is the breakfast (again, if you dont pay alot dont expect alot) but you can pay a few euros extra for something decent. The shower wasn't the best but was bearable and you could have a decent shower.
It is close to the centre, good nightlife is nearby and a decent supermarket is about 5 mins walk away. It is close to some of the museums and Dam square and the red light district are about 15 minutes walk or 5 minutes on a tram!
I'd reccommend hiring a bike (theres a bike rental place next to the hans brinker called mikes bikes which we used) to see the city, its a great way to explore, its a great laugh and you can get around a lot quicker than walking :]

flyingscot4's Profile Photo

Amsterdam's "Least" Friendly (and they mean it)

by written on January 29, 2007

Amsterdam is a super city (see my Amsterdam page in progress), and I truly enjoyed myself. It has to be my favorite walking city in the world. In fact, next time I go I will take my life in my hands and rent a bike. My ONLY negative comment about the city is in regard to the Hans Brinker Budget Hotel AND that I actually stayed at the place on 3 different occasions (probably afraid that the next one would be worse). I was first directed there by the TI at Centraal Station. I was given a regular dorm room (I think it was an 8 bed room), which had 8 metal bunks. One of the bunks was missing a mattress which seemed odd until I found that one of the guests was using 2 mattresses. I wish I had followed his example. The bunks had a metal bar under the spring that was inescapable. One of the other guests said that I would get used to it. I didn't, and still can't believe that I went back there on 2 other occasions. The hostel prides itself on having the most unfriendly staff, and there they do not disappoint. In fact, when I asked about a particular place I wanted to go, the staff member said, "I told you once yesterday. Now you have to find it yourself." I thought she was kidding. She wasn't! Some of the staff were much better (I have to remind myself). The rooms and bathrooms (ensuite) were not spotless, but not dirty either. Sheets were included but towels were extra.

Not everything was negative (depending on one's point of view). The breakfast (included) was pretty standard (bread, jam, cereal, lunch meats and cheese, etc., but they did have peanut butter. You could order eggs and bacon for an additional charge and they didn't seem to mind if you made a sandwich or two for your lunch. The meals were pretty good and the portions were large. The cigarette smoke wasn't too bad. The bar was open until 3:00 AM and there was lots of activity all night.

All in all, if you're looking for a party hostel and don't plan to sleep, the Hans Brinker is for you.

Unique Quality: Good party hostel. If you are looking for a place where you can have a good time and pass out, this is for you. That way you won't notice the bed until you wake up at noon. Check out their website for information and ambiance, especially the cams.

Directions: Southwest side of city. Easy tram connections.

TandyO's Profile Photo

Worst place in the universe

by written on January 12, 2007

The Hans Brinker hotel will get you affordable accommodations on anybody's budget, but it ends there. The hotel actually jokes about the incredibly poor level of accommodation it provides in its advertising, and while someone who has not stayed there thinks it may be a joke, it really isn't.

Nothing in this place was clean, the sheets had holes in them, the lockers where you keep your things had obviously been broken into several times, and there was absolutely no feeling of security there.

We actually had a cleaning person come in and go through our things WHILE WE WERE IN THE ROOM.

Stay at the Hans Brinker hotel only if you can't find a sheltered doorway to get into, I am not kidding.

Unique Quality: This place has the unique quality of somehow managing to be dirtier than thatched roof huts with dirt floors that which I have stayed in in rural locations.

lpitta's Profile Photo

Very bad experience

by written on June 4, 2006

This place is run by really bad professionals. I'm speaking seriously.
We stay here for a couple of days and changed after some really bad attitude of the staff. One of them (a big guy) the threat me because I asked for the complaint book.

We did reservations from home and at the arrival one fat girl tell us there were no vacancies. I showed her the printout of our reservation and she just shrugged and said there were no vacancies except dorms until the next day.

The other incompetent girl named Cassandra. Pay attention and tray to avoid her.
Don’t waste your time staying in this uncharacteristic place. There are a lot of places with the same prices and with much more good wave and great staff.

JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Hippie Heaven

by written on May 7, 2006

Hans Brinker is a great place in the center of the city located near Kaisergracht. You can get off the tram in the city center and it is easy to find. It has a great staff and great location and it is pickup site of www.busabout.com company. Overall, it was a great hotel and for mid range prices it offers a lot including tourist information.

6aruna's Profile Photo

for the young budget travellor only

by written on April 16, 2006

advantages
heart of the city
active bar
mostly youngsters
relatively cheap
no curfew
was clean when i visited
basic breakfast can suppliment if you add a few euros

disadvantage
boisterous youngsters
sleep difficult due to the constant movement of people
lockers inside the room don't close and not safe

crostudent's Profile Photo

Good place for meet others

by written on March 31, 2006

This place is great! You can meet a lot's of people from all over the world! I was there with my friends and we met people from USA, Australia, New Zeland, Israel,.... Only problem is that they are closed after 3. Also my experience is that place is very safe, and clean, so if you go to Amsterdam, be free to stay here!

fishandchips's Profile Photo

Grubby but Okay

by written on January 26, 2006

The hotel was easy to find and the staff friendly enough - very, very laid back. The website advised to turn right at the airport and then right again at a path then walk 5km to the hotel. We jumped on the train (obviously) and had no issue getting to our 'hostel' accommodation.

Our room had several bunks & it was only our group that got put there so we didn't have to worry about upsetting any one else. Priced at 21 euros each for our beds it was a cheap option. There was never a problem with getting in late and in a state........ Our room had both toilet and shower plus our room rate got us breakfast.

Unique Quality: The most unique quality of this place was the bacteria advertised out front. Obviously a joke and trying to 'under-promise' on the quality of our bed (see the photo & you will know what I mean - I've got more photo's but this seemed the most appropriate!!).

Budget Hoteling at its best!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 6, 2005

An awsome place, cheap at 22euro's a night and located right close to Leidersplein, Coffee shops galore, Mc donalds on the corner, ample bike parking. But as for the hotel its self you get a safe room for the night, toilet, shower and sink, all that you need, Breakfasts included but its not much, food at night is cheap (get a legendary Brinker Burger for 5euro).

Good atmosphere in there, good underground club ( well more of a bar), which has computers with free inet access, as well as a bar by the kitchen. Check out happy hour (buy 1 get 1 free) every night 17:00 - 18:00.

ManOfLaMantra's Profile Photo

Avoid it if you enjoy sleep

by written on March 6, 2005

I booked a single room here for the first night of a 1-week trip to A-dam in Feb 2005. Chose HB for the price (52 Euro for single room with bathroom) and location (Leidseplein).

Single rooms here are not the bargain they appear to be. Rooms are clean, but for less than the 52 Euro I paid at HB I got a room close to Dam Square with a safe, private bath, TV, canal views and no noisy backpackers.

Also be warned that HB has a 5-day max stay limit.

Unique Quality: Positive: great, friendly staff. Held my luggage while I found another hotel. The cheapest beer in A-dam (0.75 Euro during Happy Hour -- for guests only).

Negative: Noisy! Yeah, sure, you don't go on holiday to sleep. True. But it's hard to enjoy the sights when you're tired, especially during an extended visit. The staff here is great but the guests tend to be inconsiderately noisy. Young women yelling in the corridor at 5 AM. Others screaming in their rooms, on the street, etc.

The shower in my room was anemic. Took forever to bathe as a result.

School trip

by written on December 29, 2004

Dear,
We are a tour operator and intend to come somewhere in april with 45 pupils and teachers for one night. Can you accept us and which is you best offer?

Unique Quality: Looking for shared rooms, as for instance about 6 per room

RaquelMac's Profile Photo

Budget Hotel

by written on November 21, 2004

I stayed in a twin room, and almost everything was fine, except for the shower... The hotel has its own restaurant/pub and it is quite busy, in a wonderful area of the city.

Directions: Leidesplein

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews