Hotel Acca/Van Gogh Amsterdam

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 36% lower than similarly priced 1 star hotels

More about Amsterdam

Center of AmsterdamCenter of Amsterdam

The most famous pancake and omelet house in A'DamThe most famous pancake and omelet house in A'Dam

De Oude Kerk / The Old ChurchDe Oude Kerk / The Old Church

Albert Cuyp MarketAlbert Cuyp Market

VOIP & Microsim options

by esteban222

Hi everyone.
I'll be in Amsterdam for 4 days and have 3 questions;
1) I plan to do most of my calling via Skype. I probably will not exceed the regular bandwith usage as my Skype calls should not be more than 30 mins per day. Also, I'll need to use certain iphone apps from time to time.
No tethering or downloads.
Can anyone recommend where I can get a microsim mainly for data usage?
2) My wife will be with so I will need to get another sim for her. Do any of the GSM companies allow free network minutes?
3) The phone numbers that we get with the sims - Are they valid forever or do they get void after sometime?

Thank you in advance.

Re: VOIP & Microsim options

by pieter_jan_v

There are phoneshops enough (downtown AMsterdam); they all offer different services (most of them 1- or 2 year contracts). I hope you find a short time SIM card.

Many café's hafe free Wifi hot spots, so having a free Skype call should not be that difficult.

You could rent a cell phone (http://www.rentcenter.nl/choose/europe.html), but I think that's not what you are looking for.

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Off-Season values

by shortysboy

"when is the best time to go for our budget"?... I have been four times- always in the off season and twice in February- the prices are considerably lower in Feb. Of course, you miss out on comfortably wandering around all day in warm weather. Here are a few things I felt made the mid-winter visit a good value; "smoking"- it makes every day sunny for me :), museums are always comfy and the crowds are almost non-existent, I could afford to get a nice room in the center (Centrum) of the city- very convenient and usually quite pricey. I doubt that meal prices at nice restaurants fluctuate a lot based on the season but they might- it's definitely easier to find a bargain meal in February than it is in May. There are so many things to do in the city center- and the public transportation is so good, I would make a big effort to have my party of four in a hotel there. That opens the opportunity for folks to head back to the room whenever they want and chill. Finally, there is no bad time to go to Amsterdam- just not enough time. My best memories are of interactions with the local people. As with most places, they seem more approachable and appreciative during the off-season.

Muntsplein

by navlic

This is a picture of the Muntsplein (not sure of spelling) located near Rembrandtsplein. Lots of businesses (and tourist traps!) here but also lots of people if you like people watching. My fondest memory is of my 50th birthday. It is a special occasion in Holland. They call it "meeting Abraham" or reaching the age of wisdom. The people and friends there gave me flowers, gifts, beer, cakes, etc.!!!!!!! What a wonderful day. One slightly 'dulled' part of the day - they told me that later in the afternoon, I danced on a bar. You've got to be kidding!!!! Me????!!!!!

Before everything, if you are...

by Sarah97

Before everything, if you are a Gogh-lover like me absolutely Museum of Vincent van Gogh. I bought a copy of his painting 'Sunflowers.' And it is still hung on the wall at my mom's place. I like his touch especially, it's so wild, bold, passionate and powerful.

Live Entertainment

by jo104

Dam square is a hive of activity there are the usual hot dog stands. Human statues which move when you put money in their hat. Sometimes there are more unusal street performer acts like the one in my photo of 2 sailors puppets dancing. There is a person inside the puppets making them dance

Keep an open mind. Be...

by SilverVelvet

Keep an open mind. Be curious. Use common sense, but don't be afraid to explore. I stumbled into this beautiful church in the old town of the Jordaan by accident. The pamplet was written only in Dutch, so I still don't know much about this tranquil oasis. If you can teach me about this beautiful church, please send a note.

Comments