Hem Hotel Amsterdam

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 27% less but rated 25% lower than other 3 star hotels

• MsCynthia's Profile Photo

4 Different Reviews

Because we stayed in Amsterdam during Queens Day Weekend, we switched hotels 4 times for the 4 nights we stayed there.It was a great opportunity to see the city because each hotel we stayed at was in 4 different locations throughout the city. It was also nice to try all the different hotels

The 1st night we stayed at the Novotel in the Rai district, the hotel was renovated and it was located right next to a train, metro and tram station. It was two stops away from the airport by train, and metro it took about 15 minutes to get into centraal station. The rooms were modern, sleek and clean.

2nd night we stayed at the Hem Hotel which was located in the Heemstraat district. The hotel is located in a residencial area, and could be a little hard to find, with a precise map and we arrived there easily. The hotel on the outside looked a little old, but the rooms were all renovated and looked stylish and clean. The only con was that check in is at 3, and you have to leave your bags in a makeshift restroom turned bag storage.

The 3rd night we stayed at the NH City North. This hotel was located on the north side of Amsterdam, in which you had to take the ferry behind Centraal station to the other side. There we waited for bus 38 which took us almost at the door of our hotel. The hotel looked really nice and modern, but the rooms were dirty and old. We didn´t like it at all. Plus having to take the Ferry and bus wasn't that much of a hassle but we had to arrive before the buses stopped running.

The 4th night we stayed at the infamous Bulldog hostel in the Red Light District. We wanted the experience of staying in a hostel. Our room had 10 other people. We really didn´t like it because when we arrived to go to sleep, people were already sleeping so we had to be quite and move around in the dark, and while we were sleeping other people arrived and were quite loud, so overall we didn´t get much sleep. However, downstairs there was a pool table, a bar, and lots of people.

More about Hem Hotel Amsterdam

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member AL_28

As a group of students travelling to amsterdam we chose the HEM hotel because of its low rates and overall I would say that the hotel was good value for money.
+ the hotel rooms were comfortable and well equipped
+ rooms were cleaned on a daily basis
+ good selection of food served for breakfast
+ two good supermarkets just one minute away
+ excellent chinese restaurant nearby
+ football pitch also one minute away

- we arrived at ten o'clock we weren't allowed to check in until two even though we had to be at the Amsterdam Arena at 2:30 as part of pre arranged package to see the amsterdam tournament meaning we missed some of it.
- twenty minutes by tram away from city centre
- vending machines ridiculously expensive (2 euros for a can of Pepsi!)
- terrible views from rooms

very far under average

we stayed there last weekend.
the beds had bedbucks, the rooms to small, the staff was very rude, there was no management at all in the weekend that we stayed (everbody told us that they couldn't do anything for us because they had no right to do so and they aren't allowed to call the management in the weekends!!) and it was to far from the centre. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Very nice, practical and cost effective

I and my wife stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, in a twin bed room. That was our first trip to the Netherlands. We are impressed with our room. Nice beds, neat bathroom. Good view of the motor way from the window (but you don't get any noise inside). Our room had a remote controlled AC. The TV was a bit small though, but we had no time to watch TV anyway!

The price is just right, and practical. Some reviewers complained about the hotel being far from the railway station or tram. But we didn't find this a problem at all. The nearest tram stop is just a pleasant 5 minute walk. Once you are on the tram, you can get to the city center in about 15 to 20 minutes. The nearest railway station is Lelylan, which is a bit far, and I'd say 15 minute walk. If you have time, and enjoy walking, 15 minutes in the morning is not a problem. If not, you can always take a taxi, and it is going to cost about 7 Euros.

The breakfasts and dinners are a bit expensive. I think breakfast is included if you book directly, and not, if you book via certain sites like Expedia. Even a 2 Liter water bottle costs about 7 Euros, so we ended up getting them from outside.

Staff in the reception are very friendly, and are very willing to help you pland your journeys, and give advice. They all spoke good English.

If I go to Amsterdam again, I don't mind staying there again - provided I get a good deal again :-)

you get what you pay for

If your only consideration is price, this hotel may be ok. It was clean and we didnt mind the location far from the city center. If you're only looking for someplace to sleep, this might be it. However, it is incredibly noisy as others noted. Loud partying until after midnight. The rooms are extremely basic. The lighting is unbelievable. Thomas Edison would be ashamed of the low lighting in the rooms. The property is out to charge for every convenience. Example: the in-room safe has been heavily painted over. If you want to put something in the hotel safe, the charge is 4 euro/day. Unheard of. We've traveled throughout Europe and this has always been a free amenity. They pressure you to purchase their buffet breakfast (baked beans and toast anyone?). Save your money, go back into town and have a nice pastry and coffee. When we checked in, they promised us a 'suite'. When we came back later in the day, our room had been given to someone else--and no suites available! We would not recommend this property to anyone. It's not even worth the lower price.

Quick to say 'no'

When we arrived the front desk was unable to find our reservation. Fortunately, I provided the confirmation number. We had to wait approximately 20 minutes while they verified our room rate. This hotel requires all payment up front including the total nights charges, deposit for TV remote, dry cleaning charges, and breakfast charge to be paid in advance. They requested that whenever leaving the hotel we turn in our room key which is exposed for everyone to know when you are out of your room. We did not do this. Our initial room charge was 99 euros, but with all added expenses it totaled l34 euros. A safe deposit box is 4 euros per day and internet is 5 euros per hour which is the minumum usage.

Our bathroom was not cleaned for three days. I then requested at the front to please have cleaned. The fourth day I requested to speak to the manager and was told he/she was not available. I again requested that the bathroom be cleaned and was told, "That is impossible. The bathrooms are cleaned daily." I again repeated my request and stated that there was soap scum on the sink and hair in a corner that did not belong to either my husband or me and I would like it cleaned. At that point the front desk person gave the information to someone else to follow up.

The phones did not work in the rooms. Therefore, you could not call within the hotel or make outgoing calls.

I did not find a customer service oriented staff and would not recommend.

Clean room, but...

by TripAdvisor Member 646464

We stayed here for six nights in April 2005 during a tourist visit to Amsterdam. Upon arrival, the two rooms we booked were not ready (it was before check-in time), but the employee at the front desk said he'd get us one right away for $20 euro (a complete rip-off!). One person in our party paid the money since she didn't want to leave her valuables at the front desk. This hotel has one side that is tourist class, and the other is a 2 star class. Luckily, I stayed in the 2-star side. While the room was very clean and spacious, the lighting was very bad. It was very difficult to see in the room although the bathroom's lights were fine. My sister stayed on the smaller tourist side and her room and bathroom were tiny! Not for the claustrophobic. It was clean for the most part, but it's worth paying $15 euro more to stay on the 2-star side. Some of the staff members were rude, while others were quite nice and helpful. The bar next to the restaurant would charge my sister $1 euro just for a cup of hot water, which we felt was ridiculous. Whatever happened to guest hospitality? Also, the Internet was frequently not operating. However, I would probably stay here again since it was inexpensive and my room was so spacious and clean. You get what you pay for!

Disgustin,Apauling,No matter how cheap Avoid

I am writting to you to complain about a recent stay at you HEM tourist inn.

Myself and my partner booked to stay at your hotel from the 28th of July until the 31st booked under the name of **** , however due to awful conditions didnt even stay for the last night as we could not bare the sight of your hotel any longer.

When we had arrived in amsterdam we went to get the hotel shuttle, in which we were cramed in. The shuttle was only 7 seats and there was 9 of us in there. Me and my partner were seperated on the shuttle and the ride was most uncomfortable.

Upon arrival at the hotel the reception looked pleasant and the staff were welcoming. When given our key and told where to go we poicked up our suitcases to go outside the door expecting a door to be on the right, the instructions told to us by reception. When there was no door to the right we walked over to the over building to where the door was, there was no sign saying that this was an entrance or anything. We tried our key which after many attempts did not work. After 10-15mins we went back over to reception, to ask about the door. To which we were told to wait and we would be escorted over to the other building to help with the door. Even then man who had escorted us over failed 3 times before managing to get it to work, obviously this needs looking at!.

We got inside the building and walked round to the stairs, as we were walking up the stairs it felt like we were in a sauna, why is there no entilation of air conditioning? this was most unpleasant. Finally we arrived at our room to see a half ripped off no smoking sticker on the door. When opening the door we were smothered with the smell of stale smoke and greeted with a packof cigarettes and an ashtray laying on the table.

Although we had booked a double room we also saw there was two singles, which after some discussion we decided we woul djust make do with and push them together. As the room was just as hot as the staircase we attempted to open the window which was very stiff, even when the window was open it did not get rid of the smell witrhin the room.

Next we ventured into the bathroom which is beyond small and cramped. When my partner took a shower due to the lack of shower door the bathroom and some of the room became flooded! The water our of the tap in the sink was ghastly we bought bottled water just so that we could brush our teeth hygenicaly! After using the toilet the smell from the pipes was disgusting the whole bathroom smelt like a sewage path. We would have kept the door closed but the bathroom seemed to be the only place with a decent lightbulb. When turning on the main light in the room we wondered if it was actually on, the light was minimal and not acceptable at all. The two mini lights by the bed only one of which worked!.

Having to pay for the television was also misleading as all that is stated on your website is that all rooms have a television, no where does it say you have to pay to switch it on.

By saturday morning we could not stand to be in the room any longer, so we booked a taxi to the airport at 2 in the afternoon even though our flight wasn't leaving until sunday morning at 7am. This is how desperate we were to escape your hotel.

Upon arrival at the airport and looking back upon our stay in Amsterdam which your hotel ruined for us, we decided we would pay another £150 each on flights back to England, this was obviously a costly experience down to you.

Overall we were disgusted with the lack of quality of the rooms and am requesting a refund or monetary compensation. We were not satisfied with the service at all.

Basic but value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Magic_Carpet_Ride

There are some great deals available with the hotel and since we were going to be out most of the time, the hotel was worth it.

The location is a little out of the city centre but there is a tram station about 10 mins walk away getting one to the attractions in about 15 mins.

The lobby and restaurant are good. The dinner buffet at the restaurant is a large spread. There is paid wireless internet access which can be useful.

The room was very basic; good only for a short stay. The facilities are also very basic and our room was a little awkwardly situated in the hotel.

Consider this hotel only if you are getting a great deal and would be spending most of your time exploring the city.

Hem Hotel, Amsterdam

by afsime1

I am trying to get some up to date info on this hotel for 3 young guys I know. Has anyone stayed here or know what it's like?
Thanks,
Alastair

Re: Hem Hotel, Amsterdam

by mariesthlm

Hi!

have no personal experience but found this link!

hope it will help a little!

Marie

Re: Hem Hotel, Amsterdam

by henneth

I use the HEM quite often with tour groups. It is just off Tram line 2 which runs through Damrak, Leidesplein and Museumplein so it's great for the main tourist sights. I have had no problems with this hotel, I would recommend it.

Comments